Question 5.1 using an AV receiver, passive soundbar plus 2 satellites and a subwoofer

elcsurrey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Please help,

I have an AV cupboard from which I have wired into my lounge area the following:
3x speaker cable to beneath the middle of my TV (front right, front centre and front left)
2x speaker cable (left and right rear)
1x subwoofer cable

My intention was to use a passive soundbar under the TV for the front side and centre speakers, and then purchase 2 satellite speakers and a subwoofer to complete the 5.1. I know that Kef used to produce this sort of set-up (see link below).
Trusted Reviews

Could anybody recommend this sort of arrangement that is available for purchase currently, or any advice on this matter. I like the neatness of the soundbars which is why I would opt for this as opposed to 3 individual front speakers in a conventional 5.1 set-up.

I have not purchased the AV receiver yet, and would also appreciate any advice on good models currently out there.

My AV cupboard will house an AV receiver, humax youview box, blue ray player, sonos connect, apple TV.

I would be very grateful for any advice offered.
Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your response.

It appears that monitor audio appear to be one of very limited manufacturers to make passive soundbars. I am quite keen on the Monitor Audio SB2 soundbar.

The reviews of the Denon 2200 are extremely positive and everyone I have spoken to recommends so that is a decision made.

For rear speakers I had looked at the Q7000 as a good option as they can easily be angled. What are your thoughts on these?

I have very limited knowledge on subwoofers. I had been recommended REL previously. The BK is just over my budget. If push came to shove I could delay my purchase to strive for the BK. Is this the best that I will find in this price category?

Thank you again for the help.

A bk sub will be cheaper than a rel. Also you really want all the speakers to be the same make and model which is why I recommended the monitor audio sound bar with the radius as rears.

I see. Is having the same make just for aesthetics or will it affect the sound?

It will affect the sound and the whole surround effect. This is because a sound can change as it pans around the different speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom