4K Blu-Ray player to older receiver

Jane Eleven

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm currently using a simple 2.1 stereo setup connected to my Pioneer VSX-422 (2012 AV-receiver, see picture). Due to the fact it is quite old (but still working good enough for me) it does not support 4K output, however it does support DTS HD Master audio and quite a few Dolby formats. Soon I will be replacing my current 2.1 setup with my very first 5.1 setup, which I'm really looking forward to. I am going to use the Sony XBP-700 blu-ray player to have optimal video quality on my 2016 Samsung 4K TV (SAMSUNG UE40MU6100). My question is, how do I properly connect these three components? The Sony blu-ray player has dual HDMI output, so can I just plug the video/audio HDMI straight into my TV and the audio only HDMI to the BD input of my receiver? If yes, will I then keep the full image quality as well as the full audio quality provided from the (4K) blu-rays? And besides that, how do I then connect my receiver to the TV (watching tv shows etc.)? Just the HDMI out of my receiver in another HDMI port of my TV?

I'm sorry for the long story but I really hope someone can help me out haha, I'm still relatively new to the home-cinema scene. Much appreciated!

Greetings from The Netherlands :)

Attachments

• vsx.jpeg
    vsx.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 132
Your connection route sounds good to me.

You'll then have to make sure your audio menu options are right on the player and tv.

If you're referring to connections to the new receiver, connect it's HDMI ARC (audio return channel) HDMI port to the TV's HDMI ARC port.

Connect the BR players main AV HDMI port to the receiver's BR input HDMI.

All assuming that your new receiver is 4K capable of course!

Scrub that - I just re-read your post and looks like you're keeping the old receiver. Your wiring plan looks OK.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I appreciate it. I'll keep you updated if I have everything installed :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom