10bit panel or Not?

n0chex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me from the below image taken from Netflix test pattern if my tv is 8 bit +FRC or a full 10 bit

2020-07-11 04.07.30.jpg

There's no banding, therefore your TV is correctly displaying what appears to be a 10-bit signal of some description.

(or the tone mapped version of the signal if it's a PQ-based HDR format. Which is still correct, just not complete).

That takes lots of different things , so you're probably not going to be able to pick out the contribution from the bit depth of the LCD panel specifically.

If there's no banding on the sources you display then you can say the LCD panel's bit depth is enough to keep up with the other hardware on the TV for those signals, which is all that matters.

Thanks the TV in question is a £299 Hitachi 58" I am very impressed with its performance especially via Netflix with Dolby Vison.

There are three 58" TVs listed on the Hitatchi website and none of them even have wide colour gamut.

It wouldn't make any difference whether they have a 10-bit panel fitted or not so it'll be 8-bit.

I have an older Samsung and that displays 8 bit in the top right where the Hitachi displays 10 bit.

2020-07-11 04.12.46.jpg

That line starts with the bitrate so it's likely the details of the video stream and not the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom