Question 4k bluray player recommendations.

chenks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for a 4k blu-ray player that supports as many HDR formats as possible, but not at a crazy price.
will be connecting to an LG CX tv, so that has HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision (but no HDR10+).

one question, if i was to play content that was HDR10+ on player that supported HDR10+ but the TV only supported HDR10, would it still play at HDR10 just fine? what would i be missing in terms of quality? i believe there is an extra layer of metadata o 10+ that isn't there on 10. or even if an HDR10+ disc was played on a player that only supported HDR10.

what prompted all this is Back To The Future is being released in October and it's HDR10+

HDR10+ titles will be viewed at HDR10 so there will be no problems with that. As for players themselves then the vast majority will cover all your needs it just depends on how much money you want to throw at them. HDR10+ is 12 bit whilst DHR10 is 10 bit. The extra 2 bits gets discarded, the difference is minimal in reality.

Your choice of player can run from a Panasonic at £149 through to a Pioneer at £2199. Note that both the Pioneers at this moment do not have HDR10+ capability.

well the TV supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision, so i guess i'd like to cover those at a minimum.
i've found that when looking at the specs of players on sites they tend to be a bit vague on what they support.

HDR10+ titles will be viewed at HDR10 so there will be no problems with that. As for players themselves then the vast majority will cover all your needs it just depends on how much money you want to throw at them. HDR10+ is 12 bit whilst DHR10 is 10 bit. The extra 2 bits gets discarded, the difference is minimal in reality.

I believe HDR10+ is still 10 bit & Dolby Vision FEL (Full Enhancement Layer) is 12 bit & Dolby Vision MEL (Minimum Enhancement Layer) is 10 bit which sadly is used most of the time on 4K discs.

I believe HDR10+ is still 10 bit & Dolby Vision FEL (Full Enhancement Layer) is 12 bit & Dolby Vision MEL (Minimum Enhancement Layer) is 10 bit which sadly is used most of the time on 4K discs.
Yes, I stand corrected. HDR10+ is metadata based.

looks like the PANASONIC DP-UB450EB may be the one that covers all angles.

FWIW I've just purchased a UB450 for £149 and a LG UBK90 for a little more. I expect to be returning the Panasonic spinner, which behaves and feels like a supermarket-special in my opinion.

care to elaborate on that?

See my review of the UB450. To me, it’s obvious that a 3rd party has made the player, it doesn’t have the Panasonic’feel’ about it. That doesn’t make it bad, after all you don’t spend your time looking at the player, you spend your time on what it can do for you. The LG has, by all accounts, a poor track record if reliability, and CEC can’t be disabled, which will be a PITA if you route audio to a piece of a/v kit, rather than a TV.

third parties pretty much make everything.
i tend to disable CEC on all my devices, as i use a harmony remote to control everything.

the LG doesn't support HDR10+ from what i see.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom