cobhc2008

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking for a 5.0 speaker package to go with my SVS PC-2000. I'm looking for bookshelf's for the Front L/R and something small for the surround L/R, due to size restrictions.

I know I need to go and audition speakers, but I'm looking to narrow it down a little before I start auditioning.

I'm looking at mainly movie watching, but would like a Front L/R that can do music fairly well as well.

So far I've looked at the below ranges:-

Dali Opticon
Dali Rubicon (with the view of upgrading in stages)
XTZ 99
Monitor Audio Silver
ATC SCM
Q Acoustics Concept

Any help would be appreciated.

Any restrictions on the size of the centre? Ideally, the same speaker all round is best.

Width shouldn't really be more than about 500mm or so, but height and depth isn't really an issue and yes I am aware that the same speaker all around is ideal but I don't have much choice because of space restrictions especially for surrounds.

Do they need to be an on-wall flat type speaker? Or just very small box type?

Small box type would be fine.

Monitor Audio and Dali have options from their other ranges you can use for rears like Dali Fazon Sats or Picos, and Monitor Audio Radius or the on-walls from the Silver range.

If you go Rubicon or ATC, they'll need a much better receiver. Opticon will be more forgiving.

Although if it was me, I wouldn't necessarily let the rear speaker choice dictate which brand the fronts should be, or what type. You could try Amphion - easy load, and they're used in some mixing studios. They're very high on my list for my next 5.1 system.

Your listed speaker options cover quite a wide range of price points...

Yeah, I'm kind of all over the place with what I've been looking at.

I want something to keep up with my PC-2000, as my Tannoys are now way behind my sub.

I'm coming around to looking at speakers from different brands and ranges for the front 3 compared to the surrounds which might end up being my best bet to get what I'm looking for.

I would like a good upgrade to what I have, with the chance of moving up to floorstanders at the front when I'm in a bigger space.

Would I have any issues running a full set of Opticons (a pair of Opticon 1's, a pair of 2's and the Vokal) with my X2200w due to them being 4 ohm speakers?

I've realised I can accommodate the Opticon 1's as surrounds.

I have MA Silver 1s and centre and I love them. I would happily upgrade the fronts to Silver 2s and use the 1s as surrounds. Build quality is superb and support from MA is very good

I looked into XTZ 99 series recently and the retailer didnt recommend them for movies due to the ribbon tweeter being a bit fussy. He recommended the XTX spirit series but they dont look as premium as the MAs (IMO)

I can't really speak for the Opticons as although I've heard them, I've never really used them in various systems, so I can't say what they're like in reality. I can't imagine them being as demanding as the Rubicons.

Yeah, hopefully they wouldn't be so hard to push.

I heard Opticons at RS Notts (2 mids/sub + ribbons) as part of a 5.1 (full Dali Opticon plus their £1k sub...or may have been Rel...cant remember) which was cinema loud off a Yammy 3050. It was 'stunning'.

They played the start 'tank scene' from American Sniper...I felt like the tank was right there and yet vocals were spot on. Id buy them given the choice 'personally' but Ive not heard the others in your list! All the best

Dave:)

The 3050 will have been playing its own significant part in that end result.

I've decided to go with the Zensors being as though I'm a little worried about my receiver keeping up with the Opticons. I'll look at something more serious in accordance with a receiver upgrade at a later date.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom