Advice on 4K TV purchase

AudioNut83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I’m wanting to upgrade from my cheap but highly rated hisense 7120.
My main gripe with it is the dirty screen effect so I’m looking for something better, preferably something that won’t develop purple smudges like some lg, sony and samsungs do.
These are my current options

Sony 49 Inch KD49X7052PBU
Hisense 50 Inch 50U7QFTUK
LG 55 Inch 55UN7300
Samsung 43 Inch QE43Q60T

I’m leaning towards the Sony mostly, I would have bought the hisense ULED but apparently it suffers from poor motion handling, the Samsung seems great but I would prefer something larger.
My budget is £600, and half of that is in the form of a voucher so it has to be one of the above.
I am a little concerned that none of these will be a significant upgrade from what I have,if anyone knowledgeable here knows please do fill me in.
Any info on these in general would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hisense 50 Inch 50U7QFTUK if its a VA screen it will be the best one or the Sony but maybe ips. but the 50 inch defo be VA.

Hisense is the best as its the only FALD TV in the list. I'd strongly advise waiting and buying a better overall FALD TV when prices come down such as the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9505 though.

That way you'll be upgrading in both motion, screen uniformity and you'll get a TV that can cope with HDR without trouble.

If buying now consider a Sony XG9005, XF9005 or XG9505 from here: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

Hisense is the best as its the only FALD TV in the list. I'd strongly advise waiting and buying a better overall FALD TV when prices come down such as the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9505 though.

That way you'll be upgrading in both motion, screen uniformity and you'll get a TV that can cope with HDR without trouble.

If buying now consider a Sony XG9005, XF9005 or XG9505 from here: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread
I would definitely buy elsewhere if I could, unfortunately half the money is a voucher so I can only shop at one store, all the above are the best options as far as I can tell within my budget.
I know the hisense has motion issues/ghosting but I’m not 100 percent sure if it’s been fixed with a firmware update?
Because I can’t find enough information stating the issue is fixed I’m leaning towards the Sony but again, I have no idea if it’s a significant step up from what I have at the moment?

Problem is the time of year you are buying. Your cash right now isn't going to stretch very far at all. The Hisense is by far the best of that bunch but still suffers from big weaknesses such as a 60hz panel and limited peak brightness.

Its a hell of a lot better than the other ones you've picked out, or in fact anything that you can presently buy if you are limited to 2020 models. But I'd personally set my eyes a bit higher.

If you need to return your current TV now and you have one you can use as a stop gap. I'd return and ask for credit if possible. Then wait to buy come Black Friday to make your money go a bit farther.

Motion/ghosting is a trait of TVs using slow VA type panels. Any ghosting or poor motion on the Hisense U7Q should be similar to your current TV. You can read about the pros and cons of panel types here:

Without reaching 120hz VA panels in budget, you have to make a compromise. So if you want a TV with less ghosting and better motion and can only afford a 60hz panel then LG or Sony are a better bet (49, 55" sizes only) but then you open up the negative traits of an IPS type panel which is worse blacks, contrast and in particular screen uniformity which will likely be worse on those models than compared to your current TV.

Problem is the time of year you are buying. Your cash right now isn't going to stretch very far at all. The Hisense is by far the best of that bunch but still suffers from big weaknesses such as a 60hz panel and limited peak brightness.

Its a hell of a lot better than the other ones you've picked out, or in fact anything that you can presently buy if you are limited to 2020 models. But I'd personally set my eyes a bit higher.

If you need to return your current TV now and you have one you can use as a stop gap. I'd return and ask for credit if possible. Then wait to buy come Black Friday to make your money go a bit farther.

Motion/ghosting is a trait of TVs using slow VA type panels. Any ghosting or poor motion on the Hisense U7Q should be similar to your current TV. You can read about the pros and cons of panel types here:

Without reaching 120hz VA panels in budget, you have to make a compromise. So if you want a TV with less ghosting and better motion and can only afford a 60hz panel then LG or Sony are a better bet (49, 55" sizes only) but then you open up the negative traits of an IPS type panel which is worse blacks, contrast and in particular screen uniformity which will likely be worse on those models than compared to your current TV.

I would love this Sony
Sony 55 Inch KD55XF9005BU
but it says that they can’t deliver to my address, and pickup is miles away so I’m a bit tied to those on the list :/
I need something that has Dolby vision for Apple TV, something that won’t have any audio delay when plugged into external speakers, the OS isn’t a serious issue as I’ll be using Apple TV anyway, what is important is sharpness, little or preferably no dirty screen effect/posterization or motion issues, and Dolby vision.
Anything from 49 inch and above is fine.
I will put some kind of bias lighting behind the TV to help with anything unsightly, if that really does work?
You seem very knowledgeable, much more than myself as I’m sure many others are here also.
My current hisense is not bad, it just suffers with a bit too much posterization/dirty screen effect and I feel like I can get better extending my budget.
I’m in the U.K and am tied to Argos for choices, budget is absolute max of £650, if yourself or anybody else could spare time to check out the range within my budget I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

am tied to Argos for choices

Do you have a voucher or is there some other reason?

The reason to ask is that other retailers do 5/6 year warranty as standard on TV's, which they will deliver to you, but Argos does only one year and doesn't have the range some others do.

EDIT - I see you do have a voucher for ~half the value. If you can, would you consider keeping it for something else and shopping elsewhere?

The Sony Centre do refurbs at great prices around your budget with 5 year warranties.

I’m in the U.K and am tied to Argos for choices
This here lays the biggest problem. Together with the time of year you are buying and limited to only new 2020 stock from Argos you will have to overpay for whichever TV you go for. This is just the trend of pricing in the TV market, and is the same each year around this time.

Strictly limiting yourself to Argos the best you'll pick up right now is the Hisense U7Q, and that is only because Hisense don't quite over charge on new products quite like the rest of the manufacturers do on their newly released TVs.

A much better option if they will deliver is the Sony refurb store as mentioned above already.

Alternatively, if you can hold on to your voucher and have a TV you can use interim, wait to buy at a better time of year. At very least Black Friday 2020 or later.

The XF9005 would be a fab TV if you can get it.
If you have vouchers or such for Argos, could you use them for something else, sell them to a mate or something?

reason is XF9005 will show HDR to a good standard and as a 2019 (or maybe 2018) TV, it is fantastic value.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom