1917 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched this last night and agree with the 8 rating for the movie as it's an undeniably stunning technical achievement it's still quite saggy in places,I would agree with the picture rating but would give the sound a 9 as just seemed to be lacking in bass depth.

thanks cas loved this,absolutely stunning disc,this and le man 66 are my top discs this year,roger deacins cinematography is the star of the show,brilliant score as well.

Thanks for the review. I can’t wait to watch this, my Samsung Q90R 65” doesnt have Dolby Vision so pleasing to see HDR10+ being supported. Can’t wait. Hopefully delivered tomorrow

Thanks Cas, really enjoyed this at the cinema, purchasing from Home AV perspective.
The story and editing are great, not sure how many times I’ll rewatch, but it’s Deakins work that made me want this on UHD, glad to hear he has a commentary track too.
Waiting like a few for our £19.17 copies to arrive :)

Thanks Cas. I look forward to watching this, especially for Deakins' ability to make whatever he is given truly shine.
I am interested to know how you think this stands up against Dunkirk - No DV, no Atmos, but to my eyes & ears, truly stunning

Agree with your scores Cas, picture and soundtrack were sublime, although i did notice a couple of occasions where slightly too much processing was done on some of the speech, so would possibly give the audio a 9.5 (I think this is only noticeable when listening at close to reference levels like I listen to).

Picture though, wow! Every last drop of detail was incredible.

Who jumped out of their skin when the
bomb went off? I literally crapped myself! It felt like my building was going to fall down!!!

Mine arrived today it’s for my Birthday off my wife, can’t watch till Saturday because SWMBO said. Ha ha ha

Still waiting on my copy from Zoom. Given it was only dispatched on Thursday and is in the hands of Royal Mail, I'm not confident it will be here tomorrow.

Excellent review as always, plan to add to my list, thx.

I thought it was average at best, yes well filmed but I kept thinking that I didn't really care how it ended.

4/10 from me I'm afraid.

Totally agree 5/6 at best just for the camera work

Thanks Cas. I look forward to watching this, especially for Deakins' ability to make whatever he is given truly shine.
I am interested to know how you think this stands up against Dunkirk - No DV, no Atmos, but to my eyes & ears, truly stunning
Not in the same league as dunkirk for sound in my opinion but still excellent

I didn’t get on with Dunkirk at the cinema. UHD - I loved it, not sure if it was simply more immersive at home (the cinema audio was average), the picture and audio quality are superb.
My wife wanted to watch it again straight afterward.

This to me at least came across as a play that was filmed .. i thought it was a disappointment as a film not sure if the Screenplay was taken from a play but that is the impression given.. to me it failed to graphicly relay the absolute terror of trench warfare .. the sheer terror that going over the top must, in reality, have been, just lost . which is a shame as because of the limited part America played in the 1914-18 conflict .. few films have been made of it's horrors .. so an opportunity missed for me.

Is Dunkirk worth a watch ?
I hated Dunkirk.

It's the only movie that I've watched and ended up with a migraine at the end of it.

It's definitely a marmite film.

I hated Dunkirk.

It's the only movie that I've watched and ended up with a migraine at the end of it.

It's definitely a marmite film.
Reckon the portrayal makes a better job of telling the story of Dunkirk .. still no real answer to why the might of the Luftwaffe was not unleashed on those awaiting evacuation.. but the bloke with the tash would be needed to answer that one .. but the facts were well put and told the story .. i liked it despite not liking Marmite.. i would say 1917 is a classic Marmite film at least by the consensus on here .

Dunkirk is up there with saving private Ryan in my humble opinion so yes definitely

I've seen well over 100 World war movies, Dunkirk unfortunately is absolutely miles away from Saving Private Ryan. Such a let down. IMO.

1917 is arriving tomorrow, I'm looking forward to this.

Not in the same league as dunkirk for sound in my opinion but still excellent

Clipping galore in dunkirk, really not a good sound track for speech.

I preferred Dunkirk to this... And I think the main reason was that Dunkirk felt legitimate, whereas this felt fanciful.

Dunkirk, 7/10. Certain parts annoyed me, including, the plane on fire on the beach. Clearly see no engine, did they take it out then set fire to the plane?

1917, 8/10. Will see if it's better on home viewing. The screening I saw it on, Odeon, had a grainy picture.

Band of Brothers, 10/10!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the review Cas, been waiting to re watch this at home after seeing at the cinema - the single shot just had me gripped throughout, hoping to enjoy it as much 2nd time round.

One of the few movies that I really want to watch the special features on too

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom