Acoustic Energy AE100 Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

You can get a lot of great affordable stuff nowadays. My ae 301's were great for the money. But a little bright. These 100's seem a lot more forgiving because of the paper cone. Should be great with budget gear.

I had the original AE100s and AE109s. It sounds as though refreshed model is a step up in design and ability. Before moving on to PMC, I had a brief encounter (read maybe 6 months) with the Radiance 3s and a matching centre and for my room at the time, it was a backward step!

If the 109s still have the punchy low end that the originals did, and you're on the lookout for something like a AE109/AE100 HC combo, go have a listen. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!

January 2022 they say they will release the new AE100

Anyone looking for to grad a bargain of the latest Acoustic Energy AE100 version, we have limited stock available at a bargain price point in both Black and Walnut. We know these speakers are very well received by all who own them and the same is said with those who have been fortunate enough to have heard them, so if you're looking for a hugly accomlished bookshelf speaker, you really must have these little gems on your radar.

Last edited:
Long shot here, but anyone use these with a Denon PMA-250SE amp? (I know... It's ancient but it works well...)

Current speakers (Tannoy Mercury M1) on their way out and looking for compact, inexpensive replacements roughly the same size.

Use is near-field on a desk, so the Q Acoustics 3020i at 28cm (approx) depth wouldn't be ideal.

Thinking these Acoustic Energy, possibly Dali Spektor 2 or Monitor Audio Bronze 50 (least likely, again due to depth of cabinet).

Q Acoustics 3010i are possible, though again depth is off-putting as they'd need to be pressed against the wall in order not to lose too much space.

Unfortunately it's somewhat of a blind buy as I can't find somewhere local that offers all my choices to audition.

Last edited:
Long shot here, but anyone use these with a Denon PMA-250SE amp? (I know... It's ancient but it works well...)

Current speakers (Tannoy Mercury M1) on their way out and looking for compact, inexpensive replacements roughly the same size.

Use is near-field on a desk, so the Q Acoustics 3020i at 28cm (approx) depth wouldn't be ideal.

Thinking these Acoustic Energy, possibly Dali Spektor 2 or Monitor Audio Bronze 50 (least likely, again due to depth of cabinet).

Q Acoustics 3010i are possible, though again depth is off-putting as they'd need to be pressed against the wall in order not to lose too much space.

Unfortunately it's somewhat of a blind buy as I can't find somewhere local that offers all my choices to audition.

Go for studio monitors. I'm using regular Hifi speakers as desktop speakers, but if I had choice I'd have gone for ones that are designed for near field.

Go for studio monitors. I'm using regular Hifi speakers as desktop speakers, but if I had choice I'd have gone for ones that are designed for near field.
Thanks,

I did try some studio monitors (Presonus e5) but TBH they didn't really do it for me. Nothing 'wrong' with them, just didn't find the sound satisfying.

I've actually ordered the Dali Spektor 2. Got a pair open-box from AV.com at a really rather good price. It'll be interesting to compare them to the Mercury M1 and see what 25yrs progress has done. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom