1917 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

No specific Atmos effects? What about behind the German lines underground? What about the plane flyovers? What about the arial bombardments? No story spoilers just locations. The only Atmos issue I had is that I recently re ran Audyssey and when I do that the height speakers are always slightly out of whack. There were no height effects in the tunnels and I was pretty sure they wouldn't miss that trick. Turns out I was right. Once I checked modified the levels that part of the movie was raining height effects.

I think we talk at cross purposes: I don't watch a film looking out for noises above my head and thinking about how something sounds...I just enjoy the film. Nothing distracted me from the film, so IMHO it was nicely done. That's all I meant.

If I find myself analysing then it's usually a sign that the film isn't for me and I'm not that interested. I watched 'Ford v Ferrari' on a plane a while ago and really enjoyed it, so I've added it to my rental list to watch again. I'm sure it'll look and sound better, but it's more that I enjoyed the film, so I want to watch it again.

I think we talk at cross purposes: I don't watch a film looking out for noises above my head and thinking about how something sounds...I just enjoy the film. Nothing distracted me from the film, so IMHO it was nicely done. That's all I meant.

If I find myself analysing then it's usually a sign that the film isn't for me and I'm not that interested. I watched 'Ford v Ferrari' on a plane a while ago and really enjoyed it, so I've added it to my rental list to watch again. I'm sure it'll look and sound better, but it's more that I enjoyed the film, so I want to watch it again.
It sounds like you've gotten used to Atmos. Or your brain has just decided to filter out anything it doesn't like lol.

I've got used to my system sounding fantastic and find I'm just enjoying the content rather than the tech. Of course I hear sounds overhead, from behind or even 'outside' of the room but I try not to consciously look out for those things because I find it draws me out of the film: I'm just enveloped by a bubble of sound and in good examples like this film, it just feels natural and realistic rather than sound from a pile of separate speakers.

I've got used to my system sounding fantastic and find I'm just enjoying the content rather than the tech. Of course I hear sounds overhead, from behind or even 'outside' of the room but I try not to consciously look out for those things because I find it draws me out of the film: I'm just enveloped by a bubble of sound and in good examples like this film, it just feels natural and realistic rather than sound from a pile of separate speakers.
Yeah I was just kidding. I know where you are coming from. If the job is done well then you shouldn't notice it and should just be part of the story telling. I'm just glad that you are now appreciating good Atmos sound mixes :)

Has anyone had any freezing problems with 1917 on UHD Blu-ray? Watched it last night for the first time (on an Oppo UDP-203) everything fine until chapter 9 and then it’s freezing and pixelating so much that I had to jump to the next chapter! I’ve checked the player has the latest firmware by the way.

Could that be a dodgy disc? Player hasn’t had any issues with any other UHD discs before. Thanks.

Forget it - just cleaned the disc - tiniest finger print at the edge - removed that and it’s fine!

Last edited:
Has anyone had any freezing problems with 1917 on UHD Blu-ray? Watched it last night for the first time (on an Oppo UDP-203) everything fine until chapter 9 and then it’s freezing and pixelating so much that I had to jump to the next chapter! I’ve checked the player has the latest firmware by the way.

Could that be a dodgy disc? Player hasn’t had any issues with any other UHD discs before. Thanks.

Forget it - just cleaned the disc - tiniest finger print at the edge - removed that and it’s fine!
Yeah the disc I was watching froze once but no pixelation. I stopped, cleaned then restarted it. The disc seems to be fine after that.

Finally got to watch this. I didn't have big expectations beyond Roger Deakins' magic. However I actually found the storyline & the "all in one take" look of it completely absorbing.
The only part that dragged for me was
when Lance Corporal Schofield meets the French Girl Lauri. I know that the story of a Baby getting much needed Milk from a Canteen is true, though occouring earlier in the War, but that part seemed very strung out
But really enjoyed it otherwise, & the choice of the two main Actors was spot on. 9/10

P.S. A Lannister & a Stark as Brothers - who would have thought it! ;)

^One of the best war movies IMO despite only centring on one single event. Both main actors played their part beautifully and the cinematic photography was brilliant, reminded me so much of War Horse.

4E44E79C-6D0E-482C-BD33-537F1B9F77A7.jpeg
E63F7144-45E9-427C-80DF-FF07A6A79516.jpeg
5F805EBE-2EB6-4B28-80A8-D002DA669C11.jpeg

Last edited:
Watched this for the 2nd time last night but for the first time on 4K disc. I agree with most of Cas's review but I rate the film itself higher; it's good enough in my eyes to make my own Top 100 but I can't disagree with Cas's technical scores as PQ & AQ are both out of the top drawer. That scene in the bombed-out village with the flares falling is absolutely gorgeous. The audio covers a lot of ground but some of the best bits (in amongst the crisp footfalls, the concussive explosions & plane crashes) are the swirling strings late on in the film; it's totally 3 dimensional and completely enveloping. Brilliant. The whole thing is film-making of the highest order & I'm already looking forward to watching it again. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom