Ad Astra 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Last edited:
Thanks Cas, caught this at the cinema and by and large really enjoyed it, a must own given your review so cheers.

Good review again Cas. I was thinking of this but there have been some poor reviews whilst others have said that this is the film the Interstellar should have been and I absolutely love that film.

Thanks for the review cas. It’s on the list! Looking forward to it even more with the av rating you have given it!

Thanks for the review Cas,

Another one for the collection!

Can't comment on the quality of the disk but I'd give the film a solid 8 rather than a 9. It's not often I say this but I think it could have benefited with actually being another 15-20 mins longer to allow the back story between him and his dad a more time to develop. Just felt there was more to tell about the relationship (or lack of) between the two.

G

thanks cas, 10 for picture and sound,ordered. :thumbsup:

Don’t know to get this on disc or digital on iTunes, £15 difference is pretty large.

Can't comment on the quality of the disk but I'd give the film a solid 8 rather than a 9. It's not often I say this but I think it could have benefited with actually being another 15-20 mins longer to allow the back story between him and his dad a more time to develop. Just felt there was more to tell about the relationship (or lack of) between the two.

G

Lucky I gave it a solid 8 too then ;)

Looks amazing but my word it’s boring!

Thanks for the review, Cas. I'd read a lot of unflattering things about this, but you've made me want to watch this a lot more than I did this morning! :D

Thanks for the review Cas.
Seen this in the cinema and thought it was really slow. Might give it another go when it's in the 2 for £30 but won't be paying full price.

I really didn’t like this film, it managed to be both pretentious and cheesy at the same time! The action scenes seemed to be bolted on, like they were part of reshoots? Very tedious film otherwise and after a long build up, it just sort of.....ends. Perhaps I just wasn’t in the right mood when I saw it at the cinema, but really didn’t enjoy it. Each to their own.

Yeh yeh ok ok.

;)

G

I do agree though. Either longer or shorter would have worked even better.

90 minutes of tension, Gravity style, with a few narrative Malickian musings in there (but none of the psych sessions and better pacing).

Or 2.5 hours of proper Apocalypse Now meets Solaris, with time to gestate, particularly wrt Jones.

Still, not a bad effort at delivering both. And I wish I'd ignored the comments that it was 'boring' and seen it on the Big Screen, it's right up my street and would have looked even more impressive.

Cas, just out of interest, do you mean the original Solaris, or the George Clooney remake?

Much as I like Tarkovsky, it’s Soderbergh/Clooney all the way for me, with Cliff Martinez’s score both haunting and sublime.

Don’t know to get this on disc or digital on iTunes, £15 difference is pretty large.

Personally I would go with iTunes. Yes, the Blu-ray may have slightly better picture quality (subjective) but with iTunes you get to play it on any Apple device, is easier to actually play and if it somehow comes out on something like 8k in 5 years you will likely get a free upgrade.

Personally I would go with iTunes. Yes, the Blu-ray may have slightly better picture quality (subjective) but with iTunes you get to play it on any Apple device, is easier to actually play and if it somehow comes out on something like 8k in 5 years you will likely get a free upgrade.
A 4K disc beats a Apple download all the way....well for serious home cinema peeps it does especially in the sound and picture clarity department

Last edited:
One for my disc collection defo. Big fan of the once "Pretty Boy of Hollywood" now and leaving Angelina is probably made him the actor he is today ever since Moneyball he cant do nowt wrong.Films like this deserve to be seen at their best and that's on a native 4k disc with a awesome Dolby Atmos soundtrack
On a side note l was going to buy this film on 4k HDR via the Apple TV app that l have on my tv last night,but instead l streamed IT Chapter 2....it looked very good but my god the sound was dreadful in comparison to anything on 4k disc but so glad l read this review a 4k bluray it is

Very split on this - I saw the original at a Cinema when I was about 20 - so not long after its release. This Cinema did a late night SciFi Movie every Friday, so we'd all go to the Pub, and arrive at the Cinema Suitably Happy. (Saw Silent Running there as well). So on the big screen, good (for the day) Sound System, with a Cinema full of fellow Sci Fi Nerds, it was really enthralling :)
So I have a real affection for the original
(That scene at the end where it's raining inside the house, not outside, knocked me sideways)
. Thinking on, it has a lot of similarity with some of the Expanse themes.
I also like the Clooney version, but I have to think of them as separate, not different iterations. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom