Sony 55XE9305 hdmi blinks/flashes black randomly

Slogra

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a problem with my hdmi connection with my digital tv box, it blinks black for a second randomly, without losing sound.

Sometimes it happens two or three times an hour, sometimes only once every other hour, totally random, and it doesnt seem to increase with time.

Could this be a hdcp handshake issue or is it some setting in the TV?

Or is it a firmware issue?

I had no problem with the exact same tv box+hdmi cable on my old Sony TV.

Things I've tried: Cut the power to everything, switched hdmi ports, pulled out the cable and put it back in 4-5 times, lowered resolution in the TV-Box settings, turned off auto settings like light sensor, auto picture mode, settings like that in the TV settings.

I own a 55xe9305.

Hey guys

I have a problem with my hdmi connection with my digital tv box, it blinks black for a second randomly, without losing sound.

Sometimes it happens two or three times an hour, sometimes only once every other hour, totally random, and it doesnt seem to increase with time.

Could this be a hdcp handshake issue or is it some setting in the TV?

Or is it a firmware issue?

I had no problem with the exact same tv box+hdmi cable on my old Sony TV.

Things I've tried: Cut the power to everything, switched hdmi ports, pulled out the cable and put it back in 4-5 times, lowered resolution in the TV-Box settings, turned off auto settings like light sensor, auto picture mode, settings like that in the TV settings.

I own a 55xe9305.

Hi Slogra, Latest Sony firmware update ( 23rd May) should cure your problem. Regards Ian.

Hi Slogra, are you still getting the blinking issue?......Because it's still affecting my Sony XE9305 TV and it drives me nuts, especially when I'm gaming.

I have same issue with mine. Store took it back today to check. Had other pixel issues as well.

Hi Slogra, are you still getting the blinking issue?......Because it's still affecting my Sony XE9305 TV and it drives me nuts, especially when I'm gaming.

I had this on both my PS4 pro and XBOX one S. They both run through an HDMI switch. The causes for both were different:

XBOX - I had stupidly enabled 12bit colour. Change it to 10, nothing supports 12 bit I believe.

PS4 - Replaced the HDMI cable with an Amazon Basics one.

So far mine has been fine since I changed the cable about a week ago.

Hi Mortey, mine is running off separate HDMI cables no splitter, and they are the HDMI cables that came with the consoles. I've had this problem the whole time I've owned this TV and I've installed all of the latest updates. Whether I'm gaming on my Xbox One X or PS4 Pro the blinking problem still persists. Think I'm going to contact the Richer Sounds store I brought it from, because I've had this issue for months now.

I have the same TV and the same problem. When you say blinking do you mean the screen going black for a split second and the info (.input resolution etc appearing at the top of the screen) that is what is happening with my set and the latest firmware hasn’t made any difference. Everything is fed via a Denon 2300 AVR in my case and it happens with TiVo Xbox Blu-ray and ATV.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I also have the 5603 (??) update on mine, I manually installed it before it was pulled. Not sure if that has had an effect.

Hi Moedeeb that's exactly what I'm referring to. It only happens for a split second, but it normally happens about once an hour, but odd times it might be 2 or 3. It shows which hdmi I'm using the resolution etc. My setup is a Sony soundbar and subwoofer, then I have a Tivo box, Sony Blu Ray player, an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro all hooked up to it..

Looks like we all have the same problem. Has anyone contacted Sony? In my case it is slightly annoying but I can live with it. Hopefully the next firmware update will sort it out!

Is this not solved by turning off the display input setting or is it something else. I get the occasional annoying display at the top of the screen telling me I’m watching Sky 1080i, however the whole screen does not blank out (yet).

I posted elsewhere an issue with the screen suddenly going blank with sound still working when viewing freeview and worst of all youtube and Netflix. Replacement motherboard solved it for the most part.

So, anybody found a fix for this? Or is it simply the sign of a faulty TV?
I had an XE9305 which did not do this. I got some thunderflies inside my TV and Sony arranged a swap-out for me, that happened today.
I've spent an hour or so putting all of my settings back in so it looks great. Settle down to watch something on Netflix and after about an hour quick flicker so black and then back as if nothing had happened.
Thought it was a one off, watched something through my Sky+ box and after about 45 minutes a single flicker off and back on.

All my HDMI cables are top-notch "Premium Certified" even though the one from Sky+ to Reciever certainly doesn't need to be.
In fact all of this kit was working 100% fine, no flicker, with the EX9305 that was taken away this afternoon, but there is now an issue with my replacement unit.

So it's now getting worse. Decided to factory reset the TV and during that initial setup the screen blinked/flickered off/on no less than 10 times.
Watching external sources, Sky & PS4 Pro and I get the same thing, I've just watched Sky and it did it 3 times in 10 minutes. Last night on the PS4 Pro, once every 30 minutes or so.
Going to put another support call in to Sony as this is definitely a faulty unit - so much for the "your replacement TV will be factory refurbished, but like new", what complete rubbish. Fast losing faith in Sony.

I wonder what is your software version I only experience blinking screen while playing on play station pro (when games in HDR screen is getting black for split second).

It's the software from May - 6.5603, this is what it came loaded with from Sony.
I'm currently in the process of creating some videos to send to Sony when they respond to my latest support request. The one I've uploaded showing what is happening is below. Yes, I know it has my real name in it, limited audience and I'll clear it down once the support request has finished.
This is a 5 minute clip of my TV with the PS4 Pro.
Timestamps:
7s
12s
1m 34s
4m 17s
4m 22s
I'm getting the same from my Sky+ box and also when just using built-in apps. They are happening at random times. Sometimes I'll get one a minute, other times I'll wait 30 minutes before I see one.

Last edited:
It's the software from May - 6.5603, this is what it came loaded with from Sony.
I'm currently in the process of creating some videos to send to Sony when they respond to my latest support request. The one I've uploaded showing what is happening is below. Yes, I know it has my real name in it, limited audience and I'll clear it down once the support request has finished.
This is a 5 minute clip of my TV with the PS4 Pro.
Timestamps:
19s
22s
1m 45s
4m 28s
4m 33s
I'm getting the same from my Sky+ box and also when just using built-in apps. They are happening at random times. Sometimes I'll get one a minute, other times I'll wait 30 minutes before I see one.

Surely back it goes, no questions asked.

I have experienced the exact same from what the video is showing us. But with me? My issue is standing with the Panasonic ub900. Now..I'm not to familiar with the PS4 settings. But, I managed to resolve my issue from selecting (4K60P Output) To off. When turned on..I will see random black flashes, (a hair quicker than your own) Seen between the Menu screen to watching DVDs. I would like to add that I will never see any type of black flashes when watching Blu-rays and 4K movies.

I completed some further testing last night and managed to catch some more issues. First, using the built-in iPlayer app. Single blink in this clip at 15s

Then watching something on the built-in NF app gave me the following clip.
Blinks at:
40s
58s
1m 4s

So I'm getting the blinks/flickers from PS4 Pro, Sky HD box as well as built-in iPlayer and NF apps.

I'm getting the same issue over HDMI ports 2 & 3 (the 4k ports) with both an external AppleTV 4k and a PS4Pro 4k. Happens intermittently, sometimes once every few minutes, sometimes once every 30mins, sometimes only once every few hours. Very annoying.

Have tried a variety of HDMI cables, firmwares, resets, unplugs and the issue keeps coming back.

These random blinks and black screens is sounding like a limited bandwidth problem. I may be wrong but something about this is really strange. Is this limited to the 55inch xe93? What software version is everyone with this problems using.
I have got a 65 xe93, and still using the original firmware on my set since when I bought it back in December last year. My Sony X800, Oppo 105eu, Virgin V6 box, my gaming PC and included apps on TV are all working fine with no blinks or black screens what so ever.

Roku stick plus was the only product that gave blinks when watching HDR content on You tube which I have since sent back.

From the look of things it's either a 55inch problem or software or a bad batch of sets.

These random blinks and black screens is sounding like a limited bandwidth problem. I may be wrong but something about this is really strange. Is this limited to the 55inch xe93? What software version is everyone with this problems using.
I have got a 65 xe93, and still using the original firmware on my set since when I bought it back in December last year. My Sony X800, Oppo 105eu, Virgin V6 box, my gaming PC and included apps on TV are all working fine with no blinks or black screens what so ever.

Roku stick plus was the only product that gave blinks when watching HDR content on You tube which I have since sent back.

From the look of things it's either a 55inch problem or software or a bad batch of sets.

Without wanting to tempt fate my 55 doesn't have this issue.

I'm getting the same issue over HDMI ports 2 & 3 (the 4k ports) with both an external AppleTV 4k and a PS4Pro 4k. Happens intermittently, sometimes once every few minutes, sometimes once every 30mins, sometimes only once every few hours. Very annoying.

Have tried a variety of HDMI cables, firmwares, resets, unplugs and the issue keeps coming back.

Try and confirm if the issue is happening with internal apps as well, or if this is purely an external device issue.
I've had this issue and it happened with everything - Sky Box, PS4 Pro, built in iPlayer, built in Netflix, built in Prime video.

I was under the impression it would be HDMI related when I first saw the problem, but when I sat there using internal apps only and saw the same problem (albeit less frequently) I knew it must be the TV rather than external connections.
As per my other thread - mine was diagnosed with a faulty back-light.

It's now sounding like a faulty batch of TV sets.

Mine seems to have come back, it doesn't black out the screen but the top bar pops up now and again. It's really annoying. Hopefully the update in September will do something....Although I may try a complete reset to see if that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom