4K Ultra HD Blu-rays Q & A & General Chit Chat About Price Drops + Links to 4k UHD retailers + Codes for Zavvi and how to use them + Old Stickys.

Zoom, still waiting on my ...
Lone Survivor (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Download (Red Tag)) [UHD]
DESPATCHED - 27/09/2020 o_O
I had a very similar problem with a disc despatched on the same date.. it arrived yesterday

Nolan Collection 7 film Boxset - £62.99 (has been a bit cheaper occasionally) - I had the 21 DISCS Spanish set listed for £42 delivered in our own classifieds with no buyers. They come in individual cases and discs are the same as UK. Amazon price are a joke when you compare to what you see in our own classifieds.

Anyone know if/when we'll have to pay vat on eu imports?

My uhd collection would be no where near as big as it is without them (also thanks to zoom offers). I still feel uhds are overpriced, they are a luxury item rather than a bulk collection item

You have always had to pay VAT for EU import, Amazon.de would still charge you the rate applicable to Germany. What will happen later is you won't pay VAT to Amazon.de but you will pay that when you import it into the country along with import duty and a handling charge.

Unless there is a minimal number what both sides agree on. However my understanding is when the UK leave the EU we also leave the deal that the EU agreed with other countries, so for example you can import VAT free from the US items under £15, you won't be able to do that in future unless we sign up to a deal with the US and other countries.

You have always had to pay VAT for EU import, Amazon.de would still charge you the rate applicable to Germany. What will happen later is you won't pay VAT to Amazon.de but you will pay that when you import it into the country along with import duty and a handling charge.

Unless there is a minimal number what both sides agree on. However my understanding is when the UK leave the EU we also leave the deal that the EU agreed with other countries, so for example you can import VAT free from the US items under £15, you won't be able to do that in future unless we sign up to a deal with the US and other countries.
Not even that, it seems the £15 VAT free limit is abolished.
From this wowhd etc will now charge UK VAT on every value order not just >£15 like at the moment.
So get those foreign disc orders in while you can...

On the postive side it will mean the end of the RM £8 fee so the likes of the JB HIFi 2 for 1 deals etc will be risk free and what you pay at checkout will be the delivered price.

Although I can't see every seller actually charging UK VAT and having the hassle of having to do VAT returns and pay the VAT over. How the hell can HMRC enforce that on a seller in China? More likely they will ignore this or just stop selling to UK customers :(

For imports of goods from outside the UK in consignments not exceeding £135 in value (which aligns with the threshold for customs duty liability), we will be moving the point at which VAT is collected from the point of importation to the point of sale. This will mean that UK supply VAT, rather than import VAT, will be due on these consignments.

The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less.

Changes to VAT treatment of overseas goods sold to customers from 1 January 2021

Last edited:
HMRC could simply said no VAT for up to £135 and anything above will incur flat 20% VAT but ironically it has gone in the opposite direction by complete abolishment of £15 threshold, This means most will not bother importing. Thankfully I have gone Digital and only buy discs when they are dirt cheap. I think this will impact Steelbook collectors but those who import via eBay sellers and private sellers in the forums could get still get away by declaring as Gift but I am sure HMRC will target Gift as well.

Does anyone know what ZOOM tracking delivery description "WHISTL UK UCA" means ??

( Item was despatched on Monday, still no sign of it. )

Order placed after this states delivery tracking "Royal Mail", so the above implies a different delivery carrier ??

Thanks.

Does anyone know what ZOOM tracking delivery description "WHISTL UK UCA" means ??

( Item was despatched on Monday, still no sign of it. )

Order placed after this states delivery tracking "Royal Mail", so the above implies a different delivery carrier ??

Thanks.
My Alfred Hitchcock Collection came the same way. Wasn't in when Royal Mail delivered it had to be collected from sorting office. Assume whistl sub contract to Royal. Mail.

My Alfred Hitchcock Collection came the same way. Wasn't in when Royal Mail delivered it had to be collected from sorting office. Assume whistl sub contract to Royal. Mail.

Thanks for that....i typed in the "WHISTL & can see it's a delivery company...i hope it arrives tomorrow....

Are you guys still receiving new ZOOM releases on the Friday / Saturday, or do they tend to be later now, with the situation ?

Thanks for that....i typed in the "WHISTL & can see it's a delivery company...i hope it arrives tomorrow....

Are you guys still receiving new ZOOM releases on the Friday / Saturday, or do they tend to be later now, with the situation ?
So did I no tracking number so cannot see where it is. Think mine took 4 days to arrive. Not had any new releases off them recently but normally Sat. Even Zavvi are getting better. Star Wars Steelbook(ROTS) posted Friday arrived Saturday .

So did I no tracking number so cannot see where it is. Think mine took 4 days to arrive. Not had any new releases off them recently but normally Sat. Even Zavvi are getting better. Star Wars Steelbook(ROTS) posted Friday arrived Saturday .

Thanks again.....i haven't ordered from Zavvi for ages, because i refuse to pay delivery charges.

Not even that, it seems the £15 VAT free limit is abolished.
From this wowhd etc will now charge UK VAT on every value order not just >£15 like at the moment.
So get those foreign disc orders in while you can...

On the postive side it will mean the end of the RM £8 fee so the likes of the JB HIFi 2 for 1 deals etc will be risk free and what you pay at checkout will be the delivered price.

Although I can't see every seller actually charging UK VAT and having the hassle of having to do VAT returns and pay the VAT over. How the hell can HMRC enforce that on a seller in China? More likely they will ignore this or just stop selling to UK customers :(

For imports of goods from outside the UK in consignments not exceeding £135 in value (which aligns with the threshold for customs duty liability), we will be moving the point at which VAT is collected from the point of importation to the point of sale. This will mean that UK supply VAT, rather than import VAT, will be due on these consignments.

The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less.

Changes to VAT treatment of overseas goods sold to customers from 1 January 2021

So just to be clear, there is absolutely nothing positive to happen to importing 4ks come 2021?

pretty sure there will be reshipping companies like those in the USA so no big issues

So just to be clear, there is absolutely nothing positive to happen to importing 4ks come 2021?
As I mentioned "On the postive side it will mean the end of the RM £8 fee so the likes of the JB HIFi 2 for 1 deals etc will be risk free and what you pay at checkout will be the delivered price."

Up until now the JB HiFi buy one get one free etc offers were a bit of a risk as often they will put the value of the order as the cost of both discs. This pushed up the order value over the VAT free import limit and incurred 20% VAT and £8 RM handling fee. In 2021 if they charge VAT on purchase it will only be 20% of the cost of one disc (the other being free and so no VAT liable). Big potential saving.

I can't see them actually doing this though as it would mean deducting Australia GST and then applying UK VAT. At the moment their systems can't even manage to do GST free ordering for non Australia orders (has to be done manually in the form of a refund post checkout).

There is a bit of a Twitter storm at the moment because William Shatner said that his merchandise business would not ship to the UK after December because the new rules will pass the burden of collecting UK VAT onto the foreign shipper. He suggested that the costs of administering this would outweigh the income, so not be viable. This has apparently triggered Brexity types.

I imagine that the same may apply to other smaller retailers around the world, and they may just simply not bother selling to the UK. I'm sure Amazon and other big companies will still do it, though the low value threshold is going, so VAT even on single disc shipments. No, there is no Brexit bonus for 4K shoppers, but if you have hedged a few million in a short position in the pound, you are in for a treat.

And just to counter a negative view with a positive.....

Hopeful that should we strike decent trade deals with the US/Aus, there’s a chance that all these extra crappy fees could disappear.

Hell i’d prefer no tarifs/fees ordering from Amazon over the pond, than in France/Germany etc.

Just received this from Amazon.co.uk via America little over £ 16032135324566603659355738066473.jpg13.50 including delivery. Thought I'd better get in before any changes although think a deal will eventually lead to cheaper imports.

Low Value Consignment Relief is being scrapped by the EU too, it is being implemented in the UK to keep us aligned. I wrote to my MP regarding this months ago, only to be fobbed off. This is the sort of protectionism we should be moving away from and hopefully trade deals that get signed will allow VAT free imports again.

Predator trilogy 4K plus blu-Ray is on Amazon for £27.99 just now, it says the box may have Polish text but has English soundtrack.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom