1917 Review & Comments

Saw this last night, still thinking about it. Truly a showcase for the horrors of war. Shot, acted and directed stunningly.

the final scene where he flips the picture to reveal the wording from his wife and child was particularly moving amongst a number of emotional moments in the film

Great review Kumari, going seeing it tonight at my local IMAX. Really cannot wait....

I watched this last night, this does make my top 10 films for 2019, in my top 5.

What wonderful film, the cinematography is breathtaking.. also the soundtrack simply wow..!
I was mesmerised with whole film couldn’t take my eyes off the screen for a minute.

Makes you realise the sacrifices our previous generations made for us.
Never Forgot
Modern day classic for me
9/10
☺️

Easily Sam Mendes best film to date for me.

Thank you for the review. This was our first visit to The Depot in Lewes (apparently a completely independent cinema set up with love and care by a wealthy local) and I has not realised I was going to experience Atmos for the first time.
A very good experience, somewhat better than I had thought (I had supposed I’d find the single shot Idea a distracting gimmick) and, aside from a couple of very very tiny niggles about a couple of cliched story points and “would that really have happened in the army back then” moments I thought it told the story well.

I mean honestly has any character in a film ever fallen into a river DOWNSTREAM of a waterfall?!? Worst example ever was Star Wars Phantom Menace when their submarine bongo - having just come up out of the ruddy ground for heavens sakes - goes over a waterfall (may have only been in the cut scenes to be fair).

Best examples would have to be Predator and Romancing the stone!

in terms of accuracy I’m sure the film makers were correct but the newly dug trenches in chalk looked quiet strange as we are so used to seeing mud in the pictures.

I’m unsure that a message “runner” would be chosen due to his sibling, that he would be told the content of his orders or that he would repeat those orders to all and sundry?

Saw this two days ago in Dolby Atmos and 4K laser projection and this was an amazing movie !!
The direction, the cinematography , the sets and the acting where very well done.....i love war movies and this one i’m gonna watch again next week.
I’ll buy this movie on 4k disc when released.

9.5 out of 10 from me :)

in terms of accuracy I’m sure the film makers were correct but the newly dug trenches in chalk looked quiet strange as we are so used to seeing mud in the pictures.
I've been trying to find out on this.

The Somme may have been more chalky than Passchendaele.

This was set around the time of Operation Alberich

Operation Alberich - Wikipedia

Which might be that the allies have advanced over abandoned unshelled farmland.
[\Spoiler]

Awesome movie, breathtaking in IMAX. Please go out and see it - we need to support movies like this to save us from a world with Marvel and Disney drivel only.

Watched it yesterday afternoon in the new Odeon Luxe Islington cinema.

Epic movie. Extraordinary cinematography, lighting & set design it's like watching a computer game, war film, documentary, very linear & immersive. Religious in places which really adds to the experience. My only issue is l wanted a bit more war combat action but it's not that kind of film it's about there prospective & putting you right in there journey.

I went to see this film at the Sheffield IMAX yesterday afternoon. It was a simply stunning piece of film-making.

When the end of the film came and the titles started, not one member of the audience stood up to leave. Every single person remained seated in absolute silence whilst the titles rolled past.

I have never, ever seen that before, and is perhaps the most highly poignant approbation possible....

Just checked, & it seems the German release date is January 16th, so I hope to catch this next week

Just watched it at the Imax laser at LS and i will probably be the only one,but the movie didnt move me as much as other war dramas.

Superb film, immersive and emotional. 8.5/10

But...
Benedict Cumberbatch and the guy from Gavin and Stacey, serious bit of miscasting there. Totally ruins the immersion at the pivotal moment

Not so glowing review from Richard Brody in The New Yorker... :confused:

I went to see this film at the Sheffield IMAX yesterday afternoon. It was a simply stunning piece of film-making.

When the end of the film came and the titles started, not one member of the audience stood up to leave. Every single person remained seated in absolute silence whilst the titles rolled past.

I have never, ever seen that before, and is perhaps the most highly poignant approbation possible....

happened to me once and that was at the end of Saving Private Ryan, could have heard a pin drop. A fine review of the movie, could do worse than have the reviewers on here petition for inclusion on Rotten Tomatoes, mind you they may get lost in the dross as there’s some diabolical movie reviewers on that site these days. I find myself using and relying on just 3 now, here, Mark kermode and Roger Eberts.

Awesome movie, breathtaking in IMAX. Please go out and see it - we need to support movies like this to save us from a world with Marvel and Disney drivel only.
To be fair, there is room for both. I love the Marvel and some Disney films, but equally I loved this.
I also love eating at quality restaurants, but I also love the occasional McDonald's.

I can't stand these one take gimmicks of late. It was done amazingly, and never bettered on True Detective season 1, and we've had a slew since, culminating in the terrible 'Birdman'. But seeing all the praise this is getting, coupled with Deakins involvement I'm actually looking forward to this. On the 4k home release of course.

Same when I went to see it in Picturehouse Central London yesterday. Definitely sign of a great film.

Loved it myself. Even though I started off looking for the "cuts", I quickly became completely engaged throughout. This format could easily have become a bit too much after a while, but every now and again changing the point of view kept things fresh. Easily one of the best films I've seen in the past year, quite the achievement. Hopefully, Deakins gets another deserved gong too.

To be fair, there is room for both

Yes, but only if movies like this one earn some money at the box office. As another example, Underwater seems to have flopped hard - it may be a bad movie (no idea yet, but it’s also beside the point) and I dislike the lead actress - but the point is that very few entertaining movies are successful now unless they are about superheroes, or are remakes of old Disney IPs.

Only a few films over the last decade have completely transported me to another place and this was one of them.
Truly, truly stunning.
While the start was a little slow in places, the last 45 minutes or so was epic filmmaking.
The trip through the devestated city at night should in its own right win Oscars.

Yet to see it .. my point being how few films have actually been made on the most pointless and bloodiest conflict in history.. when there are endless films centred actually on or around the American Civil War.. i wonder why.

Off to see this tonight in glorious Swindon, can’t wait to be honest! Although quite envious of all of you who have lovely state of the art laserdolby4katmosimax cinemas on your doorstep!

Watched at IMAX, 4K, laser projected.
Completely blown away, I was totally with the fellas on the one of the most emotional journeys I’ve been on in a Long while, the bravura filmmaking on show was on another level!
The level of immersion of the seemingly ‘one take’ style was like nothing I’ve seen at this scale of filmmaking, I haven’t been in awe of a movie in a long time (& i watch everything) but this left me profoundly god smacked.
cinematography, music, performances (& the fab cameos) everything hit me just right. Every detail of it.
God level cinema
10/10

Off to see this tonight in glorious Swindon, can’t wait to be honest! Although quite envious of all of you who have lovely state of the art laserdolby4katmosimax cinemas on your doorstep!
Cineworld are in the process of upgrading their multiplexes with next gen laser projection, so hopefully Swindon is due to get done soon; as the PQ from old fashioned xenon projectors just looks washed out once you’ve become accustomed to laser :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom