2019 Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) hits the UK

In my own direct experience, and experience of working with a lot of people who've taken tests, 48 hours is a good turn around. Most take 3-5 days.

It was quicker 6 months ago than now.

Durham City Centre. Tier 2 Lockdown. How quiet is it on a weekend? Not very apparently (best watch video muted I suspect) :)

Oh, and this is a councillor spouting bollocks. BTW not everyone has this opinion in the County.

Last edited:
In my own direct experience, and experience of working with a lot of people who've taken tests, 48 hours is a good turn around. Most take 3-5 days.

It was quicker 6 months ago than now.
Mine home test was within 48 hours and went to Glasgow from Cardiff. Really impressed with this

Durham City Centre. Tier 2 Lockdown. How quiet is it on a weekend? Not very apparently (best watch video muted I suspect) :)

Oh, and this is a councillor spouting bollocks. BTW not everyone has this opinion in the County.

With the bars they are better off having last orders at 9.30 and closing the bar at 11.00. They would stagger out as their beer ran out then. My Saturday nights out in Cardiff used to be enjoyable meeting my mates but when you go less and drink less and then witness the carnage on a Saturday night it is no surprise to me things at the way they are. Some bars were quite scary with so many p*ss heads in them. Some of the guys would put you on the floor if you looked t them the wrong way though these were in the minority. I guess once the virus has sped it's way through the student population some form of herd immunity will develop. I am convinced the virus has made far more encroachment into the population than we know. This combined with a vaccine even with steady falling immunity will hopefully bring it under control over the next year

Anybody got any tips of how to pick up on groups of cyclists skimming past you from all directions in groups and puffing and panting with no masks ?? There seem to be a lot more out and freely using the pavements. Anybody have this problem ?

I was thinking. If you go from level 2 to level 3 COVID restrictions, do you go back to level 2 if things get better. Does not seem to make sense to me as going to level 3 suggests that level 2 has failed ?? Do you have to wait until things get back to level 1 to come out of level 3 ? Or is that what they are all talking about at the moment ?

Let me put it this way.
You have thought it through more then the government.

Let me put it this way.
You have thought it through more then the government.

There is officially no exit strategy. So we embarked on this system without any plans in place for ending it. I'd say it's unbelievable but it really isn't anymore.

Meanwhile Jeremy Farrar is on SAGE is he not?

I was thinking. If you go from level 2 to level 3 COVID restrictions, do you go back to level 2 if things get better. Does not seem to make sense to me as going to level 3 suggests that level 2 has failed ?? Do you have to wait until things get back to level 1 to come out of level 3 ? Or is that what they are all talking about at the moment ?
In Birmingham we have been in the equivalent of level 2 restrictions for a lot longer than when the new levels were introduced. On Monday the new figures were released for the previous 7 day period and there had been a rise of 22% in infections. Going by that, dropping from 3 to 2 seems pointless.

There is officially no exit strategy. So we embarked on this system without any plans in place for ending it. I'd say it's unbelievable but it really isn't anymore.

I really think they need to start looking at some kind of middle road. Not suggesting they do not try to keep it down but there must be some way of protecting the more vulnerable in society without locking them away while a good proportion of business gets back to work. At the moment effectively one plan with a variety of lockdowns in place but lock downs nevertheless. In my head I am still thinking of super COVID free zones in society for the more vulnerable within a range of day to day activity. It would never be perfect but there is nothing about perfect that is happening now. Otherwise it is stop and start until a vaccine I guess or major lock downs continue

I read an article yesterday in The Sun, well online anyway. It said that London hospitals were preparing to take delivery within the next couple of weeks of the vaccine in order to start vaccinating health workers.

Now it was The Sun so I took it with a pinch of salt. However I could quite believe it. I think they are desperate to vaccinate health workers for precisely this reason. It'll be done as soon as possible.

Not the best of news - but still too early to know what this means:

Doesn't really mean much. We've known this for months.

In fact it's been been known for decades when it comes to viral infections and antibodies.

What matters is if the immune system can recognize subsequent infections and ramp things up again.

Antibodies aren't the only way in which the body can fight off infection, memory B cells and T cells are a factor too.

Of course what we do know is that it doesn't do a great job of doing that with existing coronaviruses.

Vaccines however should do a much better job of priming the immune system.

I think there's a good chance we'll get at least 12 months immunity.

Recent research has shown people still have some immunity to SARS after 17 years!

Many of the media stories today do a very bad job of explaining things.

@Mevlock - It may be to have the vaccine available in hospitals when approved.

Popped up to Newcastle this morning. Depressingly bleak. Managed to get everything done before Forbidden Planet opened (last stop on the way back to the car).

The NHS app actually changed from amber (HIGH) to red (HIGH) when I was there so I guess it must be doing something. Had to shoo a couple of old dears back to the two metre line on the floor at the M&S checkout. It isn't just the young-uns who don't give a crap.

When I left Newcastle the Kard Bar was still there.

Doesn't really mean much. We've known this for months.

In fact it's been been known for decades when it comes to viral infections and antibodies.

What matters is if the immune system can recognize subsequent infections and ramp things up again.

Antibodies aren't the only way in which the body can fight off infection, memory B cells and T cells are a factor too.

Of course what we do know is that it doesn't do a great job of doing that with existing coronaviruses.

Vaccines however should do a much better job of priming the immune system.

I think there's a good chance we'll get at least 12 months immunity.

Recent research has shown people still have some immunity to SARS after 17 years!

Many of the media stories today do a very bad job of explaining things.

I think if you look at the headline only, it's a fair point. But the article itself does go into the t cell question, and that a vaccine would be much more effective.

Popped up to Newcastle this morning. Depressingly bleak. Managed to get everything done before Forbidden Planet opened (last stop on the way back to the car).

The NHS app actually changed from amber (HIGH) to red (HIGH) when I was there so I guess it must be doing something. Had to shoo a couple of old dears back to the two metre line on the floor at the M&S checkout. It isn't just the young-uns who don't give a crap.

Had queues all along my building today for my chippy here in Northumberland. Even with the crappy weather.

Never seen an October half term Tuesday like it. Helps that we're the only one open in the area though. It's as if it's July again!

Personally I haven't stepped foot in the city centre since February.

I think if you look at the headline only, it's a fair point. But the article itself does go into the t cell question, and that a vaccine would be much more effective.

Agreed, my comment was aimed more at the many many other articles that have popped up today concerning the research. Many of them have done a very poor job of explaining what it all means.

Last edited:
When I left Newcastle the Kard Bar was still there.

The old one in the Handyside Arcade was my stomping ground when I was a kid :)

It moved to Cross Street where it eventually burned down. Mr Sandells passed away in the fire :(

Newcastle was pretty awful today. Lots of places closed. I haven't been since March (the last time I had my hair cut, I go to a place in Newcastle). I honestly don't know what the high street will look like once COVID buggers off. But it isn't looking good now.

My old apprentice/colleague has had it.
Ill for 3 days, temp, loss of smell etc.
Isolated for the required period, now back at work and in the gym.
He's mid twenties, no underlying conditions and pretty healthy, no excess bodyweight and doesn't eat excessive carbs, sugary foods and drinks alcohol infrequently.

It moved to Cross Street where it eventually burned down. Mr Sandells passed away in the fire :(
I didn't know he died in the fire. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom