Advice needed (new console and game player)

Tates

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for checking this post. I hope this is not in the wrong place and apologise if it is!

After 25-30 years of playing on a desktop pc and therefore, using a keyboard and mouse, I am now struggling massively. Why? Because my 2 sons play Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 on Xbox One and have encouraged me to try it out. I had hoped (being new to consoles and the game) that I could simply buy it for pc and join them that way.

Sadly, I see it is not cross platform, so here is my problem -

I purchased an Xbox One and the game mentioned above, so that I could play alongside my sons. As you can imagine, I am terrible at it. Being so used to a keyboard and mouse, I simply can not get used to the controller.

It is great playing BO3 with my sons and on voice coms, so we can have some banter and I love the game. I feel tho, that my noobiness at everything console and controller wise, is spoiling my fun and love of the game.
I appreciate time is the winner here, since the more I play, the better I should get. But my problems don't even give me time to improve, since everyone else seems to be very experienced and Boom! I'm dead, again! My problem is I'm used to my hands being apart and now they are right next to each other and I have massive hands (6ft 6 in height) me, not my hands :p

Moving in game is no problem haha but when it comes to aiming and accuracy, I'm like a looney tune on Acid, all over the place. The adrenaline kicks in and I also go into panic mode and end up shooting at the ground or the sky. If I do kill a players character, it was sheer dumb luck, trust me :p I've had an enemy in sight from distance and pulled the trigger, emptied a whole clip and missed, somehow!? erm hello wth just happened haha

I've ordered some Kontrol freek extenders, since I can't cope with the tiny sticks on the controller and hope this will, over time, give me better control of my aiming and accuracy. I see some suggestions saying tweak your sensitivity, but unsure on the ideal number. Is 5 or lower slow movement of the right stick or quicker aiming etc?

I've played many hours on Local, against AI bots, but think you'd agree, it does not matter how much you practice on bots, when it comes to online multiplay against real players, it's a whole new ball game. Sometimes I just can't believe how quick I get killed. See a bloke aim, but I'm already on the floor, dead. I watch players running around and as soon as they see an enemy, point, shoot and they're dead. Very quick aiming and kills and I need to get close to that at least haha.

My sons love hunting me down when it is vs me, but I need to take on board any and all advice to help me improve and stop being bullet fodder for them and everyone else :p and maybe, just maybe, I can surprise them and myself one day, by beating them and having more kills than deaths. Although I am new to consoles and the game, I have limped along to level 25 of my character, pinching the xp gained from team victories.

I thank you all for any comments, positive or negative :p By the way, I am only 48 years old, so doubt my reflexes have vanished so much, that it will always be this way lol.

Thanks again and Happy Gaming!

Things will obviously improve over time, but it's all about muscle memory. You simply aren't used to gaming on the pad for such games. I would suggest getting some SP shooters, maybe Halo, and just play more offline as opposed to online just until it becomes more second nature with a pad. Once that happens you should be more comfortable against others.

I don't play COD personally but as for dying so quick, do players get to upgrade their weapons with progression meaning others may have big advantages over you also... if so that could be another issue if you're just starting out from scratch.

Hi NemesisX2 and thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. A good alternative suggestion, thank you. Weapons can be upgraded somewhat, but the upgrades give only slight increases. Upgrades are different scopes, quicker reloading, suppressors etc... so I don't think that is a big issue, or at least I hope it isn't lol.
I did wonder why matches are not tiered, as I have seen level 365+ players when I was sub level 10 and like you, wondered if this was a fair match up.

I've also read up a fair bit on the game and it seems I need to try all classes and all weapons etc, in order to find a class/weapon I'm comfortable with, which also makes sense. Just hope someone else can guide me as to what sensitivity I should be playing at, to avoid shooting at the birds in the sky or the ground haha.

Have a good day bud. ty

Hi NemesisX2 and thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. A good alternative suggestion, thank you. Weapons can be upgraded somewhat, but the upgrades give only slight increases. Upgrades are different scopes, quicker reloading, suppressors etc... so I don't think that is a big issue, or at least I hope it isn't lol.
I did wonder why matches are not tiered, as I have seen level 365+ players when I was sub level 10 and like you, wondered if this was a fair match up.

I've also read up a fair bit on the game and it seems I need to try all classes and all weapons etc, in order to find a class/weapon I'm comfortable with, which also makes sense. Just hope someone else can guide me as to what sensitivity I should be playing at, to avoid shooting at the birds in the sky or the ground haha.

Have a good day bud. ty

Ref sensitivity, just change it down and test it, then up and test it. Once you have a feel for the differential, make a decision.

Good move getting Kontrol Freeks. I'm very used to the Xbox controller but it really helped me get more accurate. I agree the thumbsticks are tiny if you have big hands.

Cheers gr0uty :) I hadn't realised at the time I ordered my Kontrol Freeks, that it was from America lol. So having placed my order on the 10th March, I'm still waiting for them to arrive, but glad to read, they should help my aim and accuracy. :) Hopefully, they should arrive over the next few days and my game, fingers crossed, will improve haha.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom