Advice for a budget receiver that has 360, ps3, and wdtv inputs and can decode DTS

rcourtman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been researching all over for a solution to this so I'll explain the best I can and hopefully get some opinions.

I got a 1080p monitor with only 1 hmdi but several (3) devices using this connection so swapping them round all the time is a nightmare. I also use the WD TV and needs an external device to decode the DTS sound that hundreds of my videos use. Therefore a receiver would be perfect so all I ask is if someone could give me some pointers to some real low budget device that can do this 100 - 200 pounds and I would be over the moon. I do have some 5.1 headphones that I would love to plug in to the receiver too.

Help is much appreciated.

Rich

Last edited:
Your budget is very low for a receiver with 3 HDMI inputs. Do you also want it to handle audio over HDMI? You might have to look at second hand, can't think of anything of the top of my head with 3 HDMI inputs at that price point.

The Denon 1509 might do what you want, but it's more than £200

Really? being a student I am just looking for low budget as I dont intend this to be used as a long term bit of equipment. At some pont I will get a real good receiver but for now I just need a temporary bit of kit.

Ive been loking at this onkyo but this was merely from a search on play.com.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/Product.html

As for HMDI audio, yes that would be a plus. If the sources pipe out hd audio over hdmi then I am sure my 5.1 headphone will pick this up.

The denon lacks alot of features that I am looking for. No SD upscale, 2 hdmi inputs not 3, and cant decode DTS bitstreams over hdmi which I think the ps3 outputs?

Last edited:
Well thats over your budget, it also doesn't do audio over HDMI.

Sorry I'm coming to this a bit late, but have you thought about an HDMI switching box, Keene have a 4-input box for £130.

Hey I settled on the Onkyo 576 in the end, managed to find it pretty cheap second hand with some jamo 5.1 so I got rid of the headphones and made the plunged. I've had no issues with any of the equipment and the sound is very very good for what I was expecting.

If anyone is looking to get the Onkyo 576 than I would recommend that you do not have anything directly above. It has damaged my Sata hard drive and caused the WD TV to play up for a while too because of the heat.

:eek:

Find a 2nd hand 605, 3 HDMI ins, will handle audio + video over HDMI plus can decode dolby tru, dts MA and the rest, problem is finding one around.

The cheapest new receiver you can hope to get that does all that you require (4 full HDMI audio and video inputs) is the Sony STRDH800. This would still be outside of your budget at £280. The STRDH800 isn't available in the UK yet, but should be here by the end of JUne. play.com are currently taking orders for it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom