Question A couple of questions

Rno7552

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum as my query concerns a number of devices but as the AVR is central to them all I thought I'd try this one.
Not able to post a signature just yet so here is my set up.

Sony KD55XD9305 connected by HDMI to Cambridge Audio CXR120.
Connected to the CXR by HDMI are
- SKY Q 2TB box with Netflix subscription
- Cambridge Audio 752BD Blu-ray used for SACD and Blu-ray playback and streaming FLAC copies of my CDs from Synology DS218+ NAS.
- Apple TV4K
- Amazon 4K Fire TV
All devices except the TV are connected by ethernet to BT Infinity Fibre to the property with download /upload speeds of 70MB/20MB.

So here are my questions:
1. From what I've read the CXR does not support HDR passthrough and I was wondering if I am likely to see any benefit from running an HDMI cable direct from the Apple TV to one of the TVs inputs for video and then using ARC HDMI back to the CXR for audio so I can watch Netflix HDR content.
2. As the TV has 4 HDMI inputs would a similar connection setup be worth it for the Fire TV and SKY box.
3. Assuming I implement either or both of the above am I likely to encounter any lip sync issues that I don't get at present. The reason I ask this is that a couple of years ago I routed my previous SKY HD box through the 752BD as my AVR at the time was an older Cambridge 651R and whilst the PQ was great there were some audio sync issues.

I appreciate from reading other forum posts that one reply may be "try it and see for yourself" but because of my borderline OCD about hiding cables if I were to go ahead with the above there would be enough mess and drilling to send my beloved over the edge!

Hoping someone could offer an opinion

Rob

First, I know nothing about an Apple TV. Apples are best left for making cider. So I'll leave that alone.

Your BD player has two HDMI out with one in. That will allow a video connection to your TV and an audio connection to the receiver. If any of your other 4K devices do not support HDR then still connect them to the receiver. Any HDR devices would have to be connected to the TV with the audio connection via ARC. Because your receiver is non eARC then any audio passed back to it will be in SD 5.1 max. Trying the different devices into the BD player and see if there are any lip sync issues, Sky can sometimes be poor.

Your going to have to have a lot of wires going to the TV. The other option is to get a new receiver that has 4K capabilities. With the various upgrades coming to 4K you're going to have to bit the bullet at some point. Personally I would be disappointed at the loss of audio quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom