49/50 inch tv for £500. Recommendations please?

irvin38a

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m after some help for a friend who is looking for a new tv around the £400-£500 mark. Ideally in John Lewis or Currys as can get 20% off in there through work.
Can anyone here point us in the right direction?

I have a 55” xf90 but that’s out of his price range.

The first choice to make when buying is: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

Some info about his viewing conditions, viewing distance and sources would also be welcome. If he is currently using a good TV and doesn't have good sources to backup a new model, it may be better for him to stick with what he has.

The first choice to make when buying is: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

Some info about his viewing conditions, viewing distance and sources would also be welcome. If he is currently using a good TV and doesn't have good sources to backup a new model, it may be better for him to stick with what he has.

Sorry, he’s thinking about wall mounting and watching from head on and side on. About 3-4 metres away.

would be watching hd football and 4K Netflix. Has BT TV and a firestick.
Currently has an old generic branded 40” lcd so definitely due an upgrade! 😂

Watching side on he'll need a TV with an IPS type panel, which won't perform as well in the dark as other TVs. I'd make sure that side viewing is more important to him than better picture quality, especially in the dark, from the front.

Best value around his price range will be LG 49" models such as the UM7600 if needing good viewing angles.

If he wants better PQ from the front, but poor viewing angles, Hisense models like the B7500 or U7B would be good options, especially for Netflix with their Dolby Vision HDR support.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom