Advice needed on Philips OLED 754, Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision.

hi robb

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I posted this in the Philips OLED forum but it’s pretty quiet in there so thought I’d try in here. I’ll also post in the ATV 4K forum in case someone in there has seen this issue.

Apologies for the long post.

Last December, I bought a Philips OLED 754 when the price dropped to under a grand. It has Philips own Saphi OS which has been a bit buggy, but by and by I’ve sorted the small issues out and the TV is perfectly usable. And generally the picture is good.

Except for Dolby Vision when using my Apple 4K (and HDR to a lesser extent)

If I have the Apple TV set to output DV, I get awful banding / moire at times in content. This happens on films I’ve bought from iTunes, I’ve seen it in Netflix and Disney Plus to. I also seen it on the ATV home screen.

Some further info.

1) It’s very noticeable in lighter colours such as smoke, steam, skies etc. My iTunes bought copy of Bladerunner 2049 when the spinner lands near the beginning looks awful.

2) I see it to a lesser extent in Netflix content and Disney plus. Interestingly the TV’s inbuilt Netflix shows no issues with the same content.

3) it’s not the HDMI cable. I’ve tried various cables and currently use a 48Gbps 2.1 cable!

4) it’s not my network, the ATV is hard wired to a 1Gb port on the ASUS GT-AX11000 router and t’internet is approx 70Mbps.

5) I see the same thing on the ATV desktop for example the colour gradients if I put a tune on and it just shows the little album cover surrounded by graduated colour.

6) The Apple TV was replaced about 6 weeks ago as it borfed after a firmware update so it’s brand new.

7) It’s not the lower bandwidth being served up by Apple etc due to Coronavirus. It was happening way before then.

8) I can see it to a much lesser degree if I set the ATV to HDR. But it’s nowhere near as bad. I don’t see it in SDR.

And this is where it gets interesting and I think is what the problem is!

A) If in the ATV settings, I’ve set Dolby Vision, if I look at the signal the TV is receiving, the info shows 8bit though the TV thinks it’s getting DV.

B) setting the ATV to HDR, with 4:2:2, the same info shows a 12 bit picture, HDR 4:2:0 shows a 10 bit picture. And SDR shows a 8bit pic. Which is what I’d expect. Obviously setting to HDR then shows HR10+ only.

I’ve reset the TV multiple times and it doesn’t matter what the ATV match frame rate / picture settings are set to either.

It’s driving me mad. Anyone any ideas?

Pics attached showing what I’m seeing.

Kind regards

Rob

Attachments

• 8FA305DC-854A-4414-9A0E-49E96AF047CE.jpeg
    8FA305DC-854A-4414-9A0E-49E96AF047CE.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 3204B6C9-07E7-4104-AD4A-1FD03F59C1F4.jpeg
    3204B6C9-07E7-4104-AD4A-1FD03F59C1F4.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 804
  • CF8A9D84-08D6-49A7-9B9F-991A7456AD25.jpeg
    CF8A9D84-08D6-49A7-9B9F-991A7456AD25.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 494
  • BF23E79E-3C12-4BD6-92A9-9EF6F8FEDCD6.jpeg
    BF23E79E-3C12-4BD6-92A9-9EF6F8FEDCD6.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 11BEC7F3-5F3E-4328-9798-A47C047CFB52.jpeg
    11BEC7F3-5F3E-4328-9798-A47C047CFB52.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 429
  • C9765988-DED0-4E14-A0EE-2314C1F70E14.jpeg
    C9765988-DED0-4E14-A0EE-2314C1F70E14.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 464
There are known issues with DV, its not a uniform system as claimed and has multiple versions, some based in hardware and other in software.

That could be the source of a potential bug if you really are only getting 8-bit video output from the DV signal the ATV is generating. As for a potential solution unfortunately I cannot think of one outright, DV typically does not have a on/off toggle.

How is your ATV configured ?, this is what I would suggest
Format = 4K SDR 60Hz (not 50hz which is what is in your pics)
HDMI Output = Ycbcr
Chroma = 444
Match Content = Range On, Frame rate = On

That should output DV only on DV sources at 24Hz, see if that makes any difference.

If it doesn't try work try disabling match frame rate so it outputs DV at 60hz.

Failing the above I would contact Philips support.

One other long shot would be the HD Fury Dr HDMI device, it has profiles built into it, ones for 4K HDR and 4K DV, if you select the 4K HDR profile the ATV should no longer detect DV and that might be a possible workaround.

@sue_hall Hi, I'm thinking of buying the 754, also planing to use it with my Apple TV 4K. Im a bit worried reading you experience with it, how is it going now? Does it work good or would you recommend me buying a different tv instead for example samsung q85 55" which I can get for the same price? Im no technical guru so if I have any problems I will have a hard time fixing it...

Thanks

@sue_hall Hi, I'm thinking of buying the 754, also planing to use it with my Apple TV 4K. Im a bit worried reading you experience with it, how is it going now? Does it work good or would you recommend me buying a different tv instead for example samsung q85 55" which I can get for the same price? Im no technical guru so if I have any problems I will have a hard time fixing it...

Thanks

Hello,

I can only go from my own experience.

It’s an OLED, so for the most part, the picture is beautiful. Inky blacks, crisp whites and colours. Because of that, it has a lovely pop to the picture. It upscales normal BBC etc really well. 4K looks lovely too.

The inbuilt TV apps like Netflix work well. Dolby Vision on shows and films which have it look fantastic There’s absolutely no banding issues here.

The TV’s sound is good, it does for day to day watching and is plenty loud enough. I do put the sound through my hifi amp via optical in to a DAC. I’ve never had any issues doing that. I’ve heard people on here say they have issues with ARC via HDMI in to sound bars etc. I’ve never tried that though.

the Ambilight works brilliantly. Though I knew it was good as I had a hue light strip round my old TV. It also syncs with other hue lights in the room if you have the hue bridge. That works well to.

I can’t complain in those respects.

The TV OS is a bit buggy. It can also be slightly laggy as in press to change channel and there can be a half second delay before the tv responds. But in fairness, it’s been much improved by firmware updates.

What is annoying is that the built in apps sometimes just don’t open. At the moment for example I cannot open BBC IPlayer. Then at some point it will just start working again.

Finally, the issue between the TV and APPLE TV 4K with Dolby Vision not working properly is bad. It means I have to watch in 4K non
HDR or DV. If I enable the ATV’s match frame rate it just goes back to DV for most viewing. So I have to turn HDR and DV full time hence I am not getting the best picture.

Rob

Hi folks,

I posted this in the Philips OLED forum but it’s pretty quiet in there so thought I’d try in here. I’ll also post in the ATV 4K forum in case someone in there has seen this issue.

Last December, I bought a Philips OLED 754 when the price dropped to under a grand. It has Philips own Saphi OS which has been a bit buggy, but by and by I’ve sorted the small issues out and the TV is perfectly usable. And generally the picture is good.

If I have the Apple TV set to output DV, I get awful banding / moire at times in content. This happens on films I’ve bought from iTunes, I’ve seen it in Netflix and Disney Plus to. I also seen it on the ATV home screen.

Some further info.

1) It’s very noticeable in lighter colours such as smoke, steam, skies etc. My iTunes bought copy of Bladerunner 2049 when the spinner lands near the beginning looks awful.

2) I see it to a lesser extent in Netflix content and Disney plus. Interestingly the TV’s inbuilt Netflix shows no issues with the same content.

3) it’s not the HDMI cable. I’ve tried various cables and currently use a 48Gbps 2.1 cable!

4) it’s not my network, the ATV is hard wired to a 1Gb port on the ASUS GT-AX11000 router and t’internet is approx 70Mbps.

5) I see the same thing on the ATV desktop for example the colour gradients if I put a tune on and it just shows the little album cover surrounded by graduated colour.

6) The Apple TV was replaced about 6 weeks ago as it borfed after a firmware update so it’s brand new.

7) It’s not the lower bandwidth being served up by Apple etc due to Coronavirus. It was happening way before then.

8) I can see it to a much lesser degree if I set the ATV to HDR. But it’s nowhere near as bad. I don’t see it in SDR.

A) If in the ATV settings, I’ve set Dolby Vision, if I look at the signal the TV is receiving, the info shows 8bit though the TV thinks it’s getting DV.

B) setting the ATV to HDR, with 4:2:2, the same info shows a 12 bit picture, HDR 4:2:0 shows a 10 bit picture. And SDR shows a 8bit pic. Which is what I’d expect. Obviously setting to HDR then shows HR10+ only.

I’ve reset the TV multiple times and it doesn’t matter what the ATV match frame rate / picture settings are set to either.

Kind regards

Rob
Hello Rob!
Sorry for my English:)
Maybe it will help you. Please check HDMI Ultra HD settings on TV (All settings - General settings - Input sourses - HDMI (port) - HDMI Ultra HD

Set it to "Optimal".

Hello Rob!
Sorry for my English:)
Maybe it will help you. Please check HDMI Ultra HD settings on TV (All settings - General settings - Input sourses - HDMI (port) - HDMI Ultra HD

Set it to "Optimal".

Hello, your English is fine. Unfortunately, I've already tried that :-(

Many thanks for the help though.

Kind regards

Rob.

Hi Rob, not sure if you saw my post in the 754 thread, but this definitely isn't just an ATV issue. It is the same with my Shield TV and a bit of googling revealed reports from other Philips TV owners (not just the 754) mentioning other Dolby Vision compatible devices being affected. Out of curiosity have you tried contacting Philips? Just wondering if they are responsive to reports of issues.

Hi. I have the same problem. My Philips 754 displays Dolby Vision in 8 bit with posterization with the Apple TV 4K. With my Xbox One S it displays Dolby Vision correctly, using the same input and HDMI cable. The fault seems to lie partially with apple and partially with Philips. I have even tried with the tvOS 14 beta and it didn't help.

Hi. I have the same problem. My Philips 754 displays Dolby Vision in 8 bit with posterization with the Apple TV 4K. With my Xbox One S it displays Dolby Vision correctly, using the same input and HDMI cable. The fault seems to lie partially with apple and partially with Philips. I have even tried with the tvOS 14 beta and it didn't help.

Hello, please log the ticket with Philips though I'm not sure it'll do you much good.

So far I've been bogged off. Amazingly they have said and I quote...

"The compatability of Dolby Vision can vary from brand to brand, so we can not guarentee that what you're try to achieve will be possible."

I'm only trying to achieve a decent picture without posteriaztion!

Contact Philips, tell them you're having the same issue as case / request number [01512903]. That's my case number. I'll be replying yet again this weekend to try and make them realise that there is obviously some kind of issue with Dolby Vision via HDMI.

I'd be really interested to see what someone is getting via a proper 4k Ultra HD Blu-Ray player and see if they get the same thing.

I'll also be pointing them in my next reply to this forum.

Is there Philips rep on this forum who can step in and help?

Rob

Hi Rob, not sure if you saw my post in the 754 thread, but this definitely isn't just an ATV issue. It is the same with my Shield TV and a bit of googling revealed reports from other Philips TV owners (not just the 754) mentioning other Dolby Vision compatible devices being affected. Out of curiosity have you tried contacting Philips? Just wondering if they are responsive to reports of issues.

Hello,

Please see my last post about contacting Philips, tell them it's the same as my case number.

D

This will probably never get fixed..
As far as Philips is concerned the problem is not with them since the TV can display DV correctly with other devices. As far as Apple is concerned the problem is not with them since the Apple TV 4K can display DV correctly with other TV brands. TV manufacturers are often also quick to drop interest in released products. Their main focus is probably in next years models. 90% is good enough, no point wasting time and resources on problems most costumers don't even notice. This can also be seen on the lack of response to other obvious problems like lip sync issues via HDMI ARC that some TVs have that never gets fixed.

I've just tripple checked everything again, using the same cheap no name HDMI cable into the same input on the TV. With the Xbox One S I get 4K SDR on the home screen, 4K Dolby Vision in the Netflix app and 4K HDR10 in a Forza Horizon 4. All without needing to restart or change anything. It just works and the Xbox One S seamlessly changes to the appropriate display mode. I also tried disabling Dolby Vision in the Xbox settings and started Netflix again. With Dolby Vision disabled the Xbox One S instead played Netflix in HDR10. Back to the Apple TV4K trying all HDMI cables I own I always get 8 bit posterization with Dolby Vision. I honestly don't know who to blame the most now. But I know that the Philips Oled 754 is at least capable of displaying Dolby Vision from HDMI without posterization, with the right source that is.

Hello,

Please see my last post about contacting Philips, tell them it's the same as my case number.

D

I reported the issue a while back Rob. I've also jumped onto a few other Philips OLED threads on here to mention the problem and it seems that other models also have the same issue. I've suggested that people start reporting it to Philips. Hopefully at the very least we can make ourselves annoying enough for them to start looking into it.

I've just tripple checked everything again, using the same cheap no name HDMI cable into the same input on the TV. With the Xbox One S I get 4K SDR on the home screen, 4K Dolby Vision in the Netflix app and 4K HDR10 in a Forza Horizon 4. All without needing to restart or change anything. It just works and the Xbox One S seamlessly changes to the appropriate display mode. I also tried disabling Dolby Vision in the Xbox settings and started Netflix again. With Dolby Vision disabled the Xbox One S instead played Netflix in HDR10. Back to the Apple TV4K trying all HDMI cables I own I always get 8 bit posterization with Dolby Vision. I honestly don't know who to blame the most now. But I know that the Philips Oled 754 is at least capable of displaying Dolby Vision from HDMI without posterization, with the right source that is.

Hi mate, you say you are getting Dolby vision on external devices playing Netflix, however you don't specifically confirm it is over 8bit. Does info actually say 12bit as it does when playing internally?

Hi mate, you say you are getting Dolby vision on external devices playing Netflix, however you don't specifically confirm it is over 8bit. Does info actually say 12bit as it does when playing internally?
Yes. With the Xbox One S I get 12 bit Dolby Vision in Netflix. I checked the info screen to confirm what was happening.
Homescreen:SDR
Netflix: Dolby Vision
Games: HDR10
Everyting works exactly as it should with the Xbox One S, but not with the Apple TV. I don’t have any other Dolby Vision devices to test, but so far it’s 50/50.

Yes. With the Xbox One S I get 12 bit Dolby Vision in Netflix. I checked the info screen to confirm what was happening.
Homescreen:SDR
Netflix: Dolby Vision
Games: HDR10
Everyting works exactly as it should with the Xbox One S, but not with the Apple TV. I don’t have any other Dolby Vision devices to test, but so far it’s 50/50.

Thanks mate, that's good to know as it appears the Xbox one S is the only external device I have heard of so far that is behaving correctly. I have a Shield TV which behaves the same as the ATV and I also read on another forum someone having issue with a UHD Bluray player not giving 12 bit DV. I plan to test a Firestick 4k soon and see how that behaves.

This could be useful info for the Philips tech team as it could enable them to troubleshoot the issue a little quicker... fingers crossed ;)

This is not getting fixed.

”Our internal apps work? Xbox works but Apple TV doesn’t? Clearly it’s the Apple TV then. Now drop it and get back to work.”

I hope I’m wrong.

Be aware that none of these device makers actually control the Dolby Vision stack, that is supplied by Dolby to them and there are multiple versions of DV.

So for a fix Philips has to acknowledge the problem then talk to Dolby who have to investigate it, then if Dolby come up with a fix it must supply the updated DV stack to Philips who then roll it into a new firmware update.

If your talking to Philips support inform them not all DV is equal and the ATV, Shield and Xbox all run different software versions of Dolby Vision. Hardware versions of DV are not used on those boxes.

Hi folks,

Some further info.

Kind regards

Rob

Hi Rob,
I've just purchased a Philips TV 43-PUS7805 and I've exactly the same issues as yourself, oddly enough last night I was testing different settings with Blade Runner 2 with the same scene Ha! coincidence?
The scene looks very ropey in terms of the gradient in the mist that's what struck me initially. The Music App with the swirling colours has the same issue all of which having the setting Dolby Vision engaged.
To get the menu looking as it is intended I followed this video...
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2Fhtd_1RSaf3A&data=02%7C01%7Cneal.banks%40siemens.com%7C36bae17d8cf34edd215508d839282d00%7C38ae3bcd95794fd4addab42e1495d55a%7C1%7C0%7C637322191995991792&sdata=v0BzOSrB3IPYwsWxJhR6DIIPjF98L1Sao9ravoMVbd4%3D&reserved=0
Basically setting to (4K SDR)
This does a great job and the Apple TV menus look as they are intended, but...
The Apple TV still sends the Dolby Vision signal to the TV when playing such films as Blade Runner 2.
I feel that I'd have to sacrafice the Dolby Vision setting on the Apple TV in order to correct the awful looking gradients in backgrounds, mist, sunsets etc.
This is my second Philips TV as the 1st was faulty, I'm reluctant to return this one as apart from that I love the TV.
I'll also be contacting Philips with the issue and will update the forum with any response, I shall also quote your reference number.
I can't help but think this is an Apple TV issue tho? If it does it on the menu screens with Dolby Vision activated then surely it would point to the Apple TV?
I'll also contact Apple and update with a response.
All in all I share your pain and frustration!

Hi @BanksE1 it's most definitely no justt an Apple TV issue, as the problem is identical on other DV capable devices such as the Shield TV and amazon firestick 4k, both of which I own and have tested.
I'm starting to believe the issue us to do with Philips implementation of Dolby Vision tunnelling over HDMI, which as I understand it, is supposed to allow the signal to be compressed over 8bit at the source device and then un-compressed in the TV. @rfmj mentioned he has no problems when using his Xbox one, however it appears Microsoft have used a different implementation of DV on their devices.

Hi @BanksE1 it's most definitely no justt an Apple TV issue, as the problem is identical on other DV capable devices such as the Shield TV and amazon firestick 4k, both of which I own and have tested.
I'm starting to believe the issue us to do with Philips implementation of Dolby Vision tunnelling over HDMI, which as I understand it, is supposed to allow the signal to be compressed over 8bit at the source device and then un-compressed in the TV. @rfmj mentioned he has no problems when using his Xbox one, however it appears Microsoft have used a different implementation of DV on their devices.
Hi @CraftyClown @sue_hall (Rob)
Thanks all for your input in this annoying issue having to essentially downgrade the Apple TV to 4kSDR.
I just wanted to update you all on the progress so far with Philips, I spoke to two technicians the 1st suggested trying all the HDMI ports doing a hard reset on each after. As i thought this made no difference, so when I rang again later on I spoke to another, he said that he's unaware of this fault? I mentioned this forum amongst others with people having the same issue's and obviously the complaint from @sue_hall (Rob) whom made the original post. The technician assured me that he will be contacting his product specialist with this issue and will be contacting me within the next 48hrs. I'm not going to hold my breath but rest assured I'm not fobbed off easily.
Today I'll be contacting Apple TV to make them aware of the issue. I shall keep updating this with whatever I receive from Philips and Apple.
I'm sure Philips must be aware of the issue unless they are playing it down?
In the mean time the best settings I can on the Apple TV 4K with my Philips TV is...

4K SDR
YCbCr
4:4:4
Match Content; Frame Rate only.

Thanks all watch this space for an update.

I've spoke with an Apple technician, It didn't take him long to find out that there have been numerous reports on the issue of Dolby Vision with Apple TV's 4K connected to the Philips TV's, he assured me that Apple are working with Philips on fixing the issue but unfortunately the only thing that can be done in the mean time is to keep the Apple TV 4K up to date.
I've yet to hear back from Philips...
So again I will post should anything new arise.
Sorry not much help, the more people that log issues the better.

Thanks all.

I've spoke with an Apple technician, It didn't take him long to find out that there have been numerous reports on the issue of Dolby Vision with Apple TV's 4K connected to the Philips TV's, he assured me that Apple are working with Philips on fixing the issue but unfortunately the only thing that can be done in the mean time is to keep the Apple TV 4K up to date.
I've yet to hear back from Philips...
So again I will post should anything new arise.
Sorry not much help, the more people that log issues the better.

Thanks all.
Hi mate, great to hear you're having some progress with Philips. I had a case open with them but sadly they stopped responding to my communications about a month ago.

Just a reminder that this is not an Apple TV issue. This appears to affect any device that uses tunneling over HDMI to transfer the DV signal, which works fine on other brands of TV. This issue is identical on the other two most popular streaming devices; the Shield TV and the 4K Firestick.

Hi all,

Looks like Apple have acknowlledged there is a problem and are working with Philips which is great news. Hopefully whatever fix is rolled out is done on the TV side which fixes all issues with DV over HDMI.

It'll be a bit too late for me though as I got fed up with Philips and their responses, so I've moved on to pastures new and bought a LG 65" B9. I still have the Philips 55", just trying to decide what to do with it.

Shame as I liked the Philips it was apart from the DV fiasco a nice TV.

However, I really don't have much luck with TVs as the LG isn't perfect!

My stereo amp (Bel Canto) which has a toroidal transformer in it is picking some what I think is very bad DC feedback in to the mains from the TV and is buzzing like hell when the TV is on. So much so that I've switched the amp off rather than keep it on standby. The CD player which is a Resolution Audio Opus 21 is doing the same but on a much quieter (as in ear right next to it) scale.

The amp though sounds like an angry wasp.

That is not thing that never happened with the Philips :-|

Kind regards

Rob

Hi mate, great to hear you're having some progress with Philips. I had a case open with them but sadly they stopped responding to my communications about a month ago.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like

Just a reminder that this is not an Apple TV issue. This appears to affect any device that uses tunneling over HDMI to transfer the DV signal, which works fine on other brands of TV. This issue is identical on the other two most popular streaming devices; the Shield TV and the 4K Firestick.
Hi all,

Looks like Apple have acknowlledged there is a problem and are working with Philips which is great news. Hopefully whatever fix is rolled out is done on the TV side which fixes all issues with DV over HDMI.

It'll be a bit too late for me though as I got fed up with Philips and their responses, so I've moved on to pastures new and bought a LG 65" B9. I still have the Philips 55", just trying to decide what to do with it.

Shame as I liked the Philips it was apart from the DV fiasco a nice TV.

However, I really don't have much luck with TVs as the LG isn't perfect!

My stereo amp (Bel Canto) which has a toroidal transformer in it is picking some what I think is very bad DC feedback in to the mains from the TV and is buzzing like hell when the TV is on. So much so that I've switched the amp off rather than keep it on standby. The CD player which is a Resolution Audio Opus 21 is doing the same but on a much quieter (as in ear right next to it) scale.

The amp though sounds like an angry wasp.

That is not thing that never happened with the Philips :-|

Kind regards

Rob

Hi Rob, I think it’s wise to inform all parties involved including Apple given they would prefer their devices being compatible with everything. I’m not going to hold my breath for a fix tho. The only thing that’s stopped me from returning the Philips (again! Dead pixels in the 1st) is the fact it’s Ambilight which we love.
the 4KSHD looks respectable enough to be able to view movies at an enjoyable level. But it’s niggling a way at me as all my movies are on Apple TV And quite a lot with Dolby Vision.
I think my missus is getting pissed off at me she’s not as fussy as me and wouldn’t know DV if it slapped her in the face. She’ll quite happily watch SD freeview channels without noticing ha!! :)
I think I’ll stick with the Philips for now.
Sorry to hear about the interference with your LG!
Our Philips has replaced our old faulty LG because the screen went blue after 2 years so like yourself not much luck with TVs.
Good Luck with it all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom