Active HDMI Pros and Cons?

Impulse20110

Novice Member
I am setting up my first home theater and I want to get an audioquest cable. I'm running short carbon hdmi cables to my receiver for audio and video input and a 10 meter HDMI from the receiver to Epson 5050 for video only. I read that anything over 8 meters is recomended to use an "active" cable to boost the signal transmission. I need a 10 meter cable and can get a 10 meter "passive" carbon cable for almost the same price as a 10 meter "active" cinnamon cable. The Carbon cable is 2 tiers above in quality than the cinnamon according to audioquest and retail for almost double the $. However the cinnamon is "active" and the carbon is "passive"

razy60

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'The Carbon cable is 2 tiers above in quality than the cinnamon according to audioquest' - indeed once you create your own marketing 'tiers' it is simple enough to link the 'tiers' to a price range and create enough guff around the 'tiers' to 'warrant' the pricing :)

The issue with 'long' HDMI cables varies depending on the signal you wish to support - HD or 4K UHD.

No passive cable over 8m has managed to pass the official HDMI.org Certification process for High Speed, Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed, HDMI Cables Overview - HDMI

In practice you can often pass HD over a passive 10m cable - though will struggle with 4K UHD over an 8m version of the same passive cable.

Your options for 'active' cables are Active Copper, Activer Fibre or Hybrid Fibre (retains copper for the two way comms between the devices) - all of the options rely on your Source and Sink (Display) providing enough power to the active electronic or you have to ensure there is a backup option to add an external 5v power inserter into the system.

Our preference are the RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre cables - we have supplied these to many customers and they work very well.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom