Question Advice - are my amp and speakers compatible? Yamaha HTR-2071 & Mission MV8

setspeed

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Yamaha YHT-1840 surround sound package. I've managed to damage one of the front speakers by letting party guests play music through it very loud, so I picked up a pair of Mission MV8 speakers really cheap.

I'm a total noob and would really appreciate some advice, please:

The amp YHT-1840 can drive speakers with impedance of 6,4 or 2 ohms. All the existing speakers (centre, rear, sub) have an impedance of 6 ohms. But the Mission speakers I've got have an impedance of 8 ohms. Presumably since the amp can handle impedance of 6/4/2 then it can drive speakers with an impedance of 8.

1. Is mixing speaker with different impedance safe, for the amp and/or the speakers?
2. Are there any settings I should be using to make it safe?
3. What is the effect on the sound/volume, of using speakers with different impedance in the same set-up? The higher impedance ones will receive less power from the amp, resulting in lower volume - correct? Is there a way for me to deal with this, as presumably it will be noticeable?
4. Are there any other issues with this set-up that I need to account for?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @setspeed

From a quick look I've just had you should be fine using those speakers with that receiver.

1. Mixing wildly different impedances may be an issue, more like 4ohms with 16ohms but you won't have any issue with 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers.

2. Not really. Some AVR's have a setting that you can select if you have 6ohm speakers. This actually just lowers the available power to the speakers though and it is widely regarded that you shouldn't use it even if you have lower impedance speakers. Just don't be too enthusiastic with the volume. If you hear any signs of distortion or the receiver starts cutting out / turning off then the volume needs to be lower!

3. Most AVR's have an auto-equalisation setup that will ensure that all the speakers play a consistent volume. For Yamaha it should be YPAO. It normally runs pink noise through all the speakers to get the volumes level. There may also be an option to do this manually in which case you would need some sort of SPL metre. Even an App for your phone would likely be serviceable.

4. Not really. If it has an auto-setup function you should definitely run that. Otherwise just try a few of the different options like the Yamaha DSP modes to see if you prefer the sound of the system using them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom