Ace Combat 7 VR

Thanks, I’ll hold off. Do love a flight sim, but if the 2D is third person with no option for cockpit view, that’s a killer for me.

Ooo, tough to answer that, as the VR missions are an incredible experience but as there are only 3 missions, I am not sure if that alone is worth £20. I would suggest get borderlands 2 or another full vr game for that money.

The 2d game had a horrible gameplay for me, especially hated it being a third person. perspective so at £50 it was cerrainly not a keeper and I traded it after finishing the VR part (I always buy new high price games on disk in case its not a keeper). At £20 I personally still wouldn't make it a keeper but at £15 max, I probably would.
It has a cockpit view in the normal none VR mode.

Maybe I’ll grab it after all then, I’ll check a few YouTube vids and see.

Mrs got me this for crimbo :smashin: only done the first two (non-VR) missions, as thought best to know how the game works before going full-vom.

Can confirm non-VR has cockpit modes. One is a HUD only, like bumper cam in a racing game kinda; the other has just the central panel (without looking about), like bonnet cam.

It has a cockpit view in the normal none VR mode.

Oh did it, sorry for that, my memory is bad but there was something very different about controlling the plane compared to the vr mode and it wasn't gelling with me. I think also not being able to turn head and look to the sides etc was restrictive. Perhaps the vr mode was too good and spoiled the non vr mode for me!

... but there was something very different about controlling the plane compared to the vr mode and it wasn't gelling with me.
VR mode forces "expert" controls (proper pitch+roll movement), while the default "standard" is a more FPS type control. TBH I preferred standard to use the MGs, as it seems stupid tricky to line up shots with the wobbling reticule (and I have played a lot of Elite Dangerous which is pitch+roll), whereas I'd thought it should have auto-tracking to some point: like i'm sure the A10's cannons have gimballed guns which track.

Well I've finished the game on Normal and done the 3 VR missions. The SP story is odd, still not sure who everyone is, and the plot-armour at times is annoying.
Not sure if the AI actually cheats, at times it feels they move way too fast (climbing/diving/flipping).

The missions have too many timed and score-related ones, at least if they related it too fuel left or needing an amount of damage done, but values change and time limits seem arbitrary just to make it harder.
Then you get the mixed ground attack and air-to-air, and first run you may pick the wrong loadout for plot-twist bad intel.
Ditto the environmental hazards feel very gamey.

Saying all that I did mostly enjoy things. The sense of flying is cool, different planes and loadouts, the PSVR missions are super immersive, and looks fantastic: really hope PS5 gets a full game!

Not sure I want to try for the platinum, 3 full playthroughs on remaining difficulties... ugh... but no regrets buying it / crimbo pressie.

Perhaps the vr mode was too good and spoiled the non vr mode for me!
That happens a lot with PSVR :smashin:

Last edited:
Sounds decent, but I’ll probably wait for a further price drop.

...and my first go in VR :smashin:

EDIT: it does feel amazing in VR, which the flat videos do not convey.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom