1917 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Kind of reminds me of Terrence Malick's recent films. He gets so much praise for the visuals & yet the actual DP, Emmanuel Lubezki, seldom gets a mention.

As an aside, i always thought Deakins comes across a little aloof. His has a kind of Ronnie Wood esque swagger about him...
Isn't this pretty much always the case? Almost anyone who is successful in any aspect of life has a team behind them who don't always get the credit they deserve.

Deakins probably doesn't give a damn how he his perceived, provided the end result is acclaimed.

Dunkirk, 7/10. Certain parts annoyed me, including, the plane on fire on the beach. Clearly see no engine, did they take it out then set fire to the plane?

1917, 8/10. Will see if it's better on home viewing. The screening I saw it on, Odeon, had a grainy picture.

Band of Brothers, 10/10!!!!!!!!
Huge band of brothers fan!

think they will ever release a 4K of it with upgraded sound?

Thanks Cas, really enjoyed this at the cinema, purchasing from Home AV perspective.
The story and editing are great, not sure how many times I’ll rewatch, but it’s Deakins work that made me want this on UHD, glad to hear he has a commentary track too.
Waiting like a few for our £19.17 copies to arrive :)
Did you get your copy, I did the same offer from zoom but Tuesdays post has been and no sign of mine yet. They were supposed to has dispatched it last Thursday ☹️

Huge band of brothers fan!

think they will ever release a 4K of it with upgraded sound?
If it was I’d be there day one!
I’m sure it was shot on 35mm, so would be a great upgrade

edit
Looks like it was (I think :))
1FA22000-425C-4E75-BB98-FB90F13052AE.jpeg

I've just finished watching it. Enjoyed it, certainly kept up a good pace. Picture quality was brilliant and the sound the same. Good Atmos effects earlier on in the film. Even the wife enjoyed it. Solid 8/10 from me.

Waiting on my disc coming from hmv, loved the movie in the cinema, sometimes a storyline might be a bit week in places but other elements make it a must own for me

My 4k disc came tonight via Amazon.....going upstairs to watch it soon....compare it with the rest of the streaming services l have purchased it from....Amazon stream HD was by far superior to Disney's FAUX 4k HDR stream....Atmos...being the main thing

My 4k disc came tonight via Amazon.....going upstairs to watch it soon....compare it with the rest of the streaming services l have purchased it from....Amazon stream HD was by far superior to Disney's FAUX 4k HDR stream....Atmos...being the main thing
Let us know how it compares? I’ve bought the disc for this one, basically twice the price of the streaming services, so keen to see what the comparison is like!

Let us know how it compares? I’ve bought the disc for this one, basically twice the price of the streaming services, so keen to see what the comparison is like!

It's only HD and 5.1 on iTunes, so I reckon the disc was the way to go on this one.

It's only HD and 5.1 on iTunes, so I reckon the disc was the way to go on this one.
That's rude - It's 4K & Atmos on iTunes USA!
Gotta be another "Rights" issue.

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 16.52.11.png

Don’t understand those with the necessary equipment (ie player) would stream ? Or am I missing something

Don’t understand those with the necessary equipment (ie player) would stream ? Or am I missing something
Price and convenience. You can choose 2 4K and Atmos films on iTunes for the same sort of price as one 4K disc. And the quality isn’t so far off that of the disc that it’s an easy decision.

good movie i thought it ended too soon when i saw the credits i was like wtf

Price and convenience. You can choose 2 4K and Atmos films on iTunes for the same sort of price as one 4K disc. And the quality isn’t so far off that of the disc that it’s an easy decision.
And if you catch them on a special, the price to rent could be as low as 99c.
Yep, after 48 hours, it's gone, but over the years there have been a lot of very acclaimed 4K Movies that I'm glad I saw, but don't feel a need to own.

I must confess that I went see '1917' because of my curiosity of the one take technique used making the film, for the observant it wasn't too hard to identify the scenes where editing cuts could be placed, giving the illusion of a continuous battlefield action sequence.
When combined with excellent sound effects the movie impressed when viewed, but for me did not leave any lasting classic movie memories, 1917 had its moments but a David Lean movie it was not.
Apart from 'All Quiet on the Western Front' the 1930 classic (and also the 1979 version as well), WWI has had mostly straight to video productions made in recent years, this is understandable I guess as modern audiences know little about WWII history without thinking about a war waged a hundred years ago.
I will give 1917 eight out of ten. It's probably unlikely we'll see many other attempts at accurately recreating this bloody period of early 20th century history with such enthusiasm and dedication again.

In some cases the film comes 2 weeks earlier to streaming, it's often half the price of the disc, and you can watch it right now. And the AV difference really isn't the chasm that some would have you believe it is. It's a very slight win for disc and even side-by-side it's hart to tell which is which. That's why.

I buy discs for films I really care about, and streams for films I'd just quite like to see. Anyway, in the UK at least, the disc is the clear winner here. Which is why I bought 1917 in physical form.

In some cases the film comes 2 weeks earlier to streaming, it's often half the price of the disc, and you can watch it right now. And the AV difference really isn't the chasm that some would have you believe it is. It's a very slight win for disc and even side-by-side it's hart to tell which is which. That's why.

I buy discs for films I really care about, and streams for films I'd just quite like to see. Anyway, in the UK at least, the disc is the clear winner here. Which is why I bought 1917 in physical form.

I like your logic there. Similar here, I rent discs and then only buy those worthy of repeat viewings. There's just too much crap out there to warrant blind buys...

Best 4k disc l have seen.....Far more detail and realistic looking over the streaming services.A fine example of you dont require film grain in a war movie to make it authentic looking,the films musical soundtrack is a classic in the making,l normally grudge paying £25 for a disc but in this case it was worth every penny

Just to add to my opinion of the 1917 4k disc...l was beginning to fall out with the 4k disc format...as a few disc purchases over the last 4 months had been a little disappointing to say the least last 2 star wars discs where dreadful in 4k but 1917 has revived my enthusiasm for this format PQ is reference, got Top Gun and War of the Worlds on order for June the 8th both where reference surround sound movies when they first came out....So looking forward to them

It's even worse that they did it all for free. You're like one of those people that say the warehouse workers at Amazon do more than Bezos.
Think this film would have looked as good with no costumes? No props? No set dec? No SFX... I could go on.

The hundreds of people you refer to owe the prestige they now have from working on this film to the genius of Roger Deakins. It is reasonable to surmise that the film would not have been half as good if he had not been on board.
True.

Doesn't hurt to be polite though. Even if you as good as Deakins. All hail Lord Deakins

Think this film would have looked as good with no costumes? No props? No set dec? No SFX... I could go on.
And those people all got paid. Deakins‘ work is exceptional and is rewarded as such. Very few can do what he can do. At this point his name alone will draw ticket sales. No one cares who did the costumes.

Kind of reminds me of Terrence Malick's recent films. He gets so much praise for the visuals & yet the actual DP, Emmanuel Lubezki, seldom gets a mention.

As an aside, i always thought Deakins comes across a little aloof. His has a kind of Ronnie Wood esque swagger about him...

Definitely Ronnie Wood and a little Rod Hull

And those people all got paid. Deakins‘ work is exceptional and is rewarded as such. Very few can do what he can do. At this point his name alone will draw ticket sales. No one cares who did the costumes.
Still need to wear them though and your average Amazon warehouse worker doesn't care who Rodger Deakins is

Still need to wear them though and your average Amazon warehouse worker doesn't care who Rodger Deakins is
I'm sure plenty of amazon workers care. Not sure why it's relevant though. You're not comprehending the differences between an analogy and a metaphor. Anyway. This is pointless. Deakins is great. Not sure what he ever did to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom