4K projector recommendation

Do you know if the HDR logo pops up om the upper right corner of the image when the projector detects content in HDR? All 4K HDR TVs and projectors do that usually

Why does it matter if some logo appears or not? It's a red herring. Irrelevant detail. These projectors do accept a HDR signal, it's a fact.

Why does it matter if some logo appears or not? It's a red herring. Irrelevant detail. These projectors do accept a HDR signal, it's a fact.
There is a difference between a projector 'accepting' a HDR signal vs actually PLAYING a HDR signal in 2160p, BT2020 and not REC709.
My projector also accepts a HDR signal but it still plays at 1080p, REC709. I am sure you know it's not the same.

There is a difference between a projector 'accepting' a HDR signal vs actually PLAYING a HDR signal in 2160p, BT2020 and not REC709.
My projector also accepts a HDR signal but it still plays at 1080p, REC709. I am sure you know it's not the same.

There are 4K projectors that don't have WCG coverage, as many other displays. Not every display can cover DCI P3. It's still HDR. Because HDR is not actually WCG and resolution. It's the mastering of the image.

The answer is obvious.

There are 4K projectors that don't have WCG coverage, as many other displays. Not every display can cover DCI P3. It's still HDR. Because HDR is not actually WCG and resolution. It's the mastering of the image.

The answer is obvious.
But is it REC709 or BT2020? That's really the main question. If it is REC709, then what it does is just displaying 2160p resolution REC709 which is basically 4K SDR not 4K HDR

Last edited:
But is it REC709 or BT2020? That's really the main question. If not what it does is just displaying 2160p resolution REC709 which is 4K SDR not 4K HDR

No.

You don't understand HDR. It's not about color gamut. You can buy a projector with 4K resolution that accepts and projects HDR, even though it is not capable of covering more than REC.709.

Is that HDR? Yes. Is a 1080p that accepts a 4K HDR signal but is limited to 1080p, does it display HDR? Yes

Does it meet all the specifications? No.
But many displays, TV or projector, can't either. Projectors can't reach the kind of nits a TV is capable of, and even if it could, the size of regular screens would make it too bright.

A 65" TV at 1000 nits is very different from 120" screen at 1000 nits.

HDR on projectors is an adaptation, not what the standard was meant for, which is TVs.

Last edited:
No.

You don't understand HDR. It's not about color gamut. You can buy a projector with 4K resolution that accepts and projects HDR, even though it is not capable of covering more than REC.709.

Is that HDR? Yes. Is a 1080p that accepts a 4K HDR signal but is limited to 1080p, does it display HDR? Yes

Does it meet all the specifications? No.
But many displays, TV or projector, can't either. Projectors can't reach the kind of nits a TV is capable of, and even if it could, the size of regular screens would make it too bright.

A 65" TV at 1000 nits is very different from 120" screen at 1000 nits.

HDR on projectors is an adaptation, not what the standard was meant for, which is TVs.
Then my question is: what is really the difference between my UST projector (Xiami Mi UST Laser pj from 2017) and the projector quoted in post #20? Would I benefit from upgrading at all?

Then my question is: what is really the difference between my UST projector (Xiami Mi UST Laser pj from 2017) and the projector quoted in post #20? Would I benefit from upgrading at all?

I don't even know what the poster meant by decodes HDR10. HDR10 is the most basic form of HDR. What did the previous model do, just a 4K resolution?

Many things could have been improved since it's a new technology.

You should check the reviews, specifications and comments.

I don't even know what the poster meant by decodes HDR10. HDR10 is the most basic form of HDR. What did the previous model do, just a 4K resolution?

Many things could have been improved since it's a new technology.

You should check the reviews, specifications and comments.
Mine is this one discussed here:

It's been 2 years since I purchased mine and I was wondering if in these 3 years something better within same price range had come out

I decided to go with the VAVA 4K laser projector sold by Amazon

any ideas on a projector for pc use during daylight hours???

any ideas on a projector for pc use during daylight hours???

If you mean during daylight and blackout curtains then it does not matter.

But for ambient light it's a problem. Where the image is dark/darker that is where the projector is not sending light, so ambient light takes over. So the entire image will get washed out, with the dark parts being most affected.

ALR screen are used to combat ambient light, but their use is very limited.

Here is an example of an ALR screen with different lighting scenarios and different bright images:

I use Epson 9400 + Draper React 3 for daylight and its excellent on anything which isn't black on the screen. I'll take some photos.

thx for your info guys...i will look into it
but from what you have mentioned there isn’t a 100% solution

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom