Advice / ideas on potential garage to PJ room

Very similar layout to my once integral garage (one double width door) which I decided to leave as a garage. Previous owners had already converted to a playroom and had kept the door in place. For me it was a no brainer to stay with that decision as didn't want windows as it was always just going to be used as a dedicated room.

The other reason was that a dedicated outhouse would never have been used as much in our case as though I have plenty of space, its about 100m+ down the end of the garden which I know the family wouldn't do the trek in winter months (or this storm today!) so I'm saving that for a gym and games room one day.

I hope to be redoing my room this year and learning from mistakes, one of them, as someone else has already pointed out, is to stick an AC unit in their as it gets fart too uncomfortable on long hot summer viewings with the kit, bodies etc. in there.

The other is to pay a bit more attention to reflection points as @mb3195 has pointed out. In fact he had kindly invited me to his which I will be doing come spring.(thanks pal!) I totally overlooked this and although Dirac has really helped, I've got a chance to put this right so I will.

Whether you go integral or outbuild really depends on your lifestyle/usage needs but if you do go integral I'd personally keep the doors, wouldn't even bother changing then to rollover and leave that to any potential new buyer to deliberate over and spend the savings on kit or cost of conversion.

In fact I did read somewhere that along with loft conversions, a decent home cinema can add more value to a home than a garage can, especially if you already have ample offstreet parking which it appears you do have.

Either way, done correctly you won't regret it!

invite is still there mate, looking forward to having you over. Offer is there for OP if you also want any ideas, especially if an outbuilding is a potential option, I think if it is and you were to visit, it would probably convince you it’s the way to go, virtually no compromise when building from scratch.

Do you find as an outbuilding you don’t always use it as much as you could, say if it raining etc?
We're all different of course, but I'd use an integrated cinema room far more than one in an outbuilding. Sometimes you just decide to watch a movie, and some members of my family might not even be fully dressed (already in pjs, or never got dressed in the first place, as they were having a 'lazy day'. And regardless of state of dress, if you're into the evening and there's just about time to squeeze a movie in before bed, we wouldn't all want to get prepared for a walk in the rain to a room that we haven't heated up yet, also knowing there's the return journey at the end.

Of course sound insulation is more of an issue with an integrated room (depending on who's watching, and who in the house isn't), and some might like their 'trip to the cinema'. Each to their own, just work out which you'd prefer.

If it were mine, I would split the garage down the middle, keep the right hand side as a garage and do a proper room conversion on the left hand side with a door leading in from the hall. this will give you the best of both worlds, you gain a dedicated cinema room whilst maintaining a garage which is always a plus if and when you come to sell up. I appreciate that it is a much smaller room but it doesnt have to be compromised too much. I have converted a single garage (see signature) and we get 4 people in comfortably. I chose to go down the TV route rather than the PJ route as that suited my needs at the time but there is no reason why you cant have a decent size wall to wall AT screen and a PJ.

Thanks for the idea, there’s certainly food for thought there. I already have a PJ in the lounge and this little project is to remove it from the lounge so as my ongoing quest for better contrast and sound doesn’t interfere with the lounge. So idea is return the lounge to a lounge, just have a small TV and maybe AV sound if speakers discrete or maybe just a sound bar. Then make the current kids lounge, that is no more than a dumping room for toys make that into a snug with 65” OLED and 5.1.2. Then separate out the current PJ or maybe buy a better PJ to go into the garage conversion. In the lounge I currently have a 120” 16:9 tab tensioned React 3.0 electric screen that comes out the ceiling, but in the garage I want a fixed acoustic transparent normal gain screen but scope so 2.4:1 etc, which I think means if the same height as a 120” 16:9 will be 3.5-4m wide so will probably need the width of the full double garage.

Go BIG or go home! 😉

Personally I’d get the biggest screen I could get in there and immerse yourself!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom