Question 27" 4K Monitor Or Not?

chilliman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this post is in correct area, if not perhaps a mod could move it please.

I'm looking to get a new monitor around 27" and wife wants a TV for the spare room where computer is also. I suggested a new monitor so she can watch TV via the internet (we have 100mb download speed) while she carries out her sewing hobby in the spare room, there is no tv aerial connection in the room.

Do I go for a 4k monitor for the sake of future proofing and watching tv on the 'net, (computer hardware will handle 4k) or
not? I'm not really a gamer and realise not many UK tv channels use 4k ...I think. I don't have Sky or Cable TV except broadband though I do have Freeview and a Netflix account.

Opinions on getting 4k or not would be much appreciated.

Regards
Chilliman

27 inch monitors so not require to be 4k in anyway shape or form. You won't be able to read the text on native.
Get a 1440 and that will be good

IMHO 27" is a tad small for seeing any improvement with 4K, however much the Manufacturers might want us believe.
Have you considered using a 27" ( or larger ) TV as monitor ? If your PC outputs to HDMI that should be good quality. Also, in the event the internet ? PC goes down, you can use the Aerial signal for TV-viewing.
I suspect, but cannot know, you will have a conflict with screen-placement - The "Monitor" needs to be near the keyboard/mouse for normal use, whereas a TV in the Bedroom will be fixed so it can be seen when sitting-up in the bed ( probably), Having both requirement from one screen ( with wiring) is unlikely to be that easy, although the computer+Internet might be acceptable many new TV's should work off the internet without an external PC - You might check this prior to purchase.

FWIW, my PC Monitor is a 42" TV ( downstairs) and all I have to do is swivel it between "Comfort" and the need of "Workstation".

Hope that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom