8K or not 8K? – that is the question. - article discussion

I just bought the Samsung 55Q950r and I can say it’s amazing in 8K! Even the smaller screen size doesn’t matter.

8K doesn't need to exist – no one can see it at a comfortable viewing distance. 100% pointless. End of conversation.

Yes they can utter rubbish!
I think what Slinkywizard meant, is that a 65" TV is the largest most UK households will buy, and at the relatively close viewing distance of the average UK lounge, most people's eyesight won't be good enough to see the extra detail in an 8k image over a 4k image.
Personally I agree with this, 8k seems a waste of bandwidth until 100" wall mounted screens are the norm!
However, despite this I would see 8k screens becoming popular in the coming years, eventually replacing 4k screens almost completely. I think there will be two reasons for this: Firstly 8k will no doubt eventually bundle some other image improvements with it, such as 4k bundled HDR. And secondly Joe Public in their ignorance will simply think 8k is better than 4k, especially when the 8k gaming consoles come out at the end of 2020.

I think what Slinkywizard meant, is that a 65" TV is the largest most UK households will buy, and at the relatively close viewing distance of the average UK lounge, most people's eyesight won't be good enough to see the extra detail in an 8k image over a 4k image.
Personally I agree with this, 8k seems a waste of bandwidth until 100" wall mounted screens are the norm!
However, despite this I would see 8k screens becoming popular in the coming years, eventually replacing 4k screens almost completely. I think there will be two reasons for this: Firstly 8k will no doubt eventually bundle some other image improvements with it, such as 4k bundled HDR. And secondly Joe Public in their ignorance will simply think 8k is better than 4k, especially when the 8k gaming consoles come out at the end of 2020.

I run a 133" screen at native 4K, and I am telling you, no one would be able to tell the difference, even at that size, at the 10' viewing distance I typically sit. How do I know? Because at 4K there is detail I cannot see till I move closer to my screen. At 133 inches!

8K is a number being used to sell televisions to a market that wrongly believes more is always better. That is all. At some point it's all we'll be able to buy but even then there will be little if any native 8K content available, and when there is no one will be able to tell without being told it's 8K.

There's impetus, then, to add '8K' to the sticker on the telly in the shop – it'll shift units as it constitutes the latest and greatest tech. But let's not kid ourselves it will improve our viewing experience in any way. And let's not forget the absolute AGONY producing a film in 8K would add to the production chain of any movie or show. CGI right now is typically in 2K because rendering times are astronomical. Why would any movie studio add 16x to the rendering cost just because the Samsung is stiving for advantages in market appeal?

8K is pure nonsense and should be roundly ignored.

Last edited:
The masses are going to flock to the shops and buy 8K devices, then straight down to Tesco and raid the DVD £3 each titles.

Little point in me even considering 8K in the modest living room, the 65'' OLED is certainly big enough and has all the detail that I will ever need. At this moment in time with little or no native 8K being available for streaming, disc or broadcast then I think it's selling an idea to the gullible.

...8K is a number being used to sell televisions to a market that wrongly believes more is always better. That is all. At some point it's all we'll be able to buy but even then there will be little if any native 8K content available, and when there is no one will be able to tell without being told it's 8K...

Absolute bingo. It's one-upism is all it is. I still have doubts that most people can see the extra detail of 1080p (on whatever regular TV they watch) over 720p; HD marketing 'forgot' to talk about viewing distances and/or the prevalence of myopia.

The masses are going to flock to the shops and buy 8K devices, then straight down to Tesco and raid the DVD £3 each titles.
This is so true. And they will still be watching Standard def TV channels in vivid mode and maximum motion processing and thinking that it looks fantastic because the guy in curry's told them it does. :facepalm:

I run a 133" screen at native 4K, and I am telling you, no one would be able to tell the difference, even at that size, at the 10' viewing distance I typically sit. How do I know? Because at 4K there is detail I cannot see till I move closer to my screen. At 133 inches!

8K is a number being used to sell televisions to a market that wrongly believes more is always better. That is all. At some point it's all we'll be able to buy but even then there will be little if any native 8K content available, and when there is no one will be able to tell without being told it's 8K.

There's impetus, then, to add '8K' to the sticker on the telly in the shop – it'll shift units as it constitutes the latest and greatest tech. But let's not kid ourselves it will improve our viewing experience in any way. And let's not forget the absolute AGONY producing a film in 8K would add to the production chain of any movie or show. CGI right now is typically in 2K because rendering times are astronomical. Why would any movie studio add 16x to the rendering cost just because the Samsung is stiving for advantages in market appeal?

8K is pure nonsense and should be roundly ignored.

Absolute Rubbish, in Singapore would see 8k and 4k sets side by side, the difference was obvious. although in Singapore I didn't see many small 65 inch tvs, they were 80 inch plus with some 100+ in some shops. An 8K with good content is like looking through a window and not knowing it is a tv...

Absolute Rubbish, in Singapore would see 8k and 4k sets side by side, the difference was obvious. although in Singapore I didn't see many small 65 inch tvs, they were 80 inch plus with some 100+ in some shops. An 8K with good content is like looking through a window and not knowing it is a tv...

You saw a TV in a shop. A SHOP where 8K is what it wants to sell. I am talking about my DAILY experience with resolution on a screen that is vast in scale, from a projector able to deliver something up there with the very best 4K images imaginable. With all due respect, I trust my own eyes and my own experience more than I do a stranger's anecdote about pixel-peeping in a heavily biased sales environment.

This made me chuckle, it so true :laugh:.

One thing that will happen as its happened with HD panels is that as the technology becomes cheaper, anything but budget models will only be available in UHD as they are with HD panels today. When this happens though, those who once purchased DVD players will stream as everything

You saw a TV in a shop. A SHOP where 8K is what it wants to sell. I am talking about my DAILY experience with resolution on a screen that is vast in scale, from a projector able to deliver something up there with the very best 4K images imaginable. With all due respect, I trust my own eyes and my own experience more than I do a stranger's anecdote about pixel-peeping in a heavily biased sales environment.
stay with 4k then and feel happy...

Maybe this one will help Back to basics :D

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhPaU0y6U2s&t=2s

This is so true. And they will still be watching Standard def TV channels in vivid mode and maximum motion processing and thinking that it looks fantastic because the guy in curry's told them it does. :facepalm:
I am watching the 8K in standard settings not vivid I haven’t changed my settings because they are so good!

8K is way better than 4K I can confirm.

8K might be the all singing pixel count of the future (for a few months), but when most channels dont even have a native 4k feed its pretty pointless just now. For me I think 8K is a gimmick which will flutter about for a good number of years yet before the masses even consider jumping ship. Hell out of all the people I know only 4 of them have a 4K screen, some of them still have 720p upscale TVs.

also...is there actually any 8k content available?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom