A little help needed with TV as a PC monitor

esa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have found partially answers to my problem but there are still some parts i don't fully understand. But let's start from the beginning...

I'm using Samsung Q70R (65") as a PC monitor. The main problem is judder. I have tried many different settings I have found all over the Net but I haven't yet solved the problem. Only one setting seems to give a little smoother result than any other: 4k + 50 hz. 2560x1440 + 50 hz = judder

When I watch videos on the TV's preinstalled Youtube app, the videos run perfectly smooth but the same videos on the PC is a complete judder mess. Also videos on Potplayer and VLC player produce judder all the time despite all the settings and finetunings.

4k and 2560x1440 tested
24 hz -> 120 hz tested
TV settings are checked and confirmed
nVidia settings: various combinations tested. The driver is the latest version.
HDMI ports tested + two other HDMI cables tested
Graphics card tested and confirmed to work as expected (RTX 2080)
PC's software is uptodate and finetuned
Several browsers, extensions, safemode etc. and videoplayers tested

Is there anything I can still try... or are my eyes just faulty???

Rtings mentioned in their review there was a problem with PC mode on the Q70 and it would skip frames, it was supposedly fixed in a firmware update. Is the TV up to date firmware wise ?

As an experiment try this
* Switch the TV to game or cinema mode & disable the PC mode.
* Go into the NV resolution section and under color settings change the output from 8-bit RGB to 8-bit YCC 444.
* Select 4K 60hz as output resolution.

See if that behaves any differently.

madvr support motion interpolation, it can be used with potplayer, maybe worth a try too.

Thanks for the reply.

- The firmware is the latest available, 1356
- YcBcR444 is selected in the nVidia CP
- MadVR is in use with the recommended settings

I didn't find a way to actually 'disable' the PC mode but I changed the Device type from PC to Home Theater. Did you mean that? It anyway changed quite much the picture quality. It's now much sharper and brighter. Now even 720p videos on Potplayer are looking more detailed. Earlier the picture quality was quite blurry. However there's a little setback at 4K/60hz. Screen tearing starts, which is why I have used 2560x1440/120hz. Vsync doesn't help. I noticed that now Vsync actully do remove the screen tearing so I have to use it with Potplayer and Browser (Edge Chromium). Unfortunatelly juddering still persists.

Edit2: I also noticed that now at 2560x1440 the motion in movies is quite.. edgy, shaky, what ever is the correct term... so is this that the 'frame skipping' issue?

Edit3: New issues at 4K resolution. When any video is running on a Browser or movie player I noticed quite a big mouse lag and jerky mouse movements, and also dock animations (auto hide) are jerky. When I pause the video everything returns to normal within around 10 seconds. Any idea what is causing that? The TV or my PC?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom