8K or not 8K? – that is the question. - article discussion

8K gaming next year too! And then probably usb sticks with 8K you will be able to buy and 8K streaming too:

Absolute Rubbish, in Singapore would see 8k and 4k sets side by side, the difference was obvious. although in Singapore I didn't see many small 65 inch tvs, they were 80 inch plus with some 100+ in some shops. An 8K with good content is like looking through a window and not knowing it is a tv...
No doubt. Yet take it home now after splashing the cash and just where are you going to get your 8K native content? I would say that, world wide, 80% of content on broadcast TV is still SD let alone HD or UHD.

TV manufacturers need to take your money and the 8K promise of the ultimate viewing experience with almost zero content is at this moment just smoke and mirrors.

Decided to upgrade to a Qled TV and I am so glad I didn’t nothing wrong with my screen at all. Sold the Philips yesterday.
You change your TVs like I change my socks. Once a month whether I need to or not. :)

8K gaming next year too! And then probably usb sticks with 8K you will be able to buy and 8K streaming too:

I think you mean 4K gaming upscaled to 8K ;)

Although 8K content is the main issue (and a reason Im not in any rush to upgrade), surely pixel density helps to provide a better picture? Now if the 8K screens come down in price and there isnt much difference between them and 4K, I'm going 8K.

Last edited:
Check out the owners thread here:

2 of us have got it and we are both saying it’s amazing. I have tried to do a video and some pictures in 8K, I know that’s pretty useless on our laptops etc but I still think it looks really good.

If its games consoles it will be, PS5 is stating 8K gaming, no chance (or if it is it will be 1-3 titles in its lifecycle and they wont be AAA). I am hoping we get stable 4K 60fps. 8K 60FPS/30FPS at £400...ill eat my hat.

The argument for 8K...

Spinal-Tap-These-Go-To-Eleven.jpg

I seem to remember the same argument, some years ago with 1080p vs. 4k. Just saying.

It isnt 8k, its 4k....the current 4k is actually 2k......if we use the Full HD 1080 marketing method ;)

I seem to remember the same argument, some years ago with 1080p vs. 4k. Just saying.

Well, people making that argument were and are daft. With a big enough screen 4K versus HD is a huge jump in detail. Problem is, you can't do it again as human eyes can't detect 8K at normal viewing distance. And of course, the bigger the screen, the further back you have to sit. There is nowhere you could sit that's close enough your eyes could detect 8K where you will be able to see all of the screen.

You can see 8K when pixel-peeping. Sit down, anywhere where you could feasibly watch a film, and you can no longer see it. There is no parity between arguments for 4K versus 1080p and 4K versus 8K. 4K sits right on the human vision/viewing distance event horizon. 8K pointlessly goes beyond it.

Content is king.... blah blah blah. Like a lot of Home AV fans once you start seeing some native 8K content then maybe, just maybe it will be technology worth getting on board with. Currently a lot of 4K content is up scaled from a 2K master. And we're what? 5 years in with 4K?

Personally, it might be awesome for pub bragging rights but apart from that I'm searching for a reason that's compelling other than "new, shiny!"

Via YouTube on my Samsung Q950r standard settings which is the factory settings on it. The difference was massive!
Seeing as Samsung state that their 8K QLEDs can't actually interpet the 8K youtube codecs, that's some witchcraft right there. It was the same in the Q900R and it is the same in the Q950R. I'll happily prove this if you'd like....

But ok sure, if your eyes think they can see the difference on a 55 inch. You'll only change your mind again in 5 months time. Mind you, your eyes seem to think that a Philips LCD is better than an OLED.......
Your opinion changes with the weather I swear.

Last edited:
Content is king.... blah blah blah. Like a lot of Home AV fans once you start seeing some native 8K content then maybe, just maybe it will be technology worth getting on board with. Currently a lot of 4K content is up scaled from a 2K master. And we're what? 5 years in with 4K?

Personally, it might be awesome for pub bragging rights but apart from that I'm searching for a reason that's compelling other than "new, shiny!"
Did someone mention "new, shiny!" - now I have to get 8k! (See my avatar)

Personally, I cannot see the point in 8k given that there is no real 8k content. Even a £1,000 graphics card like an RTX2080Ti wont support 8k gaming - so there is no chance that the PS5 will support 8k gaming. (Other than by just upscaling in exactly the same way that an 8k TV would do with any source anyway.)

I would much rather see better pixels rather than more of them e.g. higher frame rate content, better contrast ratios on LCDs, higher peak brightness, REC2020 colour gamuts etc.

However as far as most consumers are concerned "bigger number equals bigger better" :(

For a manufacturers marketing department, it is much easier to explain to a potential buyer that a TV has a sharper picture because it has more pixels than to try to explain better HDR or wider colour gamuts.

Seems to me that people who have seen 8K TV's next to 4K TV's can see the differences, I only imagine those differences are better seen on 8K pseudo projection like the NX9 at larger than TV sizes. Bring it on I say.

"Even a £1,000 graphics card like an RTX2080Ti wont support 8k gaming - so there is no chance that the PS5 will support 8k gaming"

I strongly disagree. I can set the render resolution on lots of games to 8K on my £1300 GTX 2080ti and I get a ROCK-SOLID 15fps.

Resolution is only a very small part of the equation, and frankly we don’t need 8K Televisions. I’d much prefer the industry to continue their work in perfecting 4K UHD HDR workflows.

There’s a big risk that production houses won’t invest in 4K HDR equipment and mastering if they feel 8K is just around the corner.

The BBC have been talking about using HLG HDR with 1080i content via Freeview & Freesat - it saves so much bandwidth and it’s almost indistinguishable to 4K - in fact the quality can be better, owning to less compression artefacts.

In 2002 the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, CA installed one of the worlds first DCI projectors for ‘Star Wars: Attack of the Clones’ (which had been filmed, edited and mastered entirely digitally).

This was a 2K projector and it filled the massive screen. I was sat fairly near the front of the auditorium and no pixels were visible. Even on a screen of that massive size, 2K pixel density from the projector wasn’t an issue.

The rush to higher and higher resolutions seems totally crazy, when there’s lots of other picture and technology improvements that can be made.

Regards,
James.

Everything I've read so far says that the latest tech that will be used in the new consoles is what's available now on top spec' PC's (which was the same with previous consoles) and none of them can run decent fps speeds in native 8K.

Everything I've read so far says that the latest tech that will be used in the new consoles is what's available now on top spec' PC's (which was the same with previous consoles) and none of them can run decent speeds in native 8K.

Out next year, more like what upper-mid-range is now on PC – RTX 2060/2070ish. They won't get anywhere near a TOP-spec 2019 PC. However, there will obviously be optimisation benefits to the closed nature of the platforms. They will punch above their weight.

Out next year, more like what upper-mid-range is now on PC – RTX 2060/2070ish. They won't get anywhere near a TOP-spec 2019 PC. However, there will obviously be optimisation benefits to the closed nature of the platforms. They will punch above their weight.

But they're still not gonna run native 8k even when optimized, if they are 8k it will be upscaled. 15fps is dreadful for a new console.

Last edited:
But they're still not gonna run native 8k even when optimized, if they are 8k it will be upscaled.

Yep. Most games will be 4K/30. If you want 60fps, you need the power and flexibility of PC.

[Yep. Most games will be 4K/30. If you want 60fps, you need the power and flexibility of PC.
I agree. Steady 8k for gaming with ray tracing is a while away I think. In my opinion 8k is only being promoted so the big panel manufactures can keep there sales targets up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom