4K Discs Region Coding - All region free?

The1970

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I may of read this somewhere incorrectly, but is it true that ALL 4K Blu-Ray discs produced worldwide are not region coded ?

I've seen a lot of things for sale that might include a 4K disc, a standard Blu-Ray disc and a DVD, meaning you have a completely region free 4K disc, a 50/50 chance of a standard Blu-Ray being region locked, and a 99.9% probability the DVD is region locked ?

Messy

I may of read this somewhere incorrectly, but is it true that ALL 4K Blu-Ray discs produced worldwide are not region coded ?

I've seen a lot of things for sale that might include a 4K disc, a standard Blu-Ray disc and a DVD, meaning you have a completely region free 4K disc, a 50/50 chance of a standard Blu-Ray being region locked, and a 99.9% probability the DVD is region locked ?

Messy
Thats correct, all 4k discs are region free.

But not all accompanying blu-ray discs are region free.

Apparently the 4k Death Wish disc is locked to Region B. (nordic version)

That's the only one I've heard of being locked.

Last edited:
Back in the days when DVD was born, region coding had an argument for it.

Since Blu-Ray has been released though, its nonsensical. A physical legit purchase of a film is a legit purchase, no matter what part of the globe you are from. It should be able to play anywhere.

Piracy has no such barriers.

Reading that 4K are region free seems a great move, but then the news of the DeathWish disc being region locked to break that standard boils my pi**

Apparently the 4k Death Wish disc is locked to Region B. (nordic version)

That's the only one I've heard of being locked.
I’m sure that is probably B.S or user error.
How can a studio region lock a disc when the UHD spec doesn’t have ANY regions?

I’m sure that is probably B.S or user error.
How can a studio region lock a disc when the UHD spec doesn’t have ANY regions?
I've no idea and haven't bought the disc myself as got the digital version cheap.

All I know is there's several people in another forum saying the Scandinavian 4k disc is locked and it didn't work stateside, whether it's down to a manufacturing problem or user error again I don't know.

I've no idea and haven't bought the disc myself as got the digital version cheap.

All I know is there's several people in another forum saying the Scandinavian 4k disc is locked and it didn't work stateside, whether it's down to a manufacturing problem or user error again I don't know.
It’s simply not possible to be region locked. The UHD spec does not have any regions, so what region is the disc being locked to when no ‘regions’ exists?

If a UHD disc is ‘locked’ how can a UK player play it, as the UK player does not contain any imaginary UHD regions, just like its US counterpart.

Either manufacturing problem, user error or disc is 50hz PAL. Definitely not due to region, for the reasons given above :)

If Death Wish is the new one, it is region free :)

Death Wish 4K Blu-ray
There are people in the US who have bought the Scandinavian 4k disc and it doesn't work in their 4k players.

I've no idea why, all I know is people have been complaining about it.

It’s simply not possible to be region locked. The UHD spec does not have any regions, so what region is the disc being locked to when no ‘regions’ exists?

If a UHD disc is ‘locked’ how can a UK player play it, as the UK player does not contain any imaginary UHD regions, just like its US counterpart.

Either manufacturing problem, user error or disc is 50hz PAL. Definitely not due to region, for the reasons given above :)
I agree but people are saying it doesn't work in the US on US 4k players.

Have you got a link to these posts?

I’d be interested in seeing what the ‘UHD region lock error’ screen looks like, as surely these people must have also posted screenshots/video where the player says this UHD disc cannot be played due to...just like on Blu-ray discs.

As with lots of stuff we read on the internet (anti-vaxxers/flat-earthers :mad::facepalm:), I’d like to see some evidence over hearsay :)

Last edited:
As with lots of stuff we read on the internet (anti-vaxxers/flat-earthers :mad::facepalm:), I’d like to see some evidence over hearsay :)

I'd agree usually, but I doubt anyone would make this up on since a niche title as this.

I wonder if this is an age-old 50/60htz thing, and that the film is 50htz encoded. The US players still can't play that back right??

I'd agree usually, but I doubt anyone would make this up on since a niche title as this.

I wonder if this is an age-old 50/60htz thing, and that the film is 50htz encoded. The US players still can't play that back right??
^ Post #8 :)

Actually if someone was trolling, it makes perfect sense to pick a niche foreign disc, as hardly anyone would own it, & even less people would be able to definitively disprove it as they don’t have the disc to test.

If someone posted that Endgame 4K was region locked, this would be disproved in under 10 seconds.
Nordic copy of Death Wish not so much, & then false info gets reposted on multiple forums, & spreads without anyone actually verifying with actual evidence.

As YNWA1892 hasn’t been able to post any links to evidence, I’m guessing he probably read it on another forum which said they had read about it on Facebook, which someone saw on a reddit post, where another person confirmed their friend in Sweden sent them a copy to the US :D

Last edited:

I have seen some posts on US sites of people buying it,and making comment about its P/Q over the blu ray.
:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom