2012 MacBook Pro black screen issue

drb5

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me please?

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, which I bought from Apple as a refurbished unit back in 2013, so I am the only owner since then.

I hardly ever use it now, but it's handy for working from home, so I attempted to start it up and the following is what happens..

- I get the start up tone and a grey screen which flickers a bit
- it then turns black and doesn't do anything more
- plugged in a monitor and the screen briefly shows a grey box that I can select the language then goes black again
- if I remove the wire for monitor it shows the grey box again for a split second and goes black again
- if it works well enough I can select a language, press return it will then show a password reset screen(provided of course that I continue plugging in and removing lead

I have tried removing the rear casing, disconnecting the battery and hard drive, also tried resetting pram etc, but nothing has so far worked.

Is there any way I can reset/erase the laptop without it going into recovery mode, as I simply can't see the screen enough to complete that kind of task?

Just take the HDD drive out and whack it throughly with a hammer. Data destroyed. Then you can sell/donate it.

:laugh::laugh:

It's passed through my mind.
Well if you’re just getting rid of it and want your data gone. That’s the easiest way.
If you want it working again you’ll need to take to a repair shop for a quote. It’s a hardware problem and not something you can fix with a reinstall of MacOS.

Thats the news I was expecting, but hoped not to hear :)

It's helpful to have it for work, but there's not much point throwing money at it. Might just break it and donate it after all like you suggested.

Thats the news I was expecting, but hoped not to hear :)

It's helpful to have it for work, but there's not much point throwing money at it. Might just break it and donate it after all like you suggested.

With the HDD out you could still list on eBay as spares/repair if the money would be helpful.

Repair wise I would guess it’s either the board or gpu (might need the solder reflowing. Or could be as simple as new display cables. If you have a third party repair store near you, well worth getting a no obligation quote.

Nice one. Thanks very much for the help. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom