Any reviews of the LG 55SM9800PLA (2019 LG NanoCell TV)?

All accounts? better contrast yes.. What else is it better at than a SM9800...
But, we all know.. that baby sitting or only person that watches the TV will pro-long OLED retention.
If this is your situation good luck with the gamble.. Also if you buy a new TV every two years and scrap the old one shouldn't be a problem either.
Per-pixel lighting, colors, contrast, (panel) latency, viewing angle, screen reflection, everything at least a little better except maybe nits (peak brightness), I don't know that for SM9800. And I don't know anybody that pays 2000$+ every 1-2 years, although I believe there are some.

I wanted to go for the C8 last year but pulled the brake and bought a car. I will wait for the C10 at least, maybe C11... I'm not in it for only a couple of years.

55SM9800 Review (not English)

I understand the language so I can summarize the "review":

They were very "mellow" in describing the contrast and dark scenes, said almost nothing about watching in the dark or blooming/bleed. Mostly said it has a great picture and that's it.

Somehow I doubt it, first dark scene in a darker room is going to be a horrible party of bloom. In the day or a light room (as in the video) I guess it will be fine.

Per-pixel lighting, colors, contrast, (panel) latency, viewing angle, screen reflection, everything at least a little better except maybe nits (peak brightness), I don't know that for SM9800. And I don't know anybody that pays 2000$+ every 1-2 years, although I believe there are some.

I wanted to go for the C8 last year but pulled the brake and bought a car. I will wait for the C10 at least, maybe C11... I'm not in it for only a couple of years.

Also the A9 Gen2 processor. The 55" C9 has dropped in price from £2499 to £1999 (richer sounds including a 6 year guarantee for that price), the SM9800 is still £1599.

If LG made the top 95/98 models with much more zones the blooming wouldn't be so noticable, right now it looks like some cheap TV doing it. And all the good things 98 has go out the window for most people when they see that.

Don't buy a Nanocell i have bought two LG 65SM9010PLA first one picture kept freezing got replacement it worked loved the web os but blooming was horrendous on right hand side of screen so was sent back ordered a LGC8 it arrived wouldn't even start up so now waiting on LGC9 if this doesn't work am done with LG

Yeah love the web os and the remote waiting on delivery of 65 inch c9 on Monday

Flatpanels Hd just published their report on the nanocell
Doesn’t make good reading
LG SM90 (SM9000) review - FlatpanelsHD

Thanks for link:smashin:

Looks like he didn't know all the features the TV has some inaccuracy's as well.

Socket panel is a mess due to some facing wall .. (few connectors in recessed box shape) were they in the wrong place in the box? also L-shape connectors mate?:confused:
Doesn't think or know how the AI works in the TV … There are so many videos show this I'm guessing he needs to show he's is not clued up or doesn't want to be. :confused: (Hint LG website)
Not a fan of remote as needs high concentration... Enough said. (AI would of helped but you don't know what it does) ok..Enough said now.:confused:
Netflix and Amazon are redundant buttons .. Wow? (IOT):confused:
Nothing to gain from ATMOS on the unit.. Even though has WISA support .. Oh dear mate:confused:
Alpha 7 Gen2 cannot do 4K HDR at 120Hz.. I think this is coming as a update (in SM9800 specs anyway)
Whinged a lot about low bitrate and SDR content.. Because we buy this type of TV to watch that don't we :eek:
Yeah Blooming but if you come at me bruv with that I'll defend with `How's your organic dying pixels..` Do you hear the millions of screams when the TV goes on..
IPS v VA viewing angles .. well RTINGS said the Samsung's Q range is useless at 30 degrees... Darn:confused:

Conclusion .. Samsung fan boy. :rotfl:

Google Translate

So I see this very basic review of the SM9800 `translated` but they link to a promotion in Romania where you get a free LG SL4Y Sound bar with the Nanocell series..(First 100 people when you read the details) Good for some I suppose..

It seems incredible that no expert web talk about the disaster of the sm9800 with hdr in amazon as in movies 4k hdr, in normal conditions the halos or flowering are a disaster but the hdr is jail.I have been almost two months with the tv and I do not leave my astonishment size disaster, appear as light balloons in certain images, aureas around characters etc, the joke is that besides that illumination appears with delay, when there is a change of scene and an actor or another appears the back lighting He arrives half a second late with the halos around the actors or other objects.
It is inadmissible that this can happen, it is inadmissible that no expert call denounces it.
The Lg LEDs do not have an arrangement as long as I do not want to, a better processor and more areas would fix the subject something but it would not be the total solution.
If you do not want to go to the psychologist, do not buy this TV.

Soi from Spain used a translator

It seems incredible that no expert web talk about the disaster of the sm9800 with hdr in amazon as in movies 4k hdr, in normal conditions the halos or flowering are a disaster but the hdr is jail.I have been almost two months with the tv and I do not leave my astonishment size disaster, appear as light balloons in certain images, aureas around characters etc, the joke is that besides that illumination appears with delay, when there is a change of scene and an actor or another appears the back lighting He arrives half a second late with the halos around the actors or other objects.
It is inadmissible that this can happen, it is inadmissible that no expert call denounces it.
The Lg LEDs do not have an arrangement as long as I do not want to, a better processor and more areas would fix the subject something but it would not be the total solution.
If you do not want to go to the psychologist, do not buy this TV.

Soi from Spain used a translator
It is strange in a way, true. I guess they don't want to get on LG's bad side...

p.s. when you use a translator for spanish, try to write in simpler terms, this way it looks funny even though it is not funny for you as an SM9800 owner

The Lg LEDs go so high with Hdr and it won't be for this:

* HDR10 Pro and HLG Pro are LG proprietary HDR solutions that process the HDR signal dynamically

Blooming..you want to see Blooming.. well 5:00 to 5:45 … really you `need` to make a "that's terrible" post.. :nono:
But No one has made a " I game 2-3 hours solid all the time on a OLED with no problems" post...

Last edited:
Well no-one can say I didn't root for the under dog.

Over 17000 views for what looks like the only main Nanocell thread.
I have (Possibly) decided to think like UK LG sales director and that is ignore the SM9800, hide it away, don't show it to anyone in the UK and basically don't care about the Nanocell flagship TV.
This reasoning is because there is not one shop in the UK showing the SM9800 working in their shop.

So therefore I have decided to get a C9

Its been fun but now I will be in the C9 threads.

Its my baby so I'm back :clap:

Digital Trends on the SM9000

HDMI eARC test with LG SM9000 and Denon AVR-X1600H

Big Tip for Netflix and Dolby ATMOS to work correct (not sure if the same on LG OLED)

HDMI eARC test with LG SM9000 and Denon AVR-X1600H

Big Tip for Netflix and Dolby ATMOS to work correct (not sure if the same on LG OLED)

I linked that one in another thread, not sure anybody saw it, but there is not much about the TV. Darko (reviewer) said the review will be up soon.

I linked that one in another thread, not sure anybody saw it, but there is not much about the TV. Darko (reviewer) said the review will be up soon.

Which other thread? was basic info..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom