5.1.2 atmos layout with existing speakers

gharbawi

Standard Member
Reaction score
So i ordered a new atmos capable receiver that should arrive anytime now and was wondering if i could implement atmos into my existing setup.

I currently have a 7.1 system, however, the surround back speakers are mounted way up on the back wall near the ceiling because my couch is backed up against that wall. I know it’s not ideal for a 7.1 setup but i had the speakers laying around so i thought i’d give it a try.

Now the question is will i be better off if i configure those speakers in my receiver as “back on wall” atmos speakers and go with a 5.1.2 setup or should i stick to 7.1?

I know dolby recommends that the atmos speakers be just in front of the MLP in case of a 5.1.2 setup and not behind it, but will i notice any atmos effects this way?

Ps: this will be a temporary setup as i will be moving in the next year and will hopefully have a dedicated room.

You have nothing to lose by trying it. You will be get overhead effects and the whole thing should sound better than a compromised 7.1. The obvious improvement would be to move them to the front wall, placed as high as possible and angled directly at your MLP. I would experiment with the angles with them being on the rear wall and directly above you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom