Question 9.2.4 or 7.2.6 Speaker Setup?

MartinGibraltar

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this forum. I have a 10-seat home cinema setup as follows

Screen – Steward CineW 130” screen
Projector – JVC DLA-RS65E
Panamorph UH480 Anamorphic lens
Front, centre and left speakers – B&W CT7.3
6 x Surround speakers – B&W CWM7.4
2 x Subwoofers – B&W CTSW15
Processor – Rotel RSP-1572
Amplifiers – Rotel RMB-1565; Rotel RMB-1575; B&W SA1000 (for subwoofers)
Blu Ray player - Oppo BDP-93EU
Apple TV4K

Because the cinema has two rows of 5 seats, I set it up so that each row has a middle speaker adjacent to it. Because a 9.2 format did not exist at the time of creating the system, the two middle speakers on each side share the same output from the processor.

The system has been absolutely amazing but I am now looking to upgrade to a Dolby Atmos/DTS-X setup. This means that I will swap out the Rotel RSP-1572 for the Marantz AV8805, the projector to a JVC DLA-NX7 and the Blu Ray player to a Panasonic DB-UB9000.

I will then add some B&W CCM663 ceiling speakers to handle the Dolby Atmos and an additional amp, either another RMB-1565 if I can source one or the new RMB-1555. That might be a better choice anyhow than buying an obsolete model.

My existing front, left and centre speakers are located behind my acoustically transparent screen. My question for you is this. Given my existing setup and the fact that I do not want to move my existing speakers around unnecessarily, am I better off going for a 9.2.4 setup or a 7.2.6 setup? Because I have the two rows of middle speakers, my initial thought is that the 9.2.4 setup makes more sense. However, when I look at the suggested positioning of the speakers for this setup, the left and right speakers should be further towards the corners of the room, and the front wide speakers should be placed forward of the listener. I do not want to relocate the existing left, right and centre speakers behind the screen, and I was planning on using the front row of the middle speakers to act as the front wide speakers. These are in line with the front seating row but of course would be in front of the rear seating row.

Additionally, I have read that the ceiling speakers should ideally be placed at two to three times the vertical height of the left and right surround speakers. Mine are already placed quite high on the walls so that will not be possible. I have attached a photo so you can see what I mean.

What are your thoughts? Will I even be able to get a decent Atmos setup without moving around the existing speakers? If this is the case, I would prefer not to do it at all.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 13.49.16.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 13.49.16.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 902
The setup looks awesome!

What do you mean by middle seakers? Are you refering to surrounds/side surrounds? Could you provide a 2d room layout with speaker positioning on it?

Atmos and speaker wise, the speaker seen on the left hand side is too high, it would need to be ear high. You coud still do atmost ceiling speakers, and calibrate things as things are but it would be a compromise. Every room has them though...

When I say middle speakers, I mean surround speakers that are placed in the middle of the sides of the cinema as opposed to the ones at the rear. I attach a schematic - apologies but technical drawing is not my strong point.

On your point about calibrating the side speakers appropriately to take account they are a bit on the high side, as long as that gave me decent sound I would do it. If it wouldn't, then I won't bother with it.

Thanks, Martin
~.png

I get you know!

For the side surrounds is there no chance of dropping them?

As for Atmos, I'm about to jump into the setup, but from what I've read, it's highly recommended once my room's one (about 2/3 weeks). But think you should take the jump if you can. With 2 set's of seats, it's probably harder positioning wise, but if I was you I would go down the route of 9.2.4 and have your surrounds as surrounds but being processed by their own terminal on the amp

I spoke with B&W's technical department. They also advised me to go with the 9.2.4 setup. As for speaker choice, they said the CCM682 would be best for the Atmos setup with their wide dispersion but that the CCM663 would also work well. Because I only have 135mm of clearance in the ceiling, my choice was to go with the CCM682 without a back box or the CCM663RD with a back box. I opted for the latter - again at the suggestion of B&W.

In respect of amp to power the four additional speakers, they have pointed me to the Rotel RMB-1504 amplifier so I am going to order that to sit alongside the RMB-1575 and RMB-1565 amps that I have already.

Merry Christmas to your cinema room!

When are you expecting your goodies?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom