300 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I have the Blu Ray but haven't watched this film in a very long time. I recently watched its successor in 3D (almost Resident Evil levels of 3D, pretty much Resident Evil levels of story telling). So I was interested when I saw this 4k had been released and now your review :)

I remember enjoying it when I last watched it and being impressed by the visuals. Film audio wasn't on my radar back then so I can't comment on that. It is interesting that you mention "LFE-heavy score of Tyler Bates (doing his best impression of go-to-copycat James Horner by himself ripping off the score from Anthony Hopkins' Titus)." because I've noticed many films flagrantly ripping off Hans Zimmer 'Man of Steel' score to the point where I think he should be claiming royalties.

I'm definitely tempted to get this but will probably wait for the price to come down.

I have been holding off getting this on Blu Ray for years, no excuse anymore! Nice review Cas.

Having just seen Jason and the Argonauts with my kid (who was not amused that the film ended as it did and with no sequel made) again I thought of 300 and went to buy it in a double pack with the sequel (which I've not seen, I have 300 on DVD). Then I saw from the comments of your review for the sequel that it was available in 3D so I went for that instead and so no double pack (grrr poor old 3d)...

Seems to be a shortage of good Greek Mythology films ;-( Yes we did see Clash of the Titans (1981) next together... and no 300 isn't for the kid ;-)

So your review is timely, as it's reminded me how fun the film was. Rather than getting the original on bluray I'll get the 4k though (when it's down from full price) and even though I don't get the full HDR experience on a PJ.

Oh, and fun fact. The Mrs has vowed never to see 300 again because when I went to buy a second had 720p projector we also had a demo of a new 1080p and to see the difference we saw the first 5 or so minutes of 300 on 3 projectors on dvd and bluray many many times. She ended up refusing to allow me to get the cheap 720p and insisted on the 1080p. Given the visual style of the film I'm still not sure how she saw the difference!

Having just seen Jason and the Argonauts with my kid (who was not amused that the film ended as it did and with no sequel made) again I thought of 300 and went to buy it in a double pack with the sequel (which I've not seen, I have 300 on DVD). Then I saw from the comments of your review for the sequel that it was available in 3D so I went for that instead and so no double pack (grrr poor old 3d)...
300 is not a children's film. 300 Rise is 100% definitely not for children. Besides the sequence that is almost as bad as the one in the Matrix Reloaded, there's the ultra violence. In 3D you are right in there with blood splattering on your 3D goggles :)

300 is not a children's film. 300 Rise is 100% definitely not for children. Besides the sequence that is almost as bad as the one in the Matrix Reloaded, there's the ultra violence. In 3D you are right in there with blood splattering on your 3D goggles :)

I completely agree with you. I did say 300 wasn't for the kid somewhere in my post ;-) although fair cop the rambling writing style of my posts does remind me why it takes real skill to write a decent review of a film as well presented, coherent writing isn't to be sniffed at.

I do take my own view of what is acceptable to my child rather than the ratings which most often means watching a film first before she gets to see it. I have zero issue with anything which she sees or hears in her normal life which means I'm more European in my ratings than US.

great review,steelbook arrived Friday watched Saturday,love this movie and the atmos track is awesome.

Still have this on HD-DVD :)

Thanks for the review...might rent the 4k disc rather than purchase, although it is a guilty pleasure of a film

good review Cas, fully accept it for what it is and love it all the more for that reason.

Thanks Cas, it's always been a visually stunning film so it's good to know the new disc is an upgrade, ordering today :thumbsup:

I do take my own view of what is acceptable to my child rather than the ratings which most often means watching a film first before she gets to see it. I have zero issue with anything which she sees or hears in her normal life which means I'm more European in my ratings than US.
I get that. I take a different view in that what happens today in "normal life" is constantly shifting and getting worse so my yardstick is more US then European :)

Funnily enough I only watched my blu-ray about 3 weeks ago as my 15 year son had not seen it. He loved this, Troy (another fav of min despite being panned in places) the week before, not so much!

I thought that it still looked and sounded superb, so can only imagine how good this will be.

Still love the film as well.

I Have loved 300 since I saw it at the cinema, I’ve got the BD with the dual lossless tracks on it... wasn‘t gonna go for the 4K but Cas’ review has convinced me, if only for when I finally get those ceiling speakers and can engage atmos

Cas, your review makes the Atmos track sound awesome, but it is not so clear as to whether the height speakers are used effectively. Is it like A Quite Place with its environmentally active sound track with perfectly timed discrete effects? Or is it basically just the rain and soundtrack bleeding into the height channels? This still sounds good and adds atmosphere but a track like A Quiet Place, or any Transformers movie is next level immersion.

Cas, your review makes the Atmos track sound awesome, but it is not so clear as to whether the height speakers are used effectively. Is it like A Quite Place with its environmentally active sound track with perfectly timed discrete effects? Or is it basically just the rain and soundtrack bleeding into the height channels? This still sounds good and adds atmosphere but a track like A Quiet Place, or any Transformers movie is next level immersion.

Mate, there's very little that sounds like Quiet Place, the sound design there is perfection.

This is another level for 300, but no, not the discrete showcase of QP or Bayformers.

It still has its highlights - the overhead arrows are good - and impresses considerably by besting the already demo lossless track from before, but you're going to be disappointed with most anything in comparison to QP.

Mate, there's very little that sounds like Quiet Place, the sound design there is perfection.

This is another level for 300, but no, not the discrete showcase of QP or Bayformers.

It still has its highlights - the overhead arrows are good - and impresses considerably by besting the already demo lossless track from before, but you're going to be disappointed with most anything in comparison to QP.
I was just using them as a comparison. As I said, it can still sound good even if it doesn't reach that level. I was just curious as to how good :) If it was as good as AQP or Transformers, then it might have been an instant buy rather than an eventual pick up.

I was just using them as a comparison. As I said, it can still sound good even if it doesn't reach that level. I was just curious as to how good :) If it was as good as AQP or Transformers, then it might have been an instant buy rather than an eventual pick up.

I can't imagine it being long before this is in a 2 for, so that seems like the best bet all-round as you'll only be pleasantly surprised for a 'bargain' price. Nothing is ever as impressive at full price lol.

THIS. IS. 4K :D

Anybody who loves this film and has not seen the Spartacus tv series should check it out. It's excellent and can be picked up cheap on bluray.

Yeah I saw those on Sky years ago. Very violent and very rude iirc, swinging dicks and boobs everywhere! :)

Thanks Cas. Have the original Blu Ray, & love this so much I bought the iTunes version as well. Watching for the upgrade as this in 4K will be fantastic!
Can understand that the Atmos will be less important, but arrows from overhead? Count me in! (I have a good sized serving dish to protect my head)

Another HD DVD I can get rid of.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom