Question 2006 TH-42PX600U has a problem with antenna channels

Wes Kootenay

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I spend most of my on-line time on tractor forums - so I am completely out of my depth here, but after a week of searching the 'net (including this forum) I am baffled :(

Last year we were given the above plasma tv, hooked it up to Shaw satellite - all good, no problems. We have a local TV Society broadcasting 5 digital channels so we decided to buy an antenna and hook up. Tested the antenna direction with our 2009 Toshiba flat-screen, worked great. Connected the antenna to the Panasonic, did a scan, it found the channels but, after pressing OK to accept, they disappear. I checked the firmware version and found it had never been updated from new. Managed to find a 1 gig SD card and updated to the latest version, but no change - a scan finds the channels but they disappear. Decided that the antenna was too close to the satellite dish so it was moved higher on the other end of the roof - same problem. I've studied the manual cover to cover and checked every setting - am I missing something?
If this problem can't be fixed, is there some magic device I can use to communicate with the antenna then output to the TV's input?

Thank you in advance. Cheers! :beer:

Stab in the dark, the only thing that springs to mind is you need to do a first time scan, not an add/replace channels scan. Does it give you a reset option?
You don't mention the model details?

Stab in the dark, the only thing that springs to mind is you need to do a first time scan, not an add/replace channels scan. Does it give you a reset option?
You don't mention the model details?

Thanks for the reply.
When I did the 2009 firmware update the tv was reset and I had to do a new scan. I have a feeling that Panasonic realized plasma wasn't going anywhere and bailed, leaving me with a pre-2008 spec antenna tuner?
Anyway, I may have found a fix. I have a Digital Converter Box coming that has the latest specs and HDMI out - apparently worked for several buyers in a similar situation.

Cheers!

Try doing a manual scan on one SD multiplex only and see if you can store those?

Thanks again.
If I knew what an 'SD multiplex' was, I'd try it (Google didn't help)

It means “Standard Definition Multiplex” (Applicable here in the UK).
w0z hasn't noticed you’re based in Canada.
After scanning and finding the digital channels did you press “apply” before pressing “ok”.
The exact method of tuning and storing channels is detailed on page 14 of the TV's user manual which is easily found with a Google search.

oops I didn't notice!
I meant scanning manually, one UHF frequency (channel) which in the UK carries a standard definition tv channel multiplex. Does not apply in Canada. Apologies
In retrospect I'm an idiot, there were a lot of clues that it wan't UK!

oops I didn't notice!
I meant scanning manually, one UHF frequency (channel) which in the UK carries a standard definition tv channel multiplex. Does not apply in Canada. Apologies

No probs, it catches us all out.
Unfamiliar brand names are the giveaway, or one's you know we don't have here in the UK like “Shaw Satellite” in the OP's post.

It means “Standard Definition Multiplex” (Applicable here in the UK).
w0z hasn't noticed you’re based in Canada.
After scanning and finding the digital channels did you press “apply” before pressing “ok”.
The exact method of tuning and storing channels is detailed on page 14 of the TV's user manual which is easily found with a Google search.
OK, thanks for the info.
Yes, I did 'apply' before 'ok'. I have the printed manual and a downloaded copy.

oops I didn't notice!
No apology needed, I appreciate the help - thanks again :beer:

Problem solved!
Bought a digital converter box for $30, connected it to the antenna RX cable and by HDMI to the TV, a quick scan pulled in our TV Society channels + two US (we are not far from the border).
Cheers! :beer:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom