49" Sony/LG TV's with IPS panels?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Dodgexander I quote from another thread where my query regarding your statement seems to have got buried in other aspects of that thread

Best viewing angles will be 49" Sony models compared to LG, so if you want the very best viewing angles you need to go with Sony.

My query was why is this? I ask because I have decided that unfortunately a VA panel TV even the Sony 49XH9505 would from reports not satisfy my +/_30deg viewing angle requirement. Having to consequentially buy an LG IPS panel TV fills me with dread! Do Sony use an IPS panel from another source?

@ Dodgexander I quote from another thread where my query regarding your statement seems to have got buried in other aspects of that thread

My query was why is this? I ask because I have decided that unfortunately a VA panel TV even the Sony 49XH9505 would from reports not satisfy my +/_30deg viewing angle requirement. Having to consequentially buy an LG IPS panel TV fills me with dread! Do Sony use an IPS panel from another source?
I'm referring to the Sony TVs in his budget which exclusively use IPS type panels, once you reach Sony models using VA, the advice doesn't stand.

The viewing angles of the BOE panels Sony use are wider than the ones made by LG directly. You can view the differences in reviews of the TVs at rtings.com.

Hi Dodgexander thanks for the clarification. Are these the so called PLS panels again supposedly made by Samsung? If so I see that claims are made for this type of panel in respect of better contrast ratios although not in VA territory. As have said before my 12 year old IPS Alpha Panasonic still delivers remarkable contrast, black levels. (OK not VA!), and stunning colours. Is perhaps PLS the descendent of the the IPS Alpha technology (Based on an Hitachi development!) on my current TV?

Unfortunately do not seem to be able to find the relevant rtings. com reviews?

PLS is just a Samsung variant of IPS. They claim it performs better but tests say otherwise, its more or less the same as other IPS tech.

Here's a comparison of an LG TV using a IPS panel and a Sony TV using an IPS panel:

As you can see there are differences in viewing angles. But what a panel gains in viewing angles it may lose elsewhere, in this case, reflections. Every panel has its plus and minusses.

The X800H model in the US is XH81/XG80 here.

Great but what guarantee do I have that the XH8196 ptoduced in Europe in Slovakia has the same BOE IPS panel as the North American Mexican produced X800H tested by Rtings.com? The stand is different (and uglier) in the EU model. So what else?

Great but what guarantee do I have that the XH8196 ptoduced in Europe in Slovakia has the same BOE IPS panel as the North American Mexican produced X800H tested by Rtings.com? The stand is different (and uglier) in the EU model. So what else?
We know already the panels used are the same, you can even notice the better viewing angles in a showroom of all places when the TVs are side by side. Sony aren't quite like Philips/Samsung/TCL/Hisense and have completely different ventures in the Americas, although there are some small differences in model numbering schemes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom