5.1 Test - Rear speakers not working Bose lifestyle 600

productsubscriber

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi community,

I just set up a Lifestyle 600 with wireless surround speakers. I went to YouTube to see a 5.1 test videos it goes through each speaker one by one. But when the test shows playing sound from left or right surround, the system doesn't play anything from surround speakers but instead the sound comes from front left and right speakers. Can you please help... Thanks

Hello. The Youtube signal that you are inputting into the amp is probably in stereo. You need a 5.1 source to run the tests from.

@
Hello. The Youtube signal that you are inputting into the amp is probably in stereo. You need a 5.1 source to run the tests from.
Thanks Rambles. Can you please recommend some audio on YouTube to test 5.1. I have a blu Ray hooked up as well.. One think more, I have Lifestyle 600 connected through HDMI ARC to TV instead of optical. Does it has any thing to do with it working as 3.1 instead on 5.1. Thanks

I think the issue is You Tube itself, my understanding is that it only outputs in stereo on most / all platforms.

The HDMI ARC is fine, and will be able to carry 5.1 audio from the TV to the amp, but only if the sound is output in 5.1, which I don't think You Tube is.

Do you have any Blu Ray discs or DVD's with audio test tracks on them?

I just tested it quickly on my system. You Tube app on the TV, HDMI ARC to the AVR, playback a 5.1 test and it is only transmitted in 2.0.

All content on TouTube is 2 channel in nature. Many of those uploading multichannel audio content are not awre that YouTube don't facilitate it. YouTube downmix everything uploaded to them as 2 channel stereo. Those uploading such content simply keep uploading it in the belief that they are making multichannel audio content available to others.

You'd be better off using a disc player or a Netflix app as opposed to using YouTube to test a surround sound setup. Netflix have test cards that also include 5.1 test tomes. Simply use the search term Test Patterns.

Last edited:
You Tube is stereo only. If you have a Netflix or Amazon Prime subscription then the majority of those programmes will be encoded with Atmos.

I just watched American Sniper in 4K using Googe Play Movies and surround is working as intended. Apparently American Sniper & Mad Max : Fury Road are regarded as one of the best movies for testing 5.1 sound systems. Thanks Rambles, dant01 & gibbsy for all the advice...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom