Quantcast

2 cat 6 cable. 1 Socket

DefJam159

Novice Member
Hi Guys,
I’m a bit new into this type of thing.
I have just done up a house and had the electrician run some network cables from the source area (window where the router is) to the living room and to the main bedroom.
I have just got round to fitting the RJ45 sockets and it looks like he has fed one cable from the source to the living room, then another cable from the living room to the main bedroom. (Rather than both from the source)
Is it viable to connect two rj45 cables onto one socket (physically it is, but will it hinder the wired connection) or is there a proper way which he should have followed?

Blu4KHD

The 'proper' way would have been to run both cables from your 'Source' so Source to Living room and Source to bedroom then it would have been just a matter of plugging both into the back of the router and hey presto hard wired internet into living room and bedroom.

From how you describe it's installation you will have to install a powered Ethernet switch (4 port) in the living room so that the cable coming from source (router) goes into living room Ethernet switch and then plug in the bedroom Ethernet cable and also another Ethernet cable so you have hard wired broadband in the living room and bedroom

Puntoboy

Yep. Unfortunately that has added a "hop" into the link between the source and the bedroom as posted above. A small switch in the living room will now be your best option. In most cases this won't cause any issues providing that the source is only your router as the single cable from there to your living room will be plenty for most broadband connections. IT also gives you opportunity to run most connected devices in the living room such as a games console, TV, media player etc.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You can use splitters to run 2 network feeds on 1 Cat 6 cable, but it's not advisable, as it reduces the link to 10/100Mb rather than 1-10Gb that you can get on full Cat 6.

It sounds like he's wired it as if for a landline telephone, as this is how you wire phone sockets.

I second the suggestion of fitting a small network switch to retain performance and give you the sockets where you need them.

mushii

I have seen lots of sparkies 'daisy chain' an entire house in Cat 6, then have been asked to 'fix it' for them after the spark walked away from the job. One was 50+ sockets all daisy chained with 2 cables coming back to node 0

mushii

They do it with TV aerials, they do it with phone cables, they do it with alarm cables, network cabling is just more wire to them.