65" for tv and ocassional gaming?

Whitehawk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just registered although have read avforums for many years. Can you help me please?

I'm looking for a 65" tv for the living room.
I've given up on the thought of an OLED for the fact of gaming on it and I don't want to live my life in fear :)
Keen to have the best specs for gaming although i'm not clear what I should be looking for.... Freesync? Is HDMI2.1 necessary?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to post.

Freesync? Is HDMI2.1 necessary?
TVs are currently in the transition phase between HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.1.
LGs OLEDs are the only models to offer a full HDMI 2.1 featureset and also have acceptable HDR performance. The other option is their SM90xx LCD TV, but it's a poor TV where HDR is concerned.

Samsung's higher end LCD TVs Q70R and up are the ones that have the best gaming features. Despite using only HDMI 2.0 ports they have modified them to include some HDMI 2.1 features like Auto Low Latency Mode and Variable Refresh Rate. The latter is limited to only 60hz until you reach the Q90R though and its not official support so it may cause issues in the future. The other thing that make Samsung TVs so good for gaming is the ability to be able to use all their motion settings in games, something you can't do without adding input lag on other models.

I'd suggest if you want HDMI 2.1 features and an LCD TV to wait it out until Samsungs 2021 models have been released and are reasonable in price (probably first time Black Friday) and buy one of those instead. They at least have 1x HDMI 2.1 port.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with a lot of info.

Hmmm best to wait but can an impatient person manage 😆

You did say occasional gaming. If that is the case I wouldnt necessarily be dismissive of oled and the LG B9 or C9 would be excellent all rounders...

Hi Thedoswells,

Yeah just occasional gaming, by that I mean that it is weekly, 2-3 days max per week for 3 to 4 hours max but it does tend to be the same game in one session and with radars on screen such as fifa or pubg. I would love the C9 as it ticks all the boxes but seeing some you tube videos of the image retention of these types of games worries me, particularly when it's not covered under any warranty. 🤔

Hi Thedoswells,

Yeah just occasional gaming, by that I mean that it is weekly, 2-3 days max per week for 3 to 4 hours max but it does tend to be the same game in one session and with radars on screen such as fifa or pubg. I would love the C9 as it ticks all the boxes but seeing some you tube videos of the image retention of these types of games worries me, particularly when it's not covered under any warranty. 🤔

burn in is a reality but I’d be surprised if you had the issue on a tv as recent and good as the c9. But if it’s a question of peace of mind I can understand...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom