Acer ConceptD CP7271K 4K HDR Monitor Review & Comments

For 2K not only do you want all the bells and whistles internally but you also want it to look like 2K sitting on your table, that thing is hideous tbh

For our monitor calibrations we use SpectraCal software and a C3 Colorimeter.

Out of the box using the Standard display preset it wasn't as finely tuned as we had expected, with a ColorChecker error of 3.96 and Greyscale error of 6.28. A level of less than 3 is normally the target.

It's a shame you didn't have a better meter to hand. The C3 is pretty ancient, wasn't brilliant when new, and will likely have drifted, plus it doesn't have any appropriate spectral corrections for the technology. There's at least an odds-on chance you've just adjusted the monitor to the meter's error.

If you still have access to the monitor and a spectrophoto/radiometer you should be able to see the scale of any meter error for this purpose.

At least it looks like it has some pretty good controls.

The ugly tree didn't just hit that thing, it must have fallen on it too

The ugly tree didn't just hit that thing, it must have fallen on it too
They should call it "The McGyver Edition", because it looks like someone grabbed a Pole, a Base, & a Monitor that were lying around & stuck them together

The stand doesn't bother me so much as I'd want to replace it with an arm, but I could do with the hood being a lot deeper for it to be effective for its intended purpose.

It's a shame you didn't have a better meter to hand. The C3 is pretty ancient, wasn't brilliant when new, and will likely have drifted, plus it doesn't have any appropriate spectral corrections for the technology. There's at least an odds-on chance you've just adjusted the monitor to the meter's error.

If you still have access to the monitor and a spectrophoto/radiometer you should be able to see the scale of any meter error for this purpose.

At least it looks like it has some pretty good controls.

Thanks, yes I'm with you on that. Hopefully I will have a newer one coming soon for future reviews, but sadly I can't do anything about this one.

Regarding the looks, when it is on the desk it looks pretty good. The hood makes it look worse on the picture. The wood on the stand works well.

What number is contrast and black level?...

These FALD monitors are such a joke when it comes to price, like seriously worse PQ than the Samsung FALD QLEDs, significantly smaller and yet in the same price range?!

At the absolute most it should only be £750 not £2000, 21:9 FALD £1000 max, it’s not even like there is any serious R&D going into these seeing as they are all buying in the same panels and slapping on the same ridiculous price.

Anyway ranting over, guess I’ll be waiting a long long time for a FALD monitor at a reasonable price.

All could change with mini led or one day micro led,that will be revolution for monitors.

Imagine watching The Meg UHD from 1.5-2 ft. That's a bit too much and not good for the eyes lol.
I am using a 32 inch Benq 4K HDR monitor that is sadly not a light cannon but its okay for office working and casual HDR viewing.

All could change with mini led or one day micro led,that will be revolution for monitors.

hoping we are still alive until that happens...:)

I'm not sure about this one but a lot of these expensive 27" models have 384 dimming zones, which means they're the same size as putting 1,536 on a 55" TV or 2,940 on an 75" TV.

Basically high end HDR monitors have been using Mini LED backlights for a couple of years now.

Why on earth would anyone pay two grand for this? Its ludicrous. I know folks might actually want a monitor but that money also buys an awesome TV that's far better vfm. It's just insane. Oh, and it's Fugly too.

I'm not sure about this one but a lot of these expensive 27" models have 384 dimming zones, which means they're the same size as putting 1,536 on a 55" TV or 2,940 on an 75" TV.

Basically high end HDR monitors have been using Mini LED backlights for a couple of years now.
I mean that’s really not how it works, 384 zones for ~8.3million pixels is the same amount whether the screen is 27” or 85”.

I have an Asus PG35VQ, which is in many ways similar to this (1000nits, FALD, GSYNC Ultimate), but lower resolution (1440p) and different dimensions (35" Ultrawide). It's also stupidly expensive.

It's a pretty great gaming display, but the limitations of FALD (512 zones on my screen) are not hard to see, and colour accuracy isn't up to much. It's incredibly thick as well, and it has a fan (which fortunately isn't audible most of the time), plus it absolutely guzzles electricity. Compared to my OLED it isn't in the same league, except when it comes to frame rate. My OLED is limited to 60fps, but my monitor can go all the way up to 200fps.

The sooner PC displays can move to MicroLED the better.

PC displays moving on to micro LED. :rotfl: :rotfl:
Mini LED monitors have a horrendous price and you want micro LED.
Dream on. Affordable Micro LED is at least 10 years away.

I mean that’s really not how it works, 384 zones for ~8.3million pixels is the same amount whether the screen is 27” or 85”.

From an image quality perspective yes, but not from a manufacturing and cost perspective.

I’ve always been one that finds function much more important than form, and have looked past ugly components in the past, if they perform well. However, that thing is absolutely hideous, and I’m not sure even I could get over how badly designed its aesthetics are.

It's nice to see more HDR monitors coming on to the market. This one is certainly bright at 1000 cd/m2 (NITS), but it's also very expensive.

It would be good to see reviews for some of the more affordable HDR models such as the 27" HP OMEN HDR QHD 240Hz Gaming Monitor with 1ms Response time (although this is only 1440p, not 2160p) and only has a maximum brightness of 400 cd/m2 (NITS).

Or even the very inexpensive (£349.99) HP Pavilion 27" Quantum Dot HDR display (again 1440p and 400 cd/m2). Many of the cheaper models still boast high-end features, but they can't match the peak brightness...

Samsung, Asus and DELL all now have models featuring 600 cd/m2 (NITS), so I expect HP to follow soon. I think HDR 600 could well establish itself as the ideal product category when you consider both price and performance. I think next year may well be the year for HDR monitors... The HDR monitor market is still in it's infancy.

True monitors (as opposed to TVs) have the advantage of featuring DisplayPort in addition to HDMI.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
I think HDR 600 could well establish itself as the ideal product category

Those VESA certifications are laughably bad. They even specifically say the black level doesn't have to follow what's actually specified in the picture data when doing the test patterns for peak brightness.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom