A Guide to Dolby Atmos in the Home - article discussion

I went with just a pair of front height minx min12. While the result is in no way like properly positioned 4 x ceiling speakers with good dispersion it is certainly enough to usefully localize things like a helicopter or jet passing overhead and get a sense of being below or inside more atmospheric sounds as appropriate and for ambience to be above as well as all round. Also if you AVR has decent DSP effects that can use the extra speakers to add ambience to 5.1 material, then that can be nice as well.

I do find the minx to be a little more directional than I had expected, but with the wall mounts you do get quite a bit of freedom of angle on them - could even direct them up a bit if you really want to get more dispersion.

I agree, I added a pair of Kef R50's to provide front presence, ran the YPAO on my Yamaha receiver to take angle into consideration and very impressed even with non Atmos material.
My centre speaker (and it may be all in my head) seems to have lifted too, seems more in height with my ears (and tv centre - so lip movement seems more natural).
Had my first Atmos in a bubble moment - loved it!

My centre speaker (and it may be all in my head) seems to have lifted too, seems more in height with my ears (and tv centre - so lip movement seems more natural).
Had my first Atmos in a bubble moment - loved it!

Have you by any chance engaged the DIALOGUE LIFT option in the OPTIONS settings? This setting uses the front presence speakers in combination with the centre speaker to raise the point at which the centre channel is located and emnating for. It is a feature that is best used with large PJ screens where the centre speaker may have to be placed beneath it and its output may as a result become disassociated with the screen.

snapshot001-jpg.984550

Have you by any chance engaged the DIALOGUE LIFT option in the OPTIONS settings? This setting uses the front presence speakers in combination with the centre speaker to raise the point at which the centre channel is located and emnating for. It is a feature that is best used with large PJ screens where the centre speaker may have to be placed beneath it and its output may as a result become disassociated with the screen.

snapshot001-jpg.984550
I didnt although I didnt read up on what it did (went in blind last night to rerun a config with the new presence speakers).
I assumed it was some sort of filter to make dialogue more clear, a lift in clarity v a lift in height - pretty cool - cheers for posting pic.
YPAO must adjust this, it definitely sounded like speech was coming from the tv centre v the centre speaker just below.
If its all in my head (need more testing) I'll know now what to adjust :smashin:
I've never heard Atmos before, but I really liked the sensation and thats just 2 upfiring speakers, the full 4 in-ceiling must be a treat!

Last edited:
I've just upgraded my receiver and bought some atmos speakers to give it a try. I was hoping to use netflix for content but have since found out that only certain LG tvs and the xbox will support atmos at the minute.
I've upgraded to a 2tb skybox but have to wait a couple of weeks for install and the ps4 pro does not support UHD blue rays. I'm reluctant to spend another couple of hundred pounds on a blu ray player at the minute and was wondering if anybody knew of any decent donwloadable atmos content so I can give it whirl?

Thanks

I've just upgraded my receiver and bought some atmos speakers to give it a try. I was hoping to use netflix for content but have since found out that only certain LG tvs and the xbox will support atmos at the minute.
I've upgraded to a 2tb skybox but have to wait a couple of weeks for install and the ps4 pro does not support UHD blue rays. I'm reluctant to spend another couple of hundred pounds on a blu ray player at the minute and was wondering if anybody knew of any decent donwloadable atmos content so I can give it whirl?

Thanks
http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

Enjoy

Amazing, cheers mate!

Can’t even hear mine and they are set 8db above all be other speakers. They’re deffo on and the amp is displaying Atmos. They’re 1.5m apart from each other and 3m away from where I am sat

Can’t even hear mine and they are set 8db above all be other speakers. They’re deffo on and the amp is displaying Atmos. They’re 1.5m apart from each other and 3m away from where I am sat

They’re not something that you should constantly hear a lot of the time. I found it surprising how much they add when I disabled them. Maybe you need to play about with the angle based on were you sit.

Hi Guys,

Doing an upgrade of my kit- 4K projector,Screen etc and need some help with a potential 5.1.4 Atmos Setup

I have inlcuded a picture of my current setup. I have B&W CM7 fronts and CM center channel, and currently using some Monitor Audio Raduis 90's for rear (I intend to change this depending on what route I take for my rear Atmos setup). So a classic 5.1 system ( using a B&W PV1 sub)

As you can see, I am really tight for space on the rear channels. I can move the sofa maybe 2 or 3 feet forward but not a lot more. I also intend to get a 92" fixed projector screen so I wouldn't want to move super close.

Considering the above, I am worried if I use up-firing speakers for the rears , I would not have enough space behind the sofa to correctly align the rear speakers for Atmos duty. This got me thinking if I could use a combination of up-firing speaker modules for my fronts ( looking at Elac or Kef Modules ) and something like the SVS Prime Elevation or Dali Alteco C-1 as rear elevation to mimic in-ceiling Atmos speakers. The rear elevation speakers would be mounted right up where ceiling meets wall ( ceiling is approx 7.7Ft tall) .

Would this system work? Or do you think I would be able to incorporate up-firing modules or something like the Pioneer Bookshelf speakers with in-built Atmos speaker ( by Andrew Jones) into my setup ?

Looking forward to any helpful comments

Attachments

• Living room.jpg
    Living room.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 205
Hi Guys,

Doing an upgrade of my kit- 4K projector,Screen etc and need some help with a potential 5.1.4 Atmos Setup

I have inlcuded a picture of my current setup. I have B&W CM7 fronts and CM center channel, and currently using some Monitor Audio Raduis 90's for rear (I intend to change this depending on what route I take for my rear Atmos setup). So a classic 5.1 system ( using a B&W PV1 sub)

As you can see, I am really tight for space on the rear channels. I can move the sofa maybe 2 or 3 feet forward but not a lot more. I also intend to get a 92" fixed projector screen so I wouldn't want to move super close.

Considering the above, I am worried if I use up-firing speakers for the rears , I would not have enough space behind the sofa to correctly align the rear speakers for Atmos duty. This got me thinking if I could use a combination of up-firing speaker modules for my fronts ( looking at Elac or Kef Modules ) and something like the SVS Prime Elevation or Dali Alteco C-1 as rear elevation to mimic in-ceiling Atmos speakers. The rear elevation speakers would be mounted right up where ceiling meets wall ( ceiling is approx 7.7Ft tall) .

Would this system work? Or do you think I would be able to incorporate up-firing modules or something like the Pioneer Bookshelf speakers with in-built Atmos speaker ( by Andrew Jones) into my setup ?

You've not the space to fascilitate a 5.1.4 setup. 2 of the Atmos speakers would need to be behind you and even if utilising height speakers as opposed to ceiling speakers then you'd not really be sat forward enough to benefit from the effect. You best option given the space available to you is a 5.1.2 setup with the 5.1 base layer as it is and 2 ceiling speakers slighty forward of your seating.

Thanks for the input . But I'm thinking if, I have space for a 5.1 setup, cant I stretch to a 5.1.4 with two back up-firing atmos modules on my surrounds?

Also you said my best option would be to use 2 ceiling speakers forward of my sitting area. However I dont have the option to go with ceiling speakers. Would up-firing modules work ?

For info, my lounge area is 3.3m wide.

Cheers

You've not the space to fascilitate a 5.1.4 setup. 2 of the Atmos speakers would need to be behind you and even if utilising height speakers as opposed to ceiling speakers then you'd not really be sat forward enough to benefit from the effect. You best option given the space available to you is a 5.1.2 setup with the 5.1 base layer as it is and 2 ceiling speakers slighty forward of your seating.

Thanks for the input . But I'm thinking if, I have space for a 5.1 setup, cant I stretch to a 5.1.4 with two back up-firing atmos modules on my surrounds?

Makes no odds that you'd be using upfiring speakers, you'd still not have the space needed to portray the audio as intended. The rear speakers would be bouncing the audio into the centre of the room, probably in front of where the front Atmos speakers are bouncing their audio down towards you. You need more free space behind you in order to allow the rear Atmos speakers to both portray their output behind you and for them to avoid the rear wall acting as a sounding board. The surrounds are already in a compromised location without adding more speakers that aren't doing what would be ordinarilly required of them. More isn't better unless you've the space to portray the effect of having those speakers. The rear Atmos speakers will not be portraying their output in a location condusive with their intended purpose.

Thanks Buddy. Shame i cant make a 5.1.4 system work, but i did suspect with would be a tight squeeze :(

Makes no odds that you'd be using upfiring speakers, you'd still not have the space needed to portray the audio as intended. The rear speakers would be bouncing the audio into the centre of the room, probably in front of where the front Atmos speakers are bouncing their audio down towards you. You need more free space behind you in order to allow the rear Atmos speakers to both portray their output behind you and for them to avoid the rear wall acting as a sounding board. The surrounds are already in a compromised location without adding more speakers that aren't doing what would be ordinarilly required of them. More isn't better unless you've the space to portray the effect of having those speakers. The rear Atmos speakers will not be portraying their output in a location condusive with their intended purpose.

Need a little advice from you good folk :)

Just upgraded my old Onkyo to a Denon AVSX2400 and looking at options for Atmos set up.

Ceiling speakers are a no-no and placing up-firing modules on the front speakers are not possible (the speakers are recessed in a false wall so there is no-where they can sit).

I read that a 5.1.2 set up using up-firing modules can only be done on the front speakers.

However, when I looked through the Denon 'Assign Mode' options there was a 'Surround Dolby' where the up-firing modules were placed on the REAR speakers only.

upload_2018-3-12_1-38-46.png

Is this 5.1.2 set up possible? i.e. with the up-firing modules on the rears only?

Many thanks if you can advise.
Albert

Last edited:

Just upgraded my old Onkyo to a Denon AVSX2400 and looking at options for Atmos set up.

Ceiling speakers are a no-no and placing up-firing modules on the front speakers are not possible (the speakers are recessed in a false wall so there is no-where they can sit).

I read that a 5.1.2 set up using up-firing modules can only be done on the front speakers.

However, when I looked through the Denon 'Assign Mode' options there was a 'Surround Dolby' where the up-firing modules were placed on the REAR speakers only.

View attachment 990715

Is this 5.1.2 set up possible? i.e. with the up-firing modules on the rears only?

Albert

Denon receivers do offer the option you mention, but this configuration is not in alignment with Dolby's own guidance on speaker locations and placement for Atmos speakers. Dolby say that the speakers should be at the front of the room in a 5.1.2 or a 7.1.2 setup.

Dolby Atmos enabled speaker positioning

We recommend installing four Dolby Atmos enabled speakers whenever possible. The use of four speakers will make the placement of overhead sounds more accurate, and you’ll get more precise, realistic sounds when an object, such as a helicopter, passes overhead. Two of the Dolby Atmos enabled speakers (whether they are integrated speakers or add-on modules) should be placed in the left front and right front speaker locations of your system. The other two should be positioned ideally in the rear surround speaker locations or alternatively in the surround sound speaker locations.

If you are using only two Dolby Atmos enabled speakers, place them at the left front and right front speaker locations.

I'd suggest Dolby's own guidelines more accuarate than the option DEnon propose. I ask DEnon what is actually being done in terms of processing if you have a setup that only utilises Atmos speakers at the rear of the roo. Do Denon apply proprietary processing to account for the absence of front Atmos speakers?

View attachment 990715

Albert

There are a few of us here who are using Cambridge audio minx min 12 (or 22) as front height speaker for a 5.1.2 setup.

Before mounting in my case I did try some hacks with them with some temporary DIY up-firing enclosures made from wood and acoustic foam to get a sense of how up-firing might work but wasn't impressed - mounting at front as high as possible seemed the best (I'm sure proper up-firing speakers would have been better). The downside of course is they cannot position a sound directly overhead due to being at the front, however they are fine for increasing the height of ambience and your AVR will do a decent job of managing moving point sounds.

Also being very small they are unobtrusive especially in white - I had had them up for three days before my wife noticed only after I told her :)

Wicks also have suitable tiny cable conduits to hide the cables, including a self adhesive surface variant.

Last edited:
I have been doing some research and saw a few setup where Kef T101 speakers have been employed as "on ceiling " speakers as opposed to in-ceiling for atmos duty .

I was wondering if I got hold of 2 pairs of the Kef T101's , push the sofa a bit forward, and installed one pair of the T101 speakers on the ceiling just behind the MLP, and another pair a bit forward/close to middle of the room for a 5.1.4 setup.

Would this give better results than just a pair of up firing modules on the front floorstanders?

Hi Guys,

I have been doing some research and saw a few setup where Kef T101 speakers have been employed as "on ceiling " speakers as opposed to in-ceiling for atmos duty .

I was wondering if I got hold of 2 pairs of the Kef T101's , push the sofa a bit forward, and installed one pair of the T101 speakers on the ceiling just behind the MLP, and another pair a bit forward/close to middle of the room for a 5.1.4 setup.

Would this give better results than just a pair of up firing modules on the front floorstanders?
I imagine it would do, and have seen a few positive comments from people that have done just that.

My current living arrangements don't allow for ceiling speakers as I don't have a ceiling:D...I have open plan space which means I have something like 6 meters till I reach the ceiling and that's pitched...I know I can get up firing speakers but how will I benefit if the sound cant bounce off anything?

My current living arrangements don't allow for ceiling speakers as I don't have a ceiling:D...I have open plan space which means I have something like 6 meters till I reach the ceiling and that's pitched...I know I can get up firing speakers but how will I benefit if the sound cant bounce off anything?
Upfirers with what you have described will not work. Save your money.

Hi all. Stupid question, but that's what I'm best at! I'm sure this has probably been covered, but I don't have the time to read through 75 pages at the moment. I just need to know if the four ceiling speakers I'm probably having installed soon, will move sound (objects!) around and to each other, or is there just a left-right effect with Atmos and not a front-to-back one as well? Many thanks.

Hi all. Stupid question, but that's what I'm best at! I'm sure this has probably been covered, but I don't have the time to read through 75 pages at the moment. I just need to know if the four ceiling speakers I'm probably having installed soon, will move sound (objects!) around and to each other, or is there just a left-right effect with Atmos and not a front-to-back one as well? Many thanks.
Yes, objects move anywhere in the 3D space, that's the whole point

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom