Answered 4K Amp?

Ah this is such a headache, just adds more things to it that I need to consider.

Unless I sell my current TV and Surround Sound (including speakers), I haven't even had the TV 5 months (Hisense H50A6250UK) so I imagine I will get a good return on that if I decide to sell.

Then just buy the OLED TV and a new Surround System that has everything that's needed (Receiver, Speakers and Sub), as I'm worried I could do all this and then it not be working correctly.

The manual or brochure doesn't state the HDCP figure.

Yeah that's my one. I didn't think it could pass 4K through from checking before but that would be good if it can.

I believe the AV receiver included is the Pioneer VSX-324 which I also believe predates HDMI version 2.0 and will therefore only include HDMI version 1.4 and be HDCP 1.4 compliant. It is stated by Pioneer that this receiver can passthrough 4K UHD, but like many late HDMI 1.4 receivers that also include this ability it is limited to 4K video with a frame rate less than 30Hz and isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. Almost all commercial UHD video will be protected by HDCP 2.2. Games aren't and do not use HDCP protection, but will require frame rates higher than 30Hz.

I believe the AV receiver included is the Pioneer VSX-324 which I also believe predates HDMI version 2.0 and will therefore only include HDMI version 1.4 and be HDCP 1.4 compliant. It is stated by Pioneer that this receiver can passthrough 4K UHD, but like many late HDMI 1.4 receivers that also include this ability it is limited to 4K video with a frame rate less than 30Hz and isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. Almost all commercial UHD video will be protected by HDCP 2.2. Games aren't and do not use HDCP protection, but will require frame rates higher than 30Hz.
Back to optical in or ARC for audio then if the OP wants to keep the receiver, which is his best financial option until funds allow for a substantial upgrade to both amp and speakers.

My receiver is 100% the HTP-072, so I will definitely need a new receiver if I get an OLED won't I.

My dilemma now is whether I sell my current setup and purchase all new 4K, or have the hassel of replacing the AV Receiver and then having to sort out a sub as well. By that point, may as well just get a new 5.1 system with receiver.

My receiver is 100% the HTP-072, so I will definitely need a new receiver if I get an OLED won't I.

My dilemma now is whether I sell my current setup and purchase all new 4K, or have the hassel of replacing the AV Receiver and then having to sort out a sub as well. By that point, may as well just get a new 5.1 system with receiver.

That is the package inclusive of the speakers. The actual AV receiver that came with that package was the Pioneer VSX-324.

I'd suggest you make do with your current receiver and speakers until you've saved enough to replace them. You ordinarilly get a discount is purchasing a speaker package along with an AV receiver as a bundle. I would suggest you try aim for a receiver slightly better than you were intending in the future though.

Rome wasn't built in a day :)

You can get SD 5.1 to the amp by using optical from the TV or from the source device to the amp directly. Then connect all your sources to the TV via HDMI for video. Your all in one remote can be configured to switch everything to the correct input whichever connection method you use.

For HD audio use a UHD player with twin HDMI outs, one goes to the TV for up to 4k HDR video, and one to the amp for SD and HD audio.

That is the package inclusive of the speakers. The actual AV receiver that came with that package was the Pioneer VSX-324.

I'd suggest you make do with your current receiver and speakers until you've saved enough to replace them. You ordinarilly get a discount is purchasing a speaker package along with an AV receiver as a bundle. I would suggest you try aim for a receiver slightly better than you were intending in the future though.

Rome wasn't built in a day :)

Oh I see what you mean, the link he posted was actually the VSX receiver which has the 4K option.

It has all of a sudden got quite expensive, when you think "oh the TV price has come down", it is everything that goes with it and before you know it you are in the thousands!

I will definitely look into it a bit more, thanks for your help.

Oh I see what you mean, the link he posted was actually the VSX receiver which has the 4K option.

It has all of a sudden got quite expensive, when you think "oh the TV price has come down", it is everything that goes with it and before you know it you are in the thousands!

I will definitely look into it a bit more, thanks for your help.

Yeah. I dn't think it helped that you'd bought your receiver with the Pioneer speakers. In fact it would have been easier on your pocket now had you bought a slightly better AV receiver to begin with and a seperate 5.1 speaker package that included an active sub. You would only have needed to replace the AV receiver if that had been the case.

AV enthisiasts do have setups that can run into thousands, but seldom replace their speakers, their sub and the AV receiver all at the same time.

Most updates are relative to one element of the setup as opposed to the entire setup.

Plug your Sources via HDMI to the TV then an Optical cable between the TV and the AV Amp and save your £200 - not having access to the HD Audio formats some of your Sources are capable of is not a big issue and no £200 AVR delivers 'HD' audio (no matter what it says on the box).

Your All in one remote ought to be able to be reconfigured to make the TV the 'Hub' of the system.

Joe

Yeah that definitely is an option, I am just not fully sure what I will be missing out on in terms of Audio quality if I don't have a proper 4K receiver.

I know that 4K is as much as part of the image quality as it is sound, so I wouldn't want it to be pointless with me only having half the job whilst paying full price for a TV.

'I wouldn't want it to be pointless with me only having half the job' - you won't, unless you are able to invest in a decent AVR and Speaker system which work with your room and room layout you will be fine with your current system.

Joe

But if I understand correctly, my current setup wouldn't be able to produce the 4K quality sound that comes with the content I'dbe viewing on offer would it?

4K UHD refers to the video image.

Your 4K content can be accompanied by anything from a two channel stereo mix up to full immersive HD (uncompressed) audio with multiple overhead channels.

You do not gain the benefits of uncompressed HD audio with a £200 AVR and budget speaker system - do a quick search on the Forums and you will see plenty of folk with relatively expensive kit not being blown away by HD audio.

Immersive (Atmos) can work very well though requires overhead speakers or up-firing speakers and again a decent budget.

The more channels you try and squeeze out of your budget the poorer the overall quality of the playback tends to be - personally I do most of my listening on a 2.0 or 2.1 system.

Joe

But if I understand correctly, my current setup wouldn't be able to produce the 4K quality sound that comes with the content I'dbe viewing on offer would it?
Because of the HDCP 2.2 that is associated with 4K discs you would not be able to play them through your current amp which is believed to be HDMI 1.4 and therefore not support HDCP 2.2. The answer is then that by having to use ARC or optical for audio you will be confined to SD audio.

Your problem is that you will not only need a full fat 4K receiver and possibly new speakers as well. You should expect to spend around the £1000 for a full 5.1.2 set up which will basically be an entry level receiver and speaker package.

You could re-use your current speakers and just buy a powered sub and slowly upgrade.

Would I need 5.1.2 then?

I thought that as long as I have a 4K receiver, with a sub and say 5 speakers that would provide me with the Surround Sound I am after, utilising the 4K sound on offer with the content?

In short I'd be better off sticking with the TV speakers than purchasing say a £400 4K Surround system (Receiver, Speakers and Sub)?

Would I need 5.1.2 then?

I thought that as long as I have a 4K receiver, with a sub and say 5 speakers that would provide me with the Surround Sound I am after, utilising the 4K sound on offer with the content?

In short I'd be better off sticking with the TV speakers than purchasing say a £400 4K Surround system (Receiver, Speakers and Sub)?

You don't "need" 5.1.2 or Atmos per say, but you'd be missing out on 3D imersive audio without it.

You can get a 7 channel Atmos enabled AV receiver for just under £300 and it doesn't take that much to turn a 5.1 speaker setup into a 5.1.2 setup.

Denon AVR-X1400H AV Receiver

There's no such thing as 4K audio and the audio formats associated with UHD discs are the same formats you get with the HD blu-ray discs.

TV speakers are not very good due to the way in which they have to be incorporated into the TV's chassis. You'd still be advised to look at external speakers and amplification even if going with a stereo 2 channel option. A stereo or 2.1 setup could potentially be cheaper than a surround setup though, but you'd still be compromised by your proposed budget even if buying a stereo setup.

Last edited:
‘In short’ stick with your current audio system, use the TV as the video and audio Hub, connect the TV to you audio system using an Optical cable, enjoy your system and keep saving (as your current budget is too low to make a meaningful upgrade over what you have now).

Hard to say for sure where you can consider upgrading the current sound system without details of your room and Room Layout.

Joe

I think for now I will look to do just that, I'll get the OLED TV, connect the devices to the HDMI ports direct and then get the Amp connected to my TV so I have the option to play through both the TV sound and then turn the AV Receiver on and still utilise the surround sound when I want to.

So I just need to get an optical cable to do so?

Once I have a bit saved I can then look at getting a 4K Receiver Sound System with Sub and move everything across to that.

'So I just need to get an optical cable to do so?' - that will be all you require, and a bit of messing about with settings no doubt :)

Joe

I'm guessing a quick google / youtube can get me through the setup.

Thanks for your help.

Going slightly off-topic. I currently have 5.1 set up using Pioneer VSX-531 (4k pass through) and am considering upgrade to Dolby Atmos. I would be keeping existing 2 front speakers, centre and 2 rears and active sub. I have 65" LG B8 OLED and mostly watch via Sky Q, Apple TV and 4K UHD player. Looking to add 2 ceiling-mounted Atmos speakers and replace existing AVR with either the above Denon, Pioneer VSX-933 or the cheaper Sony STRDH790. My main question is would I benefit from a reasonable improvement, I am looking for a more immersive listening experience. I love listening in 5.1 surround sound but just feel I could benefit from upgrading to Atmos and hopefully spending no more than £600. In hindsight (and maybe the OP should take note) I wish I had gone for an Atmos AVR when I replaced my old (broken) AVR just over 18 months ago, instead of a 5.1 model. Also, any suggestions for the Atmos ceiling speakers?

Do yourself a favor just get the Yammy it will give you lots of very nice features your old amp doesn't have, it will be new a last down the road (your old amp is old and could start having problems). The Yamaha's are the best deals these days for sound and features unlike the past where yammy's lack in pure amps.

No offense but if you listen to Joe, who is providing you with some good advice, you would also have to spend more on decent speakers too, as speakers are still the most important piece in your system. You say the audio isn't the most important to you so yes a new 5.1, .2 not required, would be just fine for your needs and a new featured receiver would still be great advantage for comfortable hassle free listening.

A little common sense goes a long way and high-end audiophiles, which I belong too, can lose track of that when dealing with those that don't require the best. I'm a bang for the buck type as a rule but enjoy the extremely expensive high-end gear.

The RX-V485 5.1-Channel AV Receiver with MusicCast would be better than the HTR series as you would get the advantages of streaming (XM, Pandora, Multicast, ....), bluetooth, enhanced compressed music playback, and so on... You may find those useful if you want to connect with your phone or tablet to play music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom