2019 iPad Air and iPad Mini

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New iPads released with the A12 Bionic chip and improved screens.

The Mini starts at £399, and the Air at £479.

Does this mean there will be no refresh for the basic 9.7" iPad? My Air2 is struggling and the new 10.5" is too large. I might have to get a mini instead or would a refurbished current model be a worthwhile buy?

Bit of a price jump. 256gb for £549. No 128gb option.

128gb iPad mini 4 for 379 at on a respected reseller. Appreciate it is an older chip but still.

I wouldn't need that much storage as I basically just use it to consume media, surf the net and run DJI Go software. My Air2 is a 64Gb cellular model and I've barely put anything on it. I kind of need cellular but it's not essential.

I tend to max out. Blurb recons 10-12gb for essential and pre loaded stuff.

We will need a new pad or two soon and watching the prices is annoying.

599 for the 64gb air.

The more I think about it, the more I think that a refurbished older model or something like the Huawei Mediapad M5 would make more sense for my (limited) use.

Edit: ordered a Huawai M5, case and 128gb memory card for £280 which will be ideal for my regular travels to and from work. I'll maybe get a pro ipad another time should my 8 year old mac air ever stop working but I just couldn't justify £500+ for a device for consuming media, surfing the net and running my drone software.

Last edited:
Apple keep pushing that cost up. Not quite the tipping point for me but getting close.

I ordered an iPad mini 5 but sent it back in exchange for an iPad Air 3. Very happy with my choice now. I am very impressed with it. The size for me is perfect. The screen sublime. And the processor makes it the fastest tablet I have ever had (never owned a Pro). The battery is excellent and lasts at least 10 hours with good usage throughout the day. So to me this is a worthwhile upgrade and value for my money.

Will last me a good number of years.

I went to John Lewis today to look at the new ipads as my air 2 is becoming a little slow.
Really not sure which to go for, the 10.5'' just feels so much bigger than what I am used to. I travel regularly and it may be a bit too big for my needs.
The ipad mini does seem really nice but it feels like a step backwards. Also the bezels are around the screen are still quite big. I am wondering if maybe I should hold out until next year and see what they release then. I don't want to buy a mini and then regret it.

In all honesty I cannot recommend the mini, the Air 3 is a different kettle of fish altogether. I cannot imagine using anything else. And believe me the speed and screen is something to behold. Recommend unconditionally.

I’ve just bought a refurbished iPad Air from Apple in the belief that it’s basically a new machine and has the full guarantee

I agree about the iPad Air 3, coming from a Samsung Galaxy tab a6 10.1 and moving to the Air 3 is a mahooooosive improvement, it’s an amazing piece of kit, lightning fast and the screen is sublime, I honestly and truly did not think it would be as good as it is, the best purchase I have made in many a year 😉

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom