Advice Needed!

JohnyRouge

Novice Member
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on which way to go for my new TV.

Minimum 65 inch

Budget around 2k

For medium to bright room, but will have blackout blinds if having a film night.

Casual gamer but will be investing in a PS5 in the future.

Most content will be streamed from my Nvidia shield.

Was pretty much sold on the Philips OLED 854, but I'd like something bigger. Also will the lack of HDMI 2.1 really matter if I'm a casual gamer?!
Should I go QLED instead?!

Any advice most welcome. I've read threads and watched countless videos but I'm still not sure which way to go?!

Thanks.

JR

Dodgexander

Was pretty much sold on the Philips OLED 854, but I'd like something bigger. Also will the lack of HDMI 2.1 really matter if I'm a casual gamer?!
That is really up to you. Its not needed, but its certainly a nice-to-have.
Should I go QLED instead?!
QLED is just Samsung's name for their higher end LCD TVs. They are still LCD TVs!
Any advice most welcome. I've read threads and watched countless videos but I'm still not sure which way to go?!
I'd go for the LG C9, and if not available any more, wait for the LG CX to come down. They are great all round TVs anyway, the best for gaming and they should support HDMI 2.1 features like VRR in the future.

Most sensible thing would be to wait to buy until you also buy a next gen console, that way if you have any trouble getting HDMI 2.1 stuff to work, you can return the TV. 2k should be plenty for a 65" OLED as long as you buy at a sensible time. For the 2020 CX, probably you'd want to buy Black Friday 2020 or later, but since the consoles are being released later this year the best time to buy would be together with one of those.

JohnyRouge

Novice Member
I did look at the c9 but the Philips 854 had a better picture, or so I was told, and upscaling...

Do you not rare the Philips then?

And if I wanted to go bigger than 65" what would you recommend??

Basically I'm about to buy my first home, and it's a converted school, with the living room being the old school hall. The ceiling is very tall so I'm thinking bigger is better, but I also don't want to compromise on picture quality. So ideally I'd want bigger, but I can't afford a bigger OLED

Dodgexander

I did look at the c9 but the Philips 854 had a better picture, or so I was told, and upscaling...
There's small differences in picture between all TVs because they are all use the same panels from LG. If you are mainly using an Nvidia shield you will be doing the upscaling on that anyway, so it doesn't make sense to value better upscaling.

In any case, I don't think Philips P5 Processor has better upscaling than the LG Alpha 9.
Do you not rare the Philips then?
You can see a comparison I made of all the OLEDs here, I rate them all, but each has its own strength and weakness. The LG C9 is the best all round TVs and best for gaming, which is why I think they would be best for you. If you value how the TV looks with sport because you like better motion, then perhaps the Philips is the better TV for you.

And if I wanted to go bigger than 65" what would you recommend??
With your budget you are really out of luck going bigger this time of year unless you can stretch the budget and find 2019 stock like the 75" Samsung Q85R or Q90R still...or the Sony 75XG9505. There's also an 82" Q70R but I think you can't find it any more.

Otherwise choices at larger sizes are poor, and you have to step down from an OLED to an LCD TV to get a TV affordable at a larger size.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom