Question 4K from sky q on hdmi loop

jlbweb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I have a 4x4 over cat5e matrix which has hdmI loop out on each output. It is 6 years old and only supports 1080p output.
I use one of the hdmi outputs to a 4K tv which is above the matrix.

I have recently upgraded to sky q and wondered if there is a way of getting a 4K signal to the tv? Can I split it before the matrix for instance? If it helps at all the sky is the only source going into the matrix... am effectively using it as a 1x4.

Thanks

jon

No unfortunately you cannot just split a signal as it will be either 4k or 1080p outputting from the HDMI. You can get a (down) scaler that will take the input from from sky q at 4k and provide both a 4k and 1080p. They tend to be more expensive than a straight splitter and the cheaper ones might have issues with sky q.

Alternatively you might get a sky mini and use that to output to the matrix. At one point you needed to gave multi room to get 4K anyway

Alternatively you might get a sky mini and use that to output to the matrix. At one point you needed to gave multi room to get 4K anyway
Sky still insist on you having at least one mini box and will charge you £14 a month for the unit. It will only output 1080.

I have multi room - however am using this to push sky to a cinema room that getting Cat cable to would be challenging (the joys of living in a barn!). I could get another multi room box but I don't like the "its only hired" mentality of sky... I will take a look at the downscales thanks. Its not the end of the world but would have been nice!

Sky still insist on you having at least one mini box and will charge you £14 a month for the unit. It will only output 1080.

Yes but 1080p is what the op wants. I appreciate the additional multi room costs but it is the same amount per month whether the op has one box or three /four. Currently they should be available for 50 each and given the op has already got it, this would be cheaper than buying a decent scaler.

I have multi room - however am using this to push sky to a cinema room that getting Cat cable to would be challenging (the joys of living in a barn!). I could get another multi room box but I don't like the "its only hired" mentality of sky... I will take a look at the downscales thanks. Its not the end of the world but would have been nice!

Yep, then it will cheaper to "rent" a new mini at a cost of 50 for self install. Also allows you to watch a separate channel via your matrix to the main box.

If the signal is 4K, HDCP 2.2, SDR you can use an HDFury Integral or Integral² to provide you with a 4K, HDCP2.2, SDR plus HD, HDCP1.4, SDR 'mirror' of the signal - you will need to set the Source audio to something both Display devices support.

Joe

Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one for the sake of it. Had a sky q main box running through my hdfury vertex without issues for a couple of years. Using the hdfury as a splitter to send to tv and projector. As of today, I seem to have a hdcp issue as tried different leads and reconfiguring setup but as soon as I put the hdfury into the mix, I get the snow storm on both devices. Tried my other fury too from another room with same issue. It’s like sky have realised what I’ve done and locked it down. Only way to get picture output is hdmi lead directly from sky to tv or projector, or if I run it in the bottom position (1.4) it outputs picture with a purple hue across whole screen. Has anyone else had this and is there a workaround?

cheers

No mass reporting of issues with any of the HDFury products today so suspect it is an isolated issue.

Have you tried updating/reinstalling the Vertex firmware?

Power supplies are also a ‘fail point’ might be worth trying a replacement.

Joe

PS I doubt SKY are on your case :)

Thanks for the super speedy response, I will keep investigating. It’s on the latest firmware but might do a full reset. I will report back

Apologies, scrap this. Forgot I had installed an extra splitter between the hdfury and the output devices to split to a matrix to output in a different room. Turns out the other splitter or one of the cables to / from that is to blame. At least it’s now a cheap fix

Just reporting back. Swapped 3 of the HDMI cables that could have caused issues and also the HDMI splitter (now also with latest firmware) and all is well. Definitely wasn't the HDFury to blame

On a side note, I have been experiencing issues with SKY and they are currently quoting either 5 days for engineer visit or pay £25 for next day service. Can't help but feel they are quoting ridiculous timeframes just to extort £25 out of people. The fact they are currently not providing the service that is being paid for is neither here nor there. Cheeky sods

Exactly. My other half works as a nurse in a&e so I’m not denying the issues caused as a result of covid (and I have 3 companies myself so dealing with the strains daily) and as I have heard all the stories from someone dealing with it first hand, but I am getting really annoyed with companies using it as an excuse for delays and to charge a premium for a service for the sake of it; especially when it’s such a big organisation. Disgusting tbh when let’s face it, they have a duty to provide the service that’s being paid for. I don’t get how they can accept that leaving me with sporadic service for several days is acceptable unless I pay extra

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom