500MB Powerline & NAS... 5hrs for 17GB normal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 253639
  • Start date

Deleted member 253639

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just installed a new NAS (Netgear readynas nv+)

We're using wireless via a decent netgear router, however I had hoped to achieve better transfer speeds by using homeplugs (500mbs solwise).

I've just done the plug and play route.. plugged the router into a piggy then I have a 4 output plug in my office, into which the NAS is plugged.

I switched the wireless off on the laptop and also plugged it into the plug.

Now the first thing I have tried to transfer is a 17gb folder of photos and I am being quoted 5hrs... ?

To my mind that doesn't seem right, but can anyone confirm if that is normal or something is awry?

Now the first thing I have tried to transfer is a 17gb folder of photos and I am being quoted 5hrs... ?

That would suggest a transfer rate of approx 1mb per second. Very poor indeed. Something would definitely be wrong here. You would never get the 500mbps advertised by the homeplug in any case , but it should be somewhere between 50 and 150 mbps at least.

Download the free trial of this , and test the network for throughput.

Bandwidth Monitor - Monitor Bandwidth, Network Bandwidth Monitor, Bandwidth Monitor Software

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the quick response!
I've actually just noticed that the NAS is recovering a drive so that might be the issue... I'll try it again when it has recovered just to make sure.

I knew I would never ever get near 500 but I did think 1mbs seemed a little low...
!

70-112 mbps now :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom