Question 2019 Macbook Pro Internet Recovery Issue

T3C

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm really hopeful that there's a couple of Mac/Apple/OSX super gurus lurking about to help me please.

My friend finally set up his 2019 Macbook Pro that he bought 6 month ago and he was unaware of the ability to transfer all his programs, data and setting from his old (2012) Macbook using Migration Assistant or from using the option available when reinstalling the OS. He thought great news and asked me to go ahead and do it for him.

So, I went and booted from the Recovery Partition and went through the options to select migrate from Time Machine backup and left the Macbook to do it's thing. After a few hours I came back and noticed it had crashed or failed to complete. Upon restarting the Macbook was neither loading his old profile or in fact loading his original installed OS he had played with. I thought no problem just load Recovery and wipe the disk from Disk Utility and start again from scratch. An important note that might have some bearing is that I remember being asked for a password when wiping the partition but the local account password didn't work and the supplied Apple account password didn't work either. So I used Disk Utility and wiped the complete drive with no issues thinking that using Internet Recovery would allow me to start completely from scratch. A big fat NOPE on that idea.

I current have now a 2019 Macbook Pro that boots to Apple Symbol then quickly moves to the spinning globe asking for a wifi network. Upon connecting it just sits there and within about 5 mins the fans rev up to max and the poor little thing is running really really hot to the touch. Being very scared of heat damage I quickly turn it off using the long press on the power button. I've tried booting from a local dvd drive to use a dvd OSX disk which shows up when starting with the Option key press in. But when you tell the laptop to boot from that drive it starts to read the drive for a few seconds then returns to the spinning globe and looks for a network.

Is there anything I can do to go back to transferring or migrating his profile or back to getting a fresh install of OSX?

HELP!!!

If it’s a 2019 MacBook there’s no way it’s booting a disc of some old OSX version.

Do you have a working Mac? You need to create a bootable USB key with the the latest MacOS Catalina on it.

DiskmakerX is a great tool for doing this.

If it’s a 2019 MacBook there’s no way it’s booting a disc of some old OSX version.

Do you have a working Mac? You need to create a bootable USB key with the the latest MacOS Catalina on it.

DiskmakerX is a great tool for doing this.

Thanks @MacrosTheBlack and I don't have access to another easily but might be able to arrange something though.

Do you think the issue revolves around just getting a USB installer? I'm still concerned by the overheating and the lack of being able to get Internet Recovery to work. Any thoughts on that please?

Thanks @MacrosTheBlack and I don't have access to another easily but might be able to arrange something though.

Do you think the issue revolves around just getting a USB installer? I'm still concerned by the overheating and the lack of being able to get Internet Recovery to work. Any thoughts on that please?
As MaryWhitehouse suggests, give Apple a call. It’s basically brand new still.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom