4K tv for Xbox X

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This discussion was started in the xbox X thread but can it be moved in here to keep the xbox X thread clearer? (admin can the tv posts be moved in here)

Anyone after a new 4K tv for your shiny new xbox, chat in here.

Recommendations, bargains?

@Dodgexander has been a legend helping me out on the tv section, maybe he can pop in here sometimes and advise?

Im on my 4th tv, but cant seam to settle on one i like 100%, i would like 4 HDMI's at 2.0, 55" and 4K with a decent viewing angle, as i sit slightly to the side normally.

The Hisense tvs state 4 HMDIs, but only 2 are actually 2.0 speed.

Currently got a LG UH770V which i like but only has 3 HDMIs so im losing my SWITCH hook up, (always something has to give)

Got about £1k saved, so looking to spend about £600 so i have enough left for a xbox X

Personal view is that if I was you I'd save up. You won't get a good 4K TV with HDR (they may advertise HDR but won't properly display it). And in my view it is folly to spend on a TV that doesn't properly display HDR when you want to buy a console that will need HDR to properly shine.

I'd wait and save up in your position. HDR makes a bigger difference than 4K.

Personally I'd recommend a KS8000, if you can still find one as they are being phased out and replaced with the much more expensive 2017 models, the 2017 models aren't really that much better, worse in some aspects.

I picked up the 65" KS8000 a few months ago for a £1370 and love it, 4k blu rays on the One S look awesome and no doubt the Xbox One X will look amazeballs too!

If you want an OLED the LG B6 and C6 go for -£1500. The 2017 models are currently around £3K. The 2016 C6 has the benefit of Passive 3D too, but it's curved unlike the B6.

The main concern I'd have with a typical LED screen, while it's likely to be brighter than OLED, HDR viewing may be more likely to show backlight clouding during HDR viewing. Adaptive Backlight Control can minimise this, but it's effectiveness can vary.

If you want an OLED the LG B6 and C6 go for -£1500. The 2017 models are currently around £3K. The 2016 C6 has the benefit of Passive 3D too, but it's curved unlike the B6.

The main concern I'd have with a typical LED screen, while it's likely to be brighter than OLED, HDR viewing may be more likely to show backlight clouding during HDR viewing. Adaptive Backlight Control can minimise this, but it's effectiveness can vary.

Not seen them for that price...any links?

In a similar vein, can anyone recommend a 4K gaming monitor - 24-27"-ish?

I game in my office/man cave (aka the box room that's too small to be a proper bedroom....) - I'd never get on the main TV if it was downstairs!

A repost from the Xbox thread - the two 'best' TV's you can currently purchase for around £1k (at 55") Both are full UHD Premium TV's - meaning they are capable of delivering HDR to the 'minimum' standards if not better. Any TV that does not meet these specs will not be delivering HDR to the 'MINIMUM' standards but may just enable you to 'view' HDR content - in a similar principal to 'downsampling' a 4k image so you can view it on a 1080p screen. It may be 'better' than SDR in some cases, in others it can actually look worse (much darker) but to avoid any disappointment, its worth spending the extra to get at least the minimum standard of HDR.

55"KS7000 UE55KS7000 - Winner of What Hifi's best TV of 2016, UHD Premium, 4 full bandwidth HDMI's and better in some key areas than the Q7F QLED - under £1k

Or for £100 (£1099) more, SAMSUNG UE55KS8000 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 55" LED TV the 55" KS8000 (only 1 left) and more comparable to the Q9F QLED - again 4 full bandwidth HDMI's, UHD Premium certified

Both great gaming HDR TV's too - no 3D or Dolby Vision - but not needed for gaming on the current consoles and both a great match for the Xbox One X, PS4 Pro. I have the 8000 and its fantastic! The 7000 was most gamers choice last year with the PS4 Pro and the XB1s.

In many ways, HDR is the more important upgrade than resolution - it will have more impact - especially on a 55" screen at normal viewing distances. Compromising on HDR is like buying a 720p HD TV because its 'cheap' and 1080p content can still be watched. The Xbox X will not only offer games in HDR, but also Blurays, Netflix/Amazon maybe even youtube too. If you don't buy a HDR TV, or one that's downgrading it to almost SDR standards, you are missing out on the more impacting visuals that gaming and movies can offer.

I appreciate its not cheap to get a 'decent' HDR TV but its worth spending the extra, make do with whatever you have or buy the TV now and wait until you save enough to upgrade to the 'X' - especially if you own a Slim as you can still benefit from the HDR and then upgrade to the X to get the resolution. At least if you have the TV, it can benefit you in the meantime as the X isn't out until Nov.

Currys had the C6 for £1488.97 LG OLED55C6V Smart 3D 4K Ultra HD HDR 55" Curved OLED TV

But the only B6 I have found for £1489 was from Enligo.com? never heard of them myself LG 55" OLED55C6V Smart 3D 4K Ultra HD HDR Curved OLED TV price - Enligo.com

The C6 is curved with 3 HDMI's and 3D and the B6 is flat, 4 HDMI's and NO 3D

Richer Sounds still have some limited stock of the B6, very tempted to get one myself...

LG 55 INCH OLED 55 inch OLED 4K Ultra HD Premium Smart TV Freeview Play

My local branch in Bristol has one with an open box which has me tempted, never know might be able to haggle them down a bit.

I echo the good advice people have already given. There is very little point spending less on a HDR TV unless you can at least reach the mid range TV market. Otherwise you are stuck between HDR TVs that only give you better colour and HDR TVs that simply give you nothing at all..apart from the ability to accept the signal.

It annoys me a lot of the advice given out there, a lot of the manufacturer rubbish. I saw a TV advertised the other day with full 4k HDR and it was a model that didn't even have a wide colour gamut.

I have even seen gaming websites choosing TVs that aren't HDR capable as recommendations for gamers.

Anyway, as far as I am aware the One X when it comes out is going to pack more of a punch than previous consoles, but I am guessing one thing is going to remain the same, its not going to be powerful enough to render games in UHD at high frame rate. In which case I am guessing people are going to be limited to choose from the following:
UHD low frame rate, maybe even reduced quality textures
FHD high frame rate, maybe even better quality textures
??QHD maybe something between the two

So this in my eyes places even more importance on HDR vs UHD for gaming.

Watching this thread with great interest. Really wanted one of the Samsung KS8000 as they have such good reviews on these forums. However, as the One X isn't out yet, decided to wait a bit. Hoping closer to release we will see a price drop in the mid range LG OLED models.

I echo the good advice people have already given. There is very little point spending less on a HDR TV unless you can at least reach the mid range TV market. Otherwise you are stuck between HDR TVs that only give you better colour and HDR TVs that simply give you nothing at all..apart from the ability to accept the signal.

It annoys me a lot of the advice given out there, a lot of the manufacturer rubbish. I saw a TV advertised the other day with full 4k HDR and it was a model that didn't even have a wide colour gamut.

I have even seen gaming websites choosing TVs that aren't HDR capable as recommendations for gamers.

Anyway, as far as I am aware the One X when it comes out is going to pack more of a punch than previous consoles, but I am guessing one thing is going to remain the same, its not going to be powerful enough to render games in UHD at high frame rate. In which case I am guessing people are going to be limited to choose from the following:
UHD low frame rate, maybe even reduced quality textures
FHD high frame rate, maybe even better quality textures
??QHD maybe something between the two

So this in my eyes places even more importance on HDR vs UHD for gaming.

Depends on the game, Forza for example will be native 4K and 60fps.

Watching this thread with great interest. Really wanted one of the Samsung KS8000 as they have such good reviews on these forums. However, as the One X isn't out yet, decided to wait a bit. Hoping closer to release we will see a price drop in the mid range LG OLED models.
The B6 and C6 are probably the one's to consider right now if looking at OLED for the best value. The C6 more so if you also happen to have an increasing library of 3D Blu-rays - from what I've read so far no 2017 models support 3D.

I'm leaning towards the C6 myself as it may be one of the last great 3D screens, but I'm also tempted to wait. The new LG B7 has an input lag on par with the Samsung's around 20ms - but the B7 is £3K, saying that, so was the B6//C6 not so long ago.

I really can't make my mind up to grab a C6 soon, or wait a long while for a similar deal on the B7 - though that's sacrificing the 3D.

I have a Samsung KU6000 at the moment. No good for HDR but pretty good for general 4K considering the price. This will tide me over until I get a LG B7 next year when prices have come down.

The B6 and C6 are probably the one's to consider right now if looking at OLED for the best value. The C6 more so if you also happen to have an increasing library of 3D Blu-rays - from what I've read so far no 2017 models support 3D.

I'm leaning towards the C6 myself as it may be one of the last great 3D screens, but I'm also tempted to wait. The new LG B7 has an input lag on par with the Samsung's around 20ms - but the B7 is £3K, saying that, so was the B6//C6 not so long ago.

I really can't make my mind up to grab a C6 soon, or wait a long while for a similar deal on the B7 - though that's sacrificing the 3D.

At least if you miss out on the 6 series, Particularly the 3D C6, the new OLEDs have much better near black performance - something the 2016 OLED TV's were poor with - lot of crushed shadow detail. The new TV's are brighter too and comparatively a bigger jump up than the LED's have made from 2016 to 2017.

If 3D was important, why not look at the E6? I know its more expensive but its dropped in price too...

So glad I picked up a UE55KS7500 last month from John Lewis, I just love this TV. Looking forward to Xbox One X.

Depends on the game, Forza for example will be native 4K and 60fps.
Might be hard to know now, but realistically how common is this going to be? I would imagine a racing game is among the easiest to render and optimised compared to other genres?

At least if you miss out on the 6 series, Particularly the 3D C6, the new OLEDs have much better near black performance - something the 2016 OLED TV's were poor with - lot of crushed shadow detail. The new TV's are brighter too and comparatively a bigger jump up than the LED's have made from 2016 to 2017.

If 3D was important, why not look at the E6? I know its more expensive but its dropped in price too...
I've not really looked at the E6, last I saw it was around £2K, which is a big chunk of change more. Not even looked at the specs. I assumed it was basically the B6 but with 3D, which they're charging a premium for - I could be wrong, but it's not yet at the price point I'd consider anyway.

I assumed the C6 was cheaper due to the curve being an unpopular choice.

I've not really looked at the E6, last I saw it was around £2K, which is a big chunk of change more. Not even looked at the specs. I assumed it was basically the B6 but with 3D, which they're charging a premium for - I could be wrong, but it's not yet at the price point I'd consider anyway.

I assumed the C6 was cheaper due to the curve being an unpopular choice.

The C6 also has 1 less HDMI to the B6 but it does do 3D. I thought the B6 was 'over-priced' by comparison as you only get an extra HDMI, flat screen and no 3D. The E6/G6 were LG's premium TV's - picture on glass design with the Soundbar at the bottom. Both of these were regarded as the best 3D TV's of 2016, primarily because they were flat and didn't have that 'curve distortion', but the G6 was again greatly over-priced for literally a better sound-bar.

Might be hard to know now, but realistically how common is this going to be? I would imagine a racing game is among the easiest to render and optimised compared to other genres?

OK what about Gears 4 MP, 4k/60 (3rd Person Shooter), Halo 5 4k/60 (FPS), Super Luckys Tale 4k/60 (3D platformer), as will be Paladins: Champions of the Realm, Paths of Exile, Smite along with Project Cars 2 and F1. A lot of games haven't confirmed what resolution or frame rate they will be running at on the X but TF2 was said to hit 6K at times and I assume a solid 60fps as that was more important to Respawn - a game that runs at 1440p on the Pro btw....

Well @BAMozzy I started looking at the 49XD8088 for about £550 instead of the 50MU6100, I currently have two Sony sets and I like them more now Android has gotten faster with firmware updates. BUT, I think I'm going to hold out till next year sometime, if I can and buy something with true HDR. I'm sure my 8 year old lad can get by with his 720p set till then.

I think the XD80 will be better than the Samsung and people seem to be happy on this forum with them but I can't really find out if the HDR is any good. I seem to be going around in circles, all the budget tv's are rubbish for HDR, all the mid range are well over priced and the 2017 models, even budget models are silly priced!!

I would like to thank you for all your great replies, you really have been great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom