55" ? old movies - HD content

alfra

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After having spent some hours reading here I come for help with my first post.
I want to buy a TV - been living without it for the past 3 years, watching stuff on my laptop / iPad. Please excuse in advance the stupid questions, I've been reading a lot here to catch up on the latest tech developments.

I bought one 43" Hisense 7300 for black friday bargains but I figured out I had to move my sofa 1.5 meter closer to be able to enjoy properly a Netflix movie, so I returned it. After reading a lot it seems the Hisense H55U8B would be the right one for me. I like very much its design, can have it for 700€. I would not want to spend much more than that, otherwise the Sony XF/G9005 would have been better I guess (but more expensive). I do not want OLED since it's over budget and I plan to use it as monitor from time to time to WFH.

Depending on how I sit on the couch my eyes are between 2.6 and 3.2 meters from the screen. I often watch movies with subtitles, so I thought 55 would do well.
I don't watch sports, I don't play video games, my use will be a mix of Netflix, documentaries, AND quite a lot of old school movies from the 80's. I don't watch regular TV. I was wondering if 55 won't be too big since it will upscale SD content (or I need to find my favourite movies remastered, haven't looked if it even exists yet). But on the other hand, smaller (50"?) would not be so enjoyable for full HD / 4K content.

What is your take on my situation? Is 55 going to do? Any other model you would suggest for my use?
Thanks a lot for your contribution, I'm a bit lost here.

Last edited:
You're on the right track looking at the Hisense. For mixed usage a 55" at your viewing distance is okay. I'd want to go bigger for a 65" to make the most of UHD content.

Simply put, you really need to spend quite a lot more to beat the Hisense for value for money. There are TVs more expensive from other manufacturers that perform worse, and as you rightly say, you'd be looking at the Sony XF9005 to be an improvement and even then the Sony will mainly only be an improvement using HDR content.

Thanks a lot for your feedback D. What about upscaling SD content? Will that produce something watchable from this distance on this screen size?

Thanks a lot for your feedback D. What about upscaling SD content? Will that produce something watchable from this distance on this screen size?
Your viewing distance is so far I wouldn't worry too much about it. Upscaling gets better on higher end models and its perhaps a little worse on the Hisense U8B compared to say the Samsung RU8000 but SD is never going to look great on any TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom